Fastest .22CF

Whats the fastest .22CF available? Wildcats inc. I shoot a swift at the moment and have had a 22.250 AI But may fancy something else barrel life is not really important. I want the flatest calibre out there. We are shooting an estate where all the dull foxes have been shot and now are left the wild old sods, Shots are now quite often 300 yard or so. While the swift is superb would like something point and shoot out 350 or so if possible. What your thoughts?

cheers Sean

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22-284 Valkyrie.

A friend has one and uses it with devastating results on rabbits. I think his longest was over 900 yards.

Barrelled by Callum , and has a barrel life of around 600 rounds.

Like throwing hand grenades.

i use .22BR in spring/summer with 50vmax point and squirt to 300yds .when it gets to autumn/winter i switch barrels and drop a 6x47 barrel in with 75 vmaxs same deal point and squirt good to 400yds without much thinking.

i like the idea of a 22-284 if barrel life is not an issue, but would go .22x47 and use some good high bc bergers.

22 middlestead is another good wildcat

As well as those already mentioned,there are quite a few more-22CHeetah,224 Clark and so on-all much of a much out to at least 300-which isn't really that far.Once you try to get way beyond that,wind becomes more of an issue,and the larger calibres start to have advantages....6mm,6.5 and so on-often wildcats seriously overbore-try the Banshee!! Price of course is much reduced barrel life.

But such exotica are not really needed for 300 y fox-243 is pretty good-with the newer lighter bullets,it is really the equal at least of say 22-243 Middlestead- a very fine 22 wildcat.Others in that class too with good barrel life and very little fuss to load (22BR etc) if you must have a 22cf.

Gbal

Could you neck a .577 tyrannosaur down to .22?

Would that break light speed?[/quote

More warped than Warp!

You'd be burning around 180g powder per shot,with almost zero chance of the bullet going more than 30 yards downrange before disintegrating.An expensive .410,in effect.Though this will have to remain conjecture,I hope.

The S 50 (standard Singer sewing machine needle,in a 50 Browning case) had a barrel life of less than 2 rounds,and indeterminate velocity,as the screens could not be set far enough apart to get a reading-up to 1/4 mile was tried,bullet was still rising and accelerating.

Gbal

Whats the fastest .22CF available? Wildcats inc. I shoot a swift at the moment and have had a 22.250 AI But may fancy something else barrel life is not really important. I want the flatest calibre out there. We are shooting an estate where all the dull foxes have been shot and now are left the wild old sods, Shots are now quite often 300 yard or so. While the swift is superb would like something point and shoot out 350 or so if possible. What your thoughts?

cheers Sean

Sean I can't imagine you will get much better than your 22-250 AI. :)

Using 53g vmax at sick speeds is going to be excellent for what you are doing.

The aspect that makes more difference to point and shoot potential is your zero range. If you run a load that's 200 fps faster but use the same zero it gives very little back at 300. If you then extend the zero range by say 40 yds the drop at 300 yds is much less.

Ultimately push em as fast as you can and extend that zero out as far as you can until you reach the max hold under you are comfortable with at the peak of the trajectory.

Sean I can't imagine you will get much better than your 22-250 AI. :)

Using 53g vmax at sick speeds is going to be excellent for what you are doing.

The aspect that makes more difference to point and shoot potential is your zero range. If you run a load that's 200 fps faster but use the same zero it gives very little back at 300. If you then extend the zero range by say 40 yds the drop at 300 yds is much less. Very light bullets might look slightly better on paper.

Ultimately push em as fast as you can and extend that zero out as far as you can until you reach the max hold under you are comfortable with at the peak of the trajectory.

The choice of optimal Point Blank Range (define as you wish eg + or - one/two inch above/below aim point) is a very good suggestion-and at sub 400 yards,say, it isn't much affected by squeezing extra velocity to marginal limits in any of the candidate cartridges (if you accept that will reduce barrel life and exceed safe pressures,wear brass etc-and probably not give optimal accuracy-which rather defeats the purpose.Even if you don't,'gains' are very small,more like .1 inch not 1 inch for every 100fps).

22/250 (AI) or 22BR are sensible choices,any real gain beyond these is more in the ballistic projections than the actual practice-better improve wind reading skills by 5%.Of course,if you just like exotica,fine...but the flat trajectoy theory is as dodgy as the flat earth theory,as Professor Coreolis (et al) has suggested.Basically,you have to throw a curve ball-'vertical curling' ,though, can be reduced,but not eliminated.The standard fox allows some margin of error (more than+/- one inch),which makes it feasible.

Gbal

PS even POA didn't suggest an AI version of his big boomer. :-)

Doesn't seem there is anything better than the 220 i am shooting at the moment. Might go back to the 6mm AI pushing 70gr bullets at 4000 fps. Whats the difference trajectory wise compared to a 50gr .22 at 4000 fps and a 70gr 6mm at 4000 fps?

Cheers Sean

P.S SI i can't try 53gr V max i sold all to you :angry:

Doesn't seem there is anything better than the 220 i am shooting at the moment. Might go back to the 6mm AI pushing 70gr bullets at 4000 fps. Whats the difference trajectory wise compared to a 50gr .22 at 4000 fps and a 70gr 6mm at 4000 fps?

Cheers Sean

P.S SI i can't try 53gr V max i sold all to you :angry:

Which 6mm AI 70 @4000?

6-284 70@ 3600 isn't even close 6mmRem 80@3400 seems well off too-would AI versions add 400fps???

Lazerroni 6.17(243) 85g @ 3618 giving 1/2/3/4/500 .8/.6 0/2.7 -4.6 /6.3 13.8/11.7 -28/19.1 drop/drift

22 (swift?)50g@4000 gives .8/1 0/4.6 -5.2/11.3 -16.6/21.8 -37/37

Lazzeroni tells the tale-drop only differs in a useble improvement beyond 400y,drift from 300y (though a 70 g would show even more advantage.

Whether 70g at 4000fps is achievable at safe pressures is a moot point.

Anyhow,as before,point and shoot is quite elusive (v difficult)though a 250 zero might help....to 300y,with near zero wind,but is simply illusive(not possible) at 400y.

Gbal

Thanks for the info gbal. My old 6mm AI would just make 4000fps but was very hard on cases, Which is why i was looking to stick to hot .22s. Looks like the 220 will stay in the cabinet for now.

Regards Sean

lad i got my rpa off. his foxing buddy runs a rpa 6x284 long barrel with 70 grain blizkings and breaks the 4000 fps. with a hot load !

its seen a couple of re barrels in the course of its life. :D

mind he does a hell of a lot of foxing

my regular 22/250 does 4100fps with 50 grainers. My 5/35Smc does 4600 fps but with 32 grainers. The 5/35 has a 320m MPBR and was the flatest thing on the market. You lose out on punch tho with the 20 cal

my regular 22/250 does 4100fps with 50 grainers. My 5/35Smc does 4600 fps but with 32 grainers. The 5/35 has a 320m MPBR and was the flatest thing on the market. You lose out on punch tho with the 20 cal

What load you using in your 22.250? I know what you mean about the 20s i had a BR.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The 22-243 Middlestead would be an option if your wanting something different.

Never owned one, but the performance looks pretty impressive - spitting out a 50 grn bullet at around 4400fps.

Probably wont do anything the 220 swift wont.

Archived