Which is better ?

gunner

I have never owned a Remington or Tikka. I do have a rifle with a Thor action.

If I was building a rifle for a stalker to be used in non-static situations, I would be thinking about how well the safety works in practical terms as much as anything. Any reasonable action with a good barrel can be made to shoot very accurately. I don't much care for the Remmy-type safety (I have it on my Thor, with a Jewell trigger). Not really sure about how the Tikka safety works, and I'm sure someone will tell me.

My favourite action for the field (and I am talking about lone woodland stalking, where, of necessity, one carries the rifle loaded, chambered and on safe) would be something like the Steyr SBS action.

Well reguards to the safety! To unload a tikka once a round is chambered you got to make the rifle dangerous to unload it! Great feature that! Can see why those so called gun makers want those actions! Remington is a simple function and guess what... You can unload with the safety on ;) lol

"not all remmys are accurate'-true,as two Fireball were not accurate

"Remmys are crap" ....well,there are quite a few reported on here that are accurate,and 5 million we haven't heard about....

I can't actually see much performance difference between my Remingtons and Tikkas,though they are generally older ones,and I don't have 5 million.Sakos might be a little better.

I'd not be too disappointed paying £750 for a .5moa factory rifle,whatever make,but might be for a custom costing £3000+

Gbal

I don't trust safety catches on any of them, I'd want a locked firing pin before I even started to give them the benefit of the doubt, something like a cz 452 has a nice rugged safety in comparison. Europeans call de-cockers safety and I tend to agree with them. It's horses for courses but muzzle awareness is king of the day.

doesn't matter to me how many remingtons have been made.i,ve had three and two of them were not up to the job so i,ll never buy a factory Remington again.if your getting .5moa great cant ask for anything more

R (shavers): obviously a company at the cutting edge of design/production.

Mind you ,T (one size fits all) might be considered a miracle of precision engineering too!

Seriously,both makes are well worth consideration in the OP's probable price range,and choice might best be on the basis of what features each offers-for that buyer's application.A hundred options you don't want is of no interest,but not having the one you do is likewise decisive-reject.

Usually there is some compromise in features...and individual rifles can differ a little....and then there is bias...despite having one of the most precise Rugers ever made,I would not rate them generally as so consistent....there might even have been a wonky Sako!

That said,for many purposes,the issue is more "which models can be eliminated" -most will be at least adequate.Confidence in your rifle helps,even if others think it misplaced-view is only worth taking on board if it's based on misplaced bullets...

Bling to taste,or lack of same-can't please everyone,so best please yourself.Pays your money...etc etc

Gbal

i known a person who had sako 85 out the box and he has reloaded for years and has some very very accurate rifles. yet he couldnt get this sako to group better then 3/4 of a inch. its the same with any rifle no matter what make. you always get a couple of bad eggs.

Offroad Gary and Hatzi - couldn't agree more with both comments.

However, when stalking with a loaded rifle, I generally choose to carry it with safety applied. Doesn't mean I sweep everything in sight with it, or presume that because its on safe it won't go off if I diddle with the trigger or fall over or drop it, or whatever else, but;

I still prefer something with a more positive safety than the Remington or Tikka seem to provide. Just to be clear - I have never seen or had any personal experience of either system failing, so my comments are just a hypothetical diversion to an otherwise interesting (but essentially pointless) pissing contest about which action is better.

I'm with the Europeans on de-cockers, I think. I was looking at the nice Krieghoff rifles at the shooting show - I like their safety system very much.

i known a person who had sako 85 out the box and he has reloaded for years and has some very very accurate rifles. yet he couldnt get this sako to group better then 3/4 of a inch. its the same with any rifle no matter what make. you always get a couple of bad eggs.

Agreed,as I hinted (must have been one of these new Sakos-don't make 'em all like they used to!).The hit/miss ratio for acceptable rifles probably does vary between makes,as does the extra accurate/extra sub standard ratio....,so anyone can be lucky or unlucky,though the odds vary between models/makes.

I don't trust safety catches on any of them, I'd want a locked firing pin before I even started to give them the benefit of the doubt, something like a cz 452 has a nice rugged safety in comparison. Europeans call de-cockers safety and I tend to agree with them. It's horses for courses but muzzle awareness is king of the day.

I shoot two CZ's massively understated rifles

This topic has been done to death,,,

Remington actions are good, sound, bases for builds - yes you need oversize lug, aftermarket trigger and to get the best they need blueprinting….

Tikka actions - strong (as any other action) the 590 (690) have smaller ejection ports, the 595 (695) have larger all have easily adjustable and sweet triggers. They need a recoil lug machining for them to get the best out of them that sits in the stock.

Aftermarket stocks are not a prolific as Remingtons

The T3 is a compromise "do all" action and it does do all - many a very accurate rifle has been built on this action. Some aftermarket parts available - lighter triggers springs, metal bolt shroud and extended knobs….

Sako - 75 action is lovely, double stack mags and sweet triggers - they are the preferred choice of donor

In order of preference from an (amateur) "plumbers" perspective

Sako 75

Tikka 590 / 690

Tikka T3

Rem 700

You have all missed the best factory action ever, its the Sako 75. No plastic bits , metal bottom metal , metal dettachable mag and a trigger that can be polished to within a whisker of a Jewell. By the way the older Tikkas are much better than the T3.

Could not have said it better myself! ;)

I had the option of using a Remy 700 or a T3 action when I was getting my new .204 built. I went with the T3 for a number of reasons.

-the tikka was a slicker action

-the T3 had a better trigger and could be improved with a new lightened spring. A Jewell for the Remy would set me back €300.

-I wanted the rifle mag fed. I had no problems with the Tikka system in the past and to make the Remy so was going to cost another €300 and I'd have to make do with a big AI type mag hanging from under the rifle.

So we took the T3 and lightened the trigger with a new spring and a bit of polishing, added a Krieger light varmint barrel and dropped the whole lot in a custom Etac stock. Added a few more details like bolt shroud, oversized knob and flutes and cerakoted the whole lot. Have no regrets at all.

Archived