Hi,

I have a Sako TRG which I love, it’s got a standard Harrris Bi-Pod on it and I was thinking of getting the Sako Bi-pod for it but have been put off by the cost which seems excessively expensive. I have also seen that you can get an Atlas Bipod and Sako adapter for a lot less and am thinking about that as an option instead. I would appreciate any views or comments of either of these Bipods, if anyone has experience of either one or preferably both and are in a position to compare or comment I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Jon

is it broke...... if not why try to fix it...had a Harris for ages on my rifle and it does what it needs to.....

It works fine but its marking the underneath of the chassis when it tilts left or right. It would also help if I had a quick release pod on there for when I store it in the safe, its a bit cramped in there.

Thanks for your comments, forgive my ignorance what do you mean pre load?

is it broke...... if not why try to fix it...had a Harris for ages on my rifle and it does what it needs to.....

It works fine but its marking the underneath of the chassis when it tilts left or right. It would also help if I had a quick release pod on there for when I store it in the

I have had both on a TRG.

I shot well both set ups. They require different techniques due to the need to preload the TRG bipod.

The TRG bipod looks Gucci and I would get behind one before investing.

safe, its a bit cramped in there.

By preload i refer to the way in which you hold the rifle. With the Harris the rifle can sit solid under its own weight. The TRG bipod requires slight pressure forward to "load" the legs. There is noticeable wobble on a TRG bipod.

As for marking the stock. The TRG one when folded does a bloody good job too. It can also catch the barrel. I have an atlas spigot and bipod I am yet to test. Might be the best compromise.

Thanks for the response!! i am thinking maybe the atlas is the way forward, is it quick to detach and reattach?

My trg bipod marked all the way to the bare metal on the barrel when folded forward folding it under the stock would cause just as much damage I would think so it wont be fitted in transit till im ready to shoot

My trg bipod marked all the way to the bare metal on the barrel when folded forward folding it under the stock would cause just as much damage I would think so it wont be fitted in transit till im ready to shoot

Thanks for letting me know!!

the TRG bipods are not that durable, several have failed on work rifles ....maybe 3 or 4 out of about 70 rifles I can think of. Also I do not find them that stable. The Atlas which I have is gucci and a pain in the butt to adjust the legs quickly but is compact and well made...also needs preloading. Harris is Harris.....Atlas or Harris.....depends if you like to pre-load or not........if the Harris is rubbing the stock from canting you can add rubber washers to the post that hold the spring hooks to stop that.

Contrary to a lot of opinions I find the TRG bipod great to use. It wobbles about a bit unless you load it, just like the Atlas and Harris (unless a pod-lock is fitted). This is also true of the AW bipod but once these are loaded they become very stable. The TRG bipod will scratch the barrel if it is folded in that direction but it can be folded back over the stock as well. Fitting it is a simple matter of slotting in so there is no hassle to remove it and I do this as a matter of course.

It is silly money but some places sell them for less than others and I could point you at one such place if you want to pm me.

Lets face it, the TRG looks best with the TRG bipod too and if it looks good it's bound to shoot better :D

There is an oring mod you can do to the sako bipod I have read about online to reduce tilt movment

Also to prevent wear I have been thinking about getting some heat shrink tubbing to put on the feet to stop them rubbing against the barrel

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in answering. I haven't been online for some time. The bipod legs and feed dont wobble and don't touch the barrel at all. They only woble you feel is the fore and backward movement at the moment you load the bipod. But iif thighting the bipodclamp with the handle you can take all momement out

At the first foto the bipod is mounted with a Roedale adapter which fits in the space the regular Sako bipod fits in. At the second photo the bipod is mounted on a normal Versapod mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived