Turning Down action screws

This post is a follow on about my action screws:

Fella's

I finally got to a local fastner supplier who has given me FoC (There are still some good people on the planet) a couple of high tensile screws to fit my action now that I have the Mac A5 fitted.

The heads need turning down a little and whilst he recommended an angle grinder, I want the job to look good and was wondering if I sent a new action screw and new ones the gentleman has given me would some kind soul turn down the head on a lathe for me? I am happy to cover all costs etc.

If anyone can help would you let me know?

Cheers

OA

If you have a couple of nuts that I can split to hold the bolts in the chuck you are welcome to send them to me to do.

Otherwise I'll have to make a fixture to hold them securely before turning, which means buying relevant tap etc etc etc.

PM me if you havent had any other offer closer to home.

Thanks Fella's

ChrisR Don't need them back urgently I have the old screw in place holding it all together but its a bit short and half knackered from the smithy loctiting them in, took a bit of effort to get them out and when I did it half knackered the head but it is useable. Am having it bedded in about a month if this helps?

Ronin, they are a straight forward 6mm thread so I could get nuts for them.

Both, they are high tensile, thats what the guy told me they were.

Thanks

OA

OA if your not already sorted send them to me.

I've got plenty of 6 mm nuts etc so just need a sample and the ones for modifying.

PM me if you need any more help.

Dasherman

apologies mate I only have 3, 4 and 6 jaw chucks - no collets for the lathe (but I have them for my mill)

Would I be correct in saying that even with collets, there is still the risk of catching the threads (crush damage)

Hence sacrificial split nut idea.

Dasherman

apologies mate I only have 3, 4 and 6 jaw chucks - no collets for the lathe (but I have them for my mill)

Would I be correct in saying that even with collets, there is still the risk of catching the threads (crush damage)

Hence sacrificial split nut idea.

a bit of crush on the thread is fine for OA, doesn't need any loctite then :)

Ronin, For set screws ( fully threaded) then you are right, split nuts is the best, least damaging and relatively quick.

Collet chucks don't tend to damage surfaces generally but for bolts (plain shanks) they are the best and quickest. You can't beat the concentricity and repeatability of a collet. If you need to remove the item for trial fit etc then setting back up is where they excel. Problem or downside with them is you don't want to be putting black bar in them as this is not truly round and you will start forcing things.

I used to make a lot of fitted bolts snd screws for the aircraft industry, to ensure concentricity and avoid thread damage when turning the head, they were held in split aluminium bushes bored to a couple of thou biger then the thread.

These bushings were then held in the collet chuck.

Ian

Archived