Advice needed on an "Open FAC Ticket"

Jamie

Hi folks.

I'm after a little advice regarding whether I should request an open ticket or not?

Since I've retired I've put the word about that I'm able to do a bit of "free" pest control, On the understanding it'll be done when I have the time.

Anyhow since meeting a farmer through a friend, the farmer has contacted me and has asked if I can come and take care of a few foxes and rabbits for him on his farm. This has lead to his son asking for the same help to on his land. And also another friend of theirs as has asked the same to! Happy days!

I've also got 2 other relatively new permissions, (Not that big) and another I've used for air rifle and shotgun only for years, that I've been meaning to ask if it can be authorised for fac.

I already shoot on 2 permissions which have been sanctioned by West Mercia Police, but my fac is the closed type.

My questions are,

1. with another 6 locations, (If suitable for fac) will I be entitled to an open ticket regarding the calibres the feo deems suitable for that land?

2. Can WMP decline to visit so many locations on my behalf, if those locations are not already "On record"?

3. Should I just ask for an open ticket due to so many permissions being given, and the likelihood of more in the future?

Just to add that other than a break of around 6 years when the kids were born, I have handled guns most of my life. Albeit, mainly air rifle and shotguns. Only a few years experience of firearms.

Constructive opinions appreciated, especially from "open ticket" members.

Just to add that I kind of like the idea of getting into the "Pest Control" business. Albeit, I'm sure there is a huge amount of red tape to get through to do this, along with some "official" courses....

Cheers

Jamie

When I asked for mine to be opened up, I told them about being asked to do a lot of vermin control near horses, thus the shotgun being too noisy, and as the land hadn't been shot over/cleared before, by the time they get out to 'clear' it, I'd lose the job, and somebody else would have done it, the people want it done 'now' not in three weeks or so that it takes for it to be cleared, as it was then classed as 'business use' they opened it up, after 7 months.

As you are retired, but are wanting to 'supplement your income' by doing these jobs, I'd like to think your police service would look upon it favourably.

Pete

i would go for it especially with so many locations coming on board.Some may already have been looked by the Police which will help matters.Have an informal word with your FEO and sound him out.Much will depend on how long you have held your Firearm Cert but if as intimated in your text a few years coupled with your maturity cant see why you should be refused.Good luck!!Richard.

+1 on replies,esp richard's specific advice- have an informal chat with your FLO-ASAP.Honesty is the only policy,but you seem in a good position with permissions lined up for vermin/foxes."Being paid ad hoc" isn't really a criterion-the police remit is much more to do with public safety-and of course the law (so deer are another issue,for example),hence the 'other land deemed suitable'-but it looks pretty positive so far.

Gbal

Just request it with that many locations , i remember having to wait till i had it in writing ( for my 2nd rifle permission ! ) from the firearms , and after at least 3 calls - a year had past i got it , my renewal came a couple of year later and i put in for OPEN and got it 17 and 223 , stupid thing is they never told me ! Till i phoned them ! lol Christ !

Thanks for the replies folks.

I think i'll just ring my local feo and explain my circumstances and see what he says....

Having worked in the Police for a long time, they usually go for the easy/quickest option, so honesty may hopefully be the best policy...

204 Rem, your post made me chuckle. :) In all honesty, I'm conscientious that having too much land/permissions can end up being a bad thing, with spreading yourself too thin.

Only time will tell...

Cheers

Jamie

I got granted an open ticket straight off. simply because I had so many permissions and requests for vermin control straight away. I too had many years shotgun experience

Hello Jamie,

What calibres do you want open with?

Regards Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm trying to cover whatever situation I may encounter in the future, with my possible venture into "Pest Control", but keep it reasonable and realistic. Also, one of the permissions apparently has race horses and stables.

So with that in mind I'd like to have something to bridge the gap between 12lbs air rifle and a 90 (ish) lbs subsonic 22LR.

so fac air, .22wmr, and 223Rem.

I'd need to put a variation in for the fac air, as I don't currently have authority.

I know you can get 45 ft lb .22LR ammo, but it seems few and far between regarding supply. I've also tried some of the low power subsonic ammo, but found them quite poor regarding accuracy. At least in my rifle anyhow.

Cheers

Jamie

Hello Jamie,

Give them a call about shooting over more and more farms and the odd problem fox with lambing. Ask them about visiting each farm to pass it off for each caliber.

They may suggest an open ticket. They don't want the work plus it's coming up their busy time of year.

July is expected 11,400 FAC and shotgun renewals!

And do ask for something for deer if you want to go the pest control route.

I can ask at Worcester Norton if anyone else is in the same boat as you.

Regards Phil

Hello Jamie,

Give them a call about shooting over more and more farms and the odd problem fox with lambing. Ask them about visiting each farm to pass it off for each caliber.

They may suggest an open ticket. They don't want the work plus it's coming up their busy time of year.

July is expected 11,400 FAC and shotgun renewals!

And do ask for something for deer if you want to go the pest control route.

I can ask at Worcester Norton if anyone else is in the same boat as you.

Regards Phil

Thanks for the advice Phil, much appreciated. :)

Thanks for the advice Phil, much appreciated. :)

Hi,

Do say how experienced you are and have been shooting for more years than you care to remember.

You want to build up an image of a experienced safe shooter and you can be trusted to make a good safe decision when shooting.

And you have a need to visit farms that have not been cleared for the carlibre

but can still be safe to shoot over. Being that odd problem fox or deer.

If they do visit a ground that may be a bit flat, say you are going to build a high seat to shoot from.

Good luck ☺

Suffolk wanted me to hold a FAC for 5 years before they would grant Open.

When I explained that I had had an Open ticket 40 years ago (which lapsed when I went overseas) they granted it, no question, after 2 - 3 years, I think it was, on the current FAC. Demonstrate the experience and a conscientious approach.

Good luck.

Jamie I had to wait five years before applying for an open ticket which was then granted by Derbyshire police how long have you had your ticket for mate

jamie i had the same thing with mine i phoned the feo and he said theres no problem just get a shooting partner or farmer to write a short note saying basicaly that your safe and competant with any rifle/shotguns etc i did it they opened it all up and put aolq on everything,

Suffolk wanted me to hold a FAC for 5 years before they would grant Open.

When I explained that I had had an Open ticket 40 years ago (which lapsed when I went overseas) they granted it, no question, after 2 - 3 years, I think it was, on the current FAC. Demonstrate the experience and a conscientious approach.

Good luck.

I was told / suggested to wait for 5 years , i did and applied when flo interview for renewal . Got it .

I was told / suggested to wait for 5 years , i did and applied when flo interview for renewal . Got it .

I wouldn't have a problem waiting 5 years or whatever gunner.

It's not that I'm hell bent on getting an "open ticket".

If "they" are happy to visit whatever land I want looked at, within a realistic time and sort my ticket out in a realistic workable time, to achieve what I want, or what is asked of me then great!

But going on what I've learn't, if I go that route, I'm likely to be pi55ed about from dawn till dusk with worthless promises and emails.

Maybe I'm wrong? Who knows....

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't have a problem waiting 5 years

I found that in my force (Cambs.) completing my DSC.1 was an "Open Sesame!" to an open FAC.

All I need now is some permissions...

8-(

maximus otter

I found that in my force (Cambs.) completing my DSC.1 was an "Open Sesame!" to an open FAC.

All I need now is some permissions...

8-(

maximus otter

That's interesting, I wonder if that would be the case in WMP....

Jamie

Archived