CCI BR2 primer equivalent??

pwinnall

Hello,

I'm new to handloading but am having trouble finding my components

I have a AE MkIII in .260 rem

Lapau brass

A Max 140gr bullets

H4350 powder

But no primers. I have been told to buy CCI BR2 large rifle primers but can't find them for love nor money.

I can get some Federal Match primers.

Are these ok?

Thanks for your advice.

Phil

Phil,If you don't know about "Accurate Shooter" site,it's very useful-if US oriented-about what works(best) with a range of cartridges.

Fed (match) large should be fine,as will Fed large.Occasionally a particular cartridge does better with a particular primer-eg because it needs a primer that is a little harder/softer than some are,but this isn't the norm.

Gbal

Same as previous posts but may need to review / reworkup your loads if you change to CCI in future.

I even tried some PPU large rifle primers in my .308 with 150gn bullet, 43.5 gns of H4895 and found no difference in function but found a difference in my wallet !!

I even tried some PPU large rifle primers in my .308 with 150gn bullet, 43.5 gns of H4895 and found no difference in function but found a difference in my wallet !!

I tried to get Rem 7 1/2 primers to replace my CCI BRC 4 (small Rifle) primers, but they were just not around at the time. The next available were what I had been using, CCI BR4. But I would have to pay £65+ (ish) per 1000! This was due to the RFD having to buy from another RFD source within the UK.

I popped over to Norman Clarks and had a chat with a very helpful and knowledgeable man, (Well known on here but I can't recall his name..) Anyhow, I was going to shell out on the BR4's, but ended up buying Federal Premium Gold Medal. I was told that some years ago, the Federal brand was tops when it came to primers, until Federal saw £ signs when a military contract popped up. And as a result, they shafted the civilian buyers. After that "most" reloaders went with Rem 7 1/2's and stuck with them. (When they were easy to come by...) Partly due to having a slightly thicker cup, if my memory serves me right?? True or not, I've found the Federal Match no difference in my .223 compared to CCI BR4.

Just my newbie opinion :)

Jamie

I tried to get Rem 7 1/2 primers to replace my CCI BRC 4 (small Rifle) primers, but they were just not around at the time. The next available were what I had been using, CCI BR4. But I would have to pay £65+ (ish) per 1000! This was due to the RFD having to buy from another RFD source within the UK.

I popped over to Norman Clarks and had a chat with a very helpful and knowledgeable man, (Well known on here but I can't recall his name..) Anyhow, I was going to shell out on the BR4's, but ended up buying Federal Premium Gold Medal. I was told that some years ago, the Federal brand was tops when it came to primers, until Federal saw £ signs when a military contract popped up. And as a result, they shafted the civilian buyers. After that "most" reloaders went with Rem 7 1/2's and stuck with them. (When they were easy to come by...) Partly due to having a slightly thicker cup, if my memory serves me right?? True or not, I've found the Federal Match no difference in my .223 compared to CCI BR4.

Just my newbie opinion (ish) :)

Jamie

Thanks chaps for your advice.

I'll buy the Federal, at least I can finally shoot this rifle.

Thanks again. Phil

Just my newbie opinion (ish) :)

Jamie

Hello Jamie,

I'm getting these primers from Norman Clarks, and they can give me some advice on reloading and the setup.

Phil

Hey Phil , did you get sorted with primers , just looked on Dauntsey guns they have fed210 and cci 200 standard if thats any help not sure on reloading soloutions ? - Nice to see you at the show also mate :)

Hello Tim,

Yes,I have ordered some federal match from Norman Clark's.

But I'm in Norway till Sunday then. Sweden for a week.

I never get chance to use that gun!

Great to see you at the show.

Phil ☺

Archived