34mm rings to 30mm with nylon sleeves? is nylon ok to use?

pwinnall

Hi, me being cheap have got a set of 34mm AI rings and was going to sleeve it down to 30mm for a night force.

Is nylon ok to use as sleeves? It is industrial type nylon.

Or should I use aluminium?

Thanks phil.

Ps. Its only for a .260 rem

I had a customer with a 26mm scope tube, I used 30mm rings with black Delrin inserts. I left a small shoulder on eachinsert to stop any possibilty of the insert moving forward in the rings. I found that I only needed to make one cut in the inserts and I was able to slip the insert over the scope, as the reduction is the same, i.e. 4mm you should be

able to do the same. The rifle was a stalker weight 6.5 x 55mm the mod is still performing perfectly OK.

I had a customer with a 26mm scope tube, I used 30mm rings with black Delrin inserts. I left a small shoulder on eachinsert to stop any possibilty of the insert moving forward in the rings. I found that I only needed to make one cut in the inserts and I was able to slip the insert over the scope, as the reduction is the same, i.e. 4mm you should beable to do the same. The rifle was a stalker weight 6.5 x 55mm the mod is still performing perfectly OK.

Hi,

Yes, A small shoulder would look neat too.

I'll get some made tomorrow ☺

Thanks

Phil

Delrin has the disadvantage to flow under pressure. Might not be much.

Nylon has the disadvantage to take up water in moist conditions and dry out in dry conditions. Volume changes slightly.

In the case of the rings I don't think one would notice.

I would go Nylon if Peek or other snazzy materials would not be available.

edi

I would get the right rings.

2nd that , but is up to you phil ;)

Archived