Walking away from the target…

Today was a beautifully clear sunny spring morning up at the RRC, perfect for a peaceful moorland family walk on Mother's Day around our friends farm. The only catch being PCal & I needed a lookout or two, so the walk was fairly static once in position and the tranquillity was occasional interrupted by 95 grains of powder…

After arriving at 08.30 (07.30 old time thanks to the clocks changing), my mother and sister departed south 1 Km to setup an observation post on the opposite tor to the target hillside. PCal and I then proceeded to climb 500 yards in a northerly direction - we both commented along the way how illogical this hobby can appear at times!

After establishing a good firing position near the top, the 6'6" x 4' target granite slab and 8'x4' metal sheet was dialled in at 46.5 moa elevation and 7.5 moa windage. Through my IOR scope at 52x the target looked reassuringly large, yet was barley visible with the naked eye. The Swarovski 8x30 LRF confirmed the range at 1,500 yards. Shooting from a 1,000 feet up, with the target at around 700 feet and only two shallow moorland valleys far below, mid range wind indicators were basically non existent. Therefore we relied on some hazard tape placed behind the target and on the wind on our faces - plus a little kestrel help to start with.

After dialling over 60 feet of elevation and nearly 10 feet of windage from the 100 yard zero, the shot landed just 3 moa low (sounds better than missing by nearly 4 feet !), kicking up a good splash at the base of the granite. From here on in the shots remained on the slab and as I got used to the recoil/blast again after the winter break, the groups gradually tightened up on the sub moa aiming mark. The final 5 rounds were shot at the 17.25" Shoot N C target on the white washed metal sheet backer. Apart from missing a wind call, I'm fairly happy with the results and a promising start to the long range spring/summer season :)

Here are a couple of camera phone pictures from the morning, unfortunately the video camera hadn't read the script, so couldn't record the 2.25 second flight time or 4+ seconds it took for the impact sound to reach us. PCal's new 7.62 AIAE MKIII (last one to be sold in the UK I believe and ordered back from AINA which was stamped on the action), was used for spotting and at 32x the Sightron did very well easily picking up the rock flour produced on impact.

D3ZSyntDz1mLhdt5RmblS85CqzwRlh-zaJMirhA-

BziVXiibUk1MtU-N2bty3sjKPvC3vymQtG3EQA5F

PX0E3-nYARgIyTSmYKW0_s3EP1WLc504J0mHWExV

Any tips on applying paints so they flake off well when hit would be greatly appreciated, since both the holes in the metal sheet and targets could not be seen from the shooting position. However thankfully the perfectly square on granite slab works very well, with a great signature when hit, but it's not overly portable at 20+ tonnes :D

great stuff there tiff !

you will struggle to get the paint to flake off with your bullets penetrating , try slightly more resistant steel that should give you the effect your looking for?

I'm jealous!

Any tips on applying paints so they flake off well when hit would be greatly appreciated, since both the holes in the metal sheet and targets could not be seen from the shooting position. However thankfully the perfectly square on granite slab works very well, with a great signature when hit, but it's not overly portable at 20+ tonnes :D

Apply your target sheet to the rock with wall paper paste.

or

Use a plywood circular template to apply a perfect spray paint circle to the rock

or

Use a plasterboard target backer (free broken board from builders merchant) double layer it if nec - gives 'smoke' from behind the target when hit

Paint the backer with black gloss, when dried, apply liberal coats of white emulsion so it's nice and thick, the impact marks will be like shooting your shoot n see targets.

It'd help if you can secure the tin to some thick board too, but that might make it a touch too heavy to cart that far.

Or use one of those lidl spotting scopes, 8.6mm holes at 1500m no problem.

Oops, wrong way, 86mm holes at 1500cm is correct ;)

Good shooting buddy.

We paint out boards with a bright paint (orange) then when dry put a wide sellotape over it all. Then paint it black over the sellotape. The black paint flakes off easy leaving an orange ring around the bullet hole.

