Replacement Bullet for Berger 105gn Hybrid?

walkabout

I have only about 300 6mm Berger 105 Hybrids left and they are really hard to get, and nobody seems to have them on back order?

I have about 900 115 DTACS which are good, but would like to develop a load for longrange in my 6x47L with bullets that are more readily available in the UK.

Any recommendations?

Berger has really ramped its production volumes up. The company had five bullet making machines in use at the beginning of last year, it's now eight, and it'll be eleven later this year. So, I'd expect supply to catch up with orders over the coming months. Having said that, the 105gn Hybrid has been a big hit in the US, so there may be more of them produced.

As Tony says, Lapua supply should remain pretty good and the 105gn Scenar is a gtood bullet. Also, have you tried the 107gn Sierra MK? If your barrel likes it, it's a superb performer and a lot cheaper than the Berger. I think they're still available in this country in 500-ct boxes. Try Henry Krank and Norman Clark.

Berger has really ramped its production volumes up. The company had five bullet making machines in use at the beginning of last year, it's now eight, and it'll be eleven later this year. So, I'd expect supply to catch up with orders over the coming months. Having said that, the 105gn Hybrid has been a big hit in the US, so there may be more of them produced.

As Tony says, Lapua supply should remain pretty good and the 105gn Scenar is a gtood bullet. Also, have you tried the 107gn Sierra MK? If your barrel likes it, it's a superb performer and a lot cheaper than the Berger. I think they're still available in this country in 500-ct boxes. Try Henry Krank and Norman Clark.

+1 on the 107 gn SMKs but HPS were out of stock the last time I rang and I took Norman Clark's last box the other week.

Thanks guys

The 105 Scenar a BC of 0.248

The 107 SMK's have a BC of 0.258

Berger 105 VLD BC of 0.272

Berger 105 BT BC of 0.252

Berger 105 Hybrid BC of 0.278

The 115 DTAC a BC of 0.276

So you can see the Berger Hybrid and DTAC are the go to bullets

I really want to keep it above a BC of 0.270, so I might give the VLD a try, they can be finicky to get to going but that's part of the fun!

The 115 DTAC might have a BC that matches the 105 Hybrid and VLD, but its greater weight sees lower MVs which more than offset the BC. This shows up in the Form Factor values which compare a bullet's form (shape) efficiency against that of the 'reference standard' shape projectile.

The reference bullet always has Form Factor (i value) of 1.000 and lower is better (lower drag) than the standard shape, higher is poorer (more drag).

The i7 value for the 115gn DTAC is 1.007, worse than the 107gn SMK (0.994), but better than the Scenar (1.025).

The 105gn Bergers are 0.933 (VLD) and 0.914 (Hybrid).

Archived