Digital Scales

Brillo

For all you guys out there who use them, what is the recommendation for accurate and reliable digital scales that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks

I had a Hornady Lock n Load bench scale and it was very accurate and consistent at what I considered a fair price.

I only sold it because I bought a targetmaster and they naturally don't work with electronic scales.

That said, I'd recommend an RCBS 505 or 1010 coupled to a targetmaster over any digital scale.

You hear most folk knocking electronic scales but I have always found them to be consistent and convenient. Use a thrower and trickle up to weight. Easy! They can vary a tiny bit as temp changes but hey put the heating on in advance. I am currently using a scale that I got off eBay for £49. I always check the calibration beforîe during and after use and, so long as the temperature doesn't change dramatically, it has never wavered from being spot on. It measures to 1/100grain in .02 steps so I guess that's 1/50 of a grain so any variation would be very noticeable.

Prior to this I used 1/100gr £9.99 scales off eBay, ok they did break when I dropped them and you did have to load the platter in the same place every time but they were remarkably consistent if used within their ability.

All this stuff about strip lights affecting them and having to switch them on ages before you use them, I have never had a problem and rely on them completely.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get on with my rcbs 505 at all, feels like something prehistoric. I was thinking of getting a charge master or one of those gen 5 dispensing systems, are they any good?

I just want something thats really simple and doesn't involve any complicated reading off scales

After serious procrastination and a lot of research, I settled on these:

http://cambridgeenviro.com/productDetail.php?122g-x-0.001g-A-D-5-Year-Warranty-Top-Loading-Balance-5110

Seems to be the cheapest price around (Canadian $). I paid CA$400 three weeks ago but they put the price up the day after I paid <_< They arrived in NZ in 4 days!

They are proper magnetic force restoration scales, not a strain gauge type. This is critical if you don't want drift.

All user reviews suggest they are stable and do what you need. I'm very happy from what I've seen so far.

I used to use a Hornady GS-1500 scale,(around £35) before I bought an RCBS 505. With guidance from Allan, "1066", I carried out some of the "fine Tuning", that Allan carries out when providing his tuning service. This included the extended pointer, removing paint from the buttons and polishing them. Using a very fine oil stone to sharpen the "knife edges", weighted the base, and used a webcam linked to my laptop.

Out of 10 loads I weighed with my RCBS 505, only 1 was out when compared to my Hornady GS-1500, and that was only by .1 of a grain. The Hornady scales are very accurate and a real bargin.

Jamie

I am very happy with my Chargemaster and would replace it with another if it broke.

I used to use a Hornady GS-1500 scale,(around £35) before I bought an RCBS 505. With guidance from Allan, "1066", I carried out some of the "fine Tuning", that Allan carries out when providing his tuning service. This included the extended pointer, removing paint from the buttons and polishing them. Using a very fine oil stone to sharpen the "knife edges", weighted the base, and used a webcam linked to my laptop.

Out of 10 loads I weighed with my RCBS 505, only 1 was out when compared to my Hornady GS-1500, and that was only by .1 of a grain. The Hornady scales are very accurate and a real bargin.

Jamie

May grab one of those hornady ones then if they're a accurate, then eventually get a chargemaster. Cheers

Archived