Would you use ammo with plated steel jackets?

Christian

Hi,

I've recently gotten a .308 and as I'm getting very lazy, I'm looking to try a few different types of surplus and factory ammo for general sporting practice and perhaps McQueen.

One of the contenders is German MEN, but I note on their website that the projectiles are plated steel jacket.

Would that have a noticeable, negative impact on barrel life?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Atb,

Christain

When I discovered that ( a ) It wasn't accurate and ( b ) steel jacketed I pulled all mine and after first dumping then accurately re-wieghing the powder put 155 smks in. -- magic then put the empties in the scrap bin.

Although I got the answer I was looking for and have no intensions of using ammunition with plated steel projectiles, I couldn't help continuing to dig around for information.

I came across this article, in which the author goes about understanding the effect using plated steel projectiles in a very scientific way. http://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-magazine-article.php?Should-I-Buy-BiMetal-Ammo-8. Although he examines pistol projectiles, I'm happy to apply his findings to rifle projectiles.

Wouldn't use them in a stainless barrel, but have found them OK in chrome-moly barrels. Back in the 80s the NRA sold loads of Norma 7.62 ammo which had steel jacket bullets with a guilding metal coating applied in the sheet rolling mill.

It was very accurate ammo, but wore out stainless barrels much faster than RG. I still have a few hundred bullets left, but I've moly-coated them and only use them in my No.4 which has a hammered Enfield bbl.

Archived