This happens when you don't case lube when neck sizing!!

Jamie

Neck sized x5 Rem once fired cases this morning.

The first was a little stiff when lowering the ram, and they got stiffer as I went.

I know you can buy dies that do not need any lubrication, but these aren't. They're the standard Hornady Dimesions neck sizer die, which has performed very well.

The last case was really stiff, and I needed to use a lot of force to lower the ram. In fact, so much that I ripped the neck clean off the shoulder!!! :o

I've always been lead to believe I didn't need to "lube" when neck-sizing, I won't be following that advice anymore.....

Please feel free to add any constructive comments....

splitbrasscase2.jpg

splitbrasscase-1.jpg

Best to lube both inside (if using expander ball) and outside (always) unless using the lee collet die.

Lube never ever hurt anything.

I use graphite powder inside and Imperial Sizing Wax outside.

jamie

as already mentioned no harm done and a lesson learned-whatever lube you use it is easy to remove i wipe off with paper towel then bung the cases in the tumbler for 15 mins while the kettles boiling.move on now to your next mistake thats the joy of reloading you are always learning.

Certainly has been a lesson learnt Treetop! :( I've binned the other 5 cases, just in case they were on the limit of break-up when sized....Then smoothly out again, until it went over the expander-ball on the outward stroke, where it just would not pass over without a lot of force.

I've outside neck-turned the brass, but in all honesty, only the least amount possible has been removed. Only the slight "high spots" here and there. However, I do wonder if I've maybe turned the necks slightly too far, and have gone into the shoulder and weakened the neck at that joint?? If this appears to be a contributing factor, would I be better off, neck-turning, but stopping a few thou short of the shoulder?? I know neck-turning for sporting rifle ammo is an emotive subject. But please put this to one side and advise, (if you wish to) on the issue itself.... Constructive opinions are always appreciated.....

Interestingly, I've heard of graphite being used as a dry lubricant before. As it's dry, I'd prefer to use it on the inside and outside of the neck if possible. Would this be ok? And can it be purchased in powder form, or do I need to crush up a dozen pencils?? :unsure:

Cheers

Jamie

into the

deleted.

Whoever gave you that advice was getting his wires crossed! The only neck die that you can get away without using lube is the Lee Collet Die, but even then I use a very small amount of imperial on the outside.

Thanks Jagged 77, Is the "Imperial" the known best/better brands out there?

Thanks

Jamie

Get yourself some Redding dies and a Titanium Nitride bushing and sizing button then you wont have to lube :-)

You were lucky it ripped off the neck, usually it is the rim that goes sometimes taking the central rod with it. Then you have to jack the knackered case out of the die with a stuck case removal kit or home made equivalent

Redding Imperial sizing wax is wonderful stuff as is their dry lube stuff for inside necks

Mark

Get yourself some Redding dies and a Titanium Nitride bushing and sizing button then you wont have to lube :-)

You were lucky it ripped off the neck, usually it is the rim that goes sometimes taking the central rod with it. Then you have to jack the knackered case out of the die with a stuck case removal kit or home made equivalent

Redding Imperial sizing wax is wonderful stuff as is their dry lube stuff for inside necks

Mark for the info Mark

Thanks for the imput Mark.

I like my Hornady dies, so want to keep using them. So it looks like I need some decent lube....

I have a tube of Lee Lube, which seems to do the job. However, I've nothing to compare it to, as I've not used anything else.

As Lee seems to be in the lower end of the brand named reloading kit items, I presume I'd be right in thinking imperial sizing wax is a lot better quality?

I have found the Imperial outside lube, and dry graphite type internal neck sizing lube on the "net". Is there any reason why you could not use just one of the 2 for inside and outside, to simplify procedures? The most likely being the graphite, as I presume it's less messy, and less likely to pick-up f.o.d?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie...in my view you are best advised to use the graphite for the inside of the neck as it ensures no contamination within the case....I don't think that a slight 'smidge' of Imp Size Wax on the inside would hurt anything but its not worth the risk when its so easy to apply the graphite...it comes as a coating to some tiny steel or ceramic balls....just dip the case neck in and wipe off any that sticks to the outside.

