22-250 bullet choice

dRb

Ok, so bought some 53grn vmax today to load up tomorrow when my shiny new loading kit arrives.

Pretty much went for 53 over the 50 I had in mind due to shop reconmendation about much better BC, and having only chosen 50's on a whim...now realising that my 1:14 barrel (assumed, it's on a tang safety ruger m77 if anyone knows otherwise) isn't going to spin them up enough.

So; what do I buy tomorrow in their place?

A. Lightest Vmax going and play silly speeds

B. The 50 I had in mind as it is awesome

C. Barking up the wrong tree, you want...

I use the rifle for vermin/fox and for noisy plinking, ranges tend to be 300yrds and lower realisticslly.

You will probably find the 50gr blitsking shoot just as good if not better than the 53 vmax anyway plus your only shooting 300 yards, I've done tiny groups out my 223 ackley at 300 yards with a 40gr nozler before now. So a 50 at that range will be fine

Gaz

I shoot 55gr SBK and SGK and SHP all in 55gr out my 1:14twist 22-250 mate.

36gr R15.

3650fps

SBK are way forward I've never tried anything lighter. I shot some 53gr vamp through it they were poo. Bullet is designed for .223 so talking 1:12 twist or faster. Just don't bother trying or take them back and swap. 50gr may shoot slightly flatter out to 300yrds but I can shoot out to three hundred too. It's a point and shoot out to 250yrds.

Hope this helps.

CZV

P.s. Father in law has a ruger, I'm sure his is 1:12. Just double check online mate.

CZ - I spent some time yesterday looking for official Ruger info On twist rate, but I think the gun is from so far back before the internet that it's not been bothered with?

Tried the measuring with a cleaning rod thing too, but failed to get a repeatable result. However it seemed to lean towards 1:14.

I'm going to try and buy the SBK 50's today, and I'll hang on to the 53 vmax as if my load developing doesn't make tge old Ruger shoot better, I'm getting a Rem700 tactical in .223 with its 1:9 or whatever twist rate :)

60gr Berger match varmints :)

A great bullet but sadly not really in a 14 twist.

My .22-250 likes 60 grain V max and that's a 12 twist.

The Berger 52 grain varmint bullet is another good choice.

Cheers

Dave

Hi,both gaz6br and 6mmBr give good advice.You can check out much of this on Accurate Shooter site (22/250).

If you have a 1/14 twist,you may not be able to stabilise over 55g,and for 60+g you'd need a 1/12-worth checking.But Rifles can be individual around the margins-nor are all factory barels exactly what they are supposed to be...so it is try and see,as well as the usual point of bullet preference anyhow in perticular rifles.Berger do a whole set of 50+ weight,and it's unusual for at least one Berger not to shoot well.But ditto other,less expensive bullets too.

I'd take any advice that 53g bullet weight gave a significant BC advantage over 50g,that would be evident under field conditions to 300y.60+ and on up will do so for extended ranges(but need fast twist.

What you have should be fine-shoot and see.I may be best not to fiddle too much with powders etc-give the known tried and developed loads a fair testing first-not every rifle will be as good as the best claim to be,but most are pretty good for purpose.Enjoy! :-)

Gbal

Hi,both gaz6br and 6mmBr give good advice.You can check out much of this on Accurate Shooter site (22/250).

If you have a 1/14 twist,you may not be able to stabilise over 55g,and for 60+g you'd need a 1/12-worth checking.But Rifles can be individual around the margins-nor are all factory barels exactly what they are supposed to be...so it is try and see,as well as the usual point of bullet preference anyhow in perticular rifles.Berger do a whole set of 50+ weight,and it's unusual for at least one Berger not to shoot well.But ditto other,less expensive bullets too.

I'd take a pinch of salt with any advice that 53g bullet weight gave a significant BC advantage over 50g,that would be evident under field conditions to 300y.60+ and on up will do so for extended ranges(but need fast twist.

What you have should be fine-shoot and see.I may be best not to fiddle too much with powders etc-give the known tried and developed loads a fair testing first-not every rifle will be as good as the best claim to be,but most are pretty good for purpose.Enjoy! :-)

Gbal

I would also agree that 55 grainers are fine, I have always used 50 and 55s and dont get a discernable difference between either (in group size)

I have used almost always 52gr a max in lots of .22.250s and swifts with 14 twist barrels. With superb results both in the way they group and preform terminally . If you need 52gr a max or 50gr blitz kings let me know.

Cheers Sean

Thanks everyone :)

As I mentioned fate, and my being impatient, resulted in my having the 55grn vmax.

I have some n140, a load of cases from my old factory rounds, some federal primers, and a whole evening to myself :)

All great journies start with a single decap etc...

And several hours later I am getting nowhere fast with finding a start point for load data. How can Hornady keep thier info off the net - are they owned by the NSA or something??

Does anyone have either a max, or starting and max load for 55grn vmax over n140 in 22-250?

I can find a million suggeted loads, and can find all sorts on info on other possibly similar porjectiles over the same powder, but nothin at all concrete on the vmax.

Thanks!

You see, I thought exactly that :)

But then at 55grn you have FMJ and SP with different loads, and neither are necessarly the same as the vmax...

Add in compulsive nature to research things and you get hours of looking for the Hornady pages :)

Would you start with the low emnd of the lower suggested 55grn round?

So 27.9 for the Lap SP?

An old load that worked well in my T3 .22/250 with a 55v-max was 36.5grn n140 and could of gone 1-1.5grn more if I wanted. But local shop stopped getting it in so moved to varget and use the same load.

Obviously start low and work up.

Hope it's of some help.

I'd make some up starting at 30, increasing in .3gr intervals, shoot them to find the max I'd be happy to use, and keep that as max, then do a ladder test to find optimum charge weight.

Or, put a post up asking for somebody to check with quickload

Pete

An old load that worked well in my T3 .22/250 with a 55v-max was 36.5grn n140 and could of gone 1-1.5grn more if I wanted. But local shop stopped getting it in so moved to varget and use the same load.

Obviously start low and work up.

Hope it's of some help.

Thanks!

This is a pretty good example of where I've got myself confused and self questioning - I've found LOADS of people (even including an artical on Shooting Times!) with suggestions up to and around the high 30's, but then comparing that to either of the 55 grain options on the Viht manual/guide via Lapua having 31.5 max load for SP and 33.5 max load for FMJ.

I know people say start 10% down and work up, but for pretty much everything I've found in the unofficial lstings, I'd have to start 20% down to be anywhere near the MAX from the Viht lists. Obviously something isn't right somewhere! :)

Archived