Sounds like a fun day you had, can't wait for the next RRC

If you can hold of a nice big piece of ar400 or 500 (the 400 hold up to .338 just fine) and paint with any white metal spray (hammerite, rustoleum) etc, the splashes are easily visible and you can see your groups). I got Bruce Hutton to make me a full size IPSC target which would be ideal for you. The added advantage is the sound of the impact.

Thanks very much for the comments. Using a stencil on the rock is a good idea, I'll get the jigsaw out and a full size IPSC is probably a good investment. I also particularly like the sellotape and paint idea, as I have loads of old sticky back plastic. I'll try some out and pin a 1mm metal sheet to a ridged wood frame to stretch the distance further - more portable than the granite slab!

How do you find the IOR 12 x 52 scope ?

Simply excellent. The scope is very well built and the 'clicks' are both positive and precise. It offers a huge elevation adjustment range (100 moa), so on this rifle with a one hundred yard zero I can dial in to around 2,200 yards and extend it to nearly 2.5 by using the reticule. Plus importantly spot my own shots at extended distance, without having to have a partner spotting (although it is always a help having another pair of eyes). I know some people found the early versions had sub-par glass, but mine is a newer model and optically brilliant - maybe the new ones are better, I have an especially good one or it simply suits my eyes well I don't know - but it works for me :) .

The reticule is also very well thought out and intuitive to use, offering Mil calibration @ 14.4x (handy if spotting for a friend running in mils), MOA @ 26x and 1/2 MOA @ 52x with very noticeable 'indexing dents/bumps' on the magnification ring; so you know when it's at the correct setting to bracket a shot etc. without having to break position and look at the scope. Also the mid tube parallax is easy to get used to and works very well, offering a very sharp image from an amazingly close 7 yards away. If you're interested in one, it may be worth doing a search on the forum, since I think I've posted about it before - possibly with some images etc. Also if you're ever down here you are more than welcome to have a look at mine.

Simply excellent. The scope is very well built and the 'clicks' are both positive and precise. It offers a huge elevation adjustment range (100 moa), so on this rifle with a one hundred yard zero I can dial in to around 2,200 yards and extend it to nearly 2.5 by using the reticule. Plus importantly spot my own shots at extended distance, without having to have a partner spotting (although it is always a help having another pair of eyes). I know some people found the early versions had sub-par glass, but mine is a newer model and optically brilliant - maybe the new ones are better, I have an especially good one or it simply suits my eyes well I don't know - but it works for me :) .

The reticule is also very well thought out and intuitive to use, offering Mil calibration @ 14.4x (handy if spotting for a friend running in mils), MOA @ 26x and 1/2 MOA @ 52x with very noticeable 'indexing dents/bumps' on the magnification ring; so you know when it's at the correct setting to bracket a shot etc. without having to break position and look at the scope. Also the mid tube parallax is easy to get used to and works very well, offering a very sharp image from an amazingly close 7 yards away. If you're interested in one, it may be worth doing a search on the forum, since I think I've posted about it before - possibly with some images etc. Also if you're ever down here you are more than welcome to have a look at mine.

We compared a 24x IOR against a nightforce whilst we were doing the work up for the quarry a cople of weeks ago and there was no discernible differece between the two optically. Very impressed. The newer ones seem to be lighter than previous models too.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can hold of a nice big piece of ar400 or 500 (the 400 hold up to .338 just fine) and paint with any white metal spray (hammerite, rustoleum) etc, the splashes are easily visible and you can see your groups). I got Bruce Hutton to make me a full size IPSC target which would be ideal for you. The added advantage is the sound of the impact.

I've just finished making a full size IPSC from 10 mm Hardox 400. I cut it using a 6mm ply template and fast plasma cutter that will go through 60 mm plate, so no real heat is transferred when cutting 'thin' 10 mm sheets. Just need to drill a couple of holes in the 'shoulders' for hanging and will give it a test around a mile...

IMG_0168_zpse3c3cdff.jpg

If anyone attending the RRC would like one, please let me know a.s.a.p. and I can supply them at the Spring RRC for £125 :)

I took one of my gongs to a machinist that I know of - they're used to tough Ni alloy material and used a carbide bit with low speed and feed to drill the holes.

I just blow holes with the cutting torch or plasma cutter , rough but it works !

Archived