The outside is best lubed with wax as it takes the major 'crush' via the die and the wax wipes off real easy as well as being a superb lube with just a tiny amount applied.

Jamie,

Let's put this in perspective.

Lee water based lube v Imperial sizing wax.

The Imperial seems to require HALF the effort I need with the Lee stuff - well worth the spend.

Comes in a small metal tub (keep on your press with a magnet so it is always to hand) and a dab of your finger will do about five cases. So, it costs a bit more, but lasts forever and makes your cases slide like a greased weasel.

Don't hesitate - spend on both graphite and wax, try it on the cases once, smile and never go back!

Rgds

Ian :)

Thanks for constructive replies folks, Imperial graphite and wax it is then! :)

Not seen or used the Bio wax (is this new?)....Imperial Sizing Wax has been used forever and looks like Vaseline at first glance....the joy of it is the miniscule amount you need and the ease of removal after operations.....tin last forever.

How many times had you fired these cases?

Good point, I forgot to add that. New Rem brass, used twice.

Hello,

Is this Imperial Bio Green wax to use?

Jamie, where do you shop at for your reloading bits?

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

I usually wait to build up enough of a list to warrant going to Norman Clark's.

Failing that Bromsgrove Shooting Supplies, then UK Custom Shop in Droitwich.

Jamie

Not seen or used the Bio wax (is this new?)....Imperial Sizing Wax has been used forever and looks like Vaseline at first glance....the joy of it is the miniscule amount you need and the ease of removal after operations.....tin last forever.

Hello DaveT,

Not sure if it's new. It's called Redding Imperial Bio Green. Easy to apply and a tiny amount and easy to wipe off.

I went to Norman Clarks last weekend and just said I needed some lube (new to reloading rifles)

It's seems good stuff but I've not used anything else.

Phil :-)

Hello DaveT,

Not sure if it's new. It's called Redding Imperial Bio Green. Easy to apply and a tiny amount and easy to wipe off.

I went to Norman Clarks last weekend and just said I needed some lube (new to reloading rifles)

Hi Phil,

I usually wait to build up enough of a list to warrant going to Norman Clark's.

Failing that Bromsgrove Shooting Supplies, then UK Custom Shop in Droitwich.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I went to Norman Clarks last weekend. Went all that way thinking they would have an RCBS case trimmer but they were out of stock :-(

I'm getting one when they go to the Phoenix at Bisley in May.

But still spent loads on other stuff!

Did you want anything when I see them in May? Don't mind getting it for you.

Regards Phil

Hello DaveT,

Hi Jamie,

I went to Norman Clarks last weekend. Went all that way thinking they would have an RCBS case trimmer but they were out of stock :-(

I'm getting one when they go to the Phoenix at Bisley in May.

But still spent loads on other stuff!

Did you want anything when I see them in May? Don't mind getting it for you.

Regards Phil

Cheers for the offer Phil.

What's the Phoenix at Bisley?

If a shooting show, I may go to.

Jamie

Cheers for the offer Phil.

What's the Phoenix at Bisley?

If a shooting show, I may go to.

Jamie

Hi,

It used to be a big international comp when we had pistols.

Its gallery rifle now. Still a good show but I go for the comps.

I have a supergrade Tony Kidd rifle. .22lr Superb rifle! A posh 10/22 really.

They do the McQueen's too.

Have a look on the NRA web site. Under gallery rifle events.

Kind regards Phil

Good point, I forgot to add that. New Rem brass, used twice.

The kind of neck separation you depict, I have only noticed on work hardened cases after repeated firing and no annealing. Might it be that the brass has not been annealed properly and has nothing to do with your technique? In my (costly and bothersome) experience, if a case is not appropriately lubed it gets well and truly stuck...

Just a thought, particularly as you are using...god, it's hard to say the brand name...brass??

Best wishes

Finman

Hi,

It used to be a big international comp when we had pistols.

Its gallery rifle now. Still a good show but I go for the comps.

I have a supergrade Tony Kidd rifle. .22lr Superb rifle! A posh 10/22 really.

They do the McQueen's too.

Have a look on the NRA web site. Under gallery rifle events.

Kind regards Phil

Cheers Phil, will do :)

Jamie

Archived