Scope for PCP?

Chris-NZ

After some advice lads.

I'm about to take delivery of a Daystate Air Ranger in .22cal. They're building some houses on the land about 400yds past our paddock boundary and I'm becoming increasingly loathe to use the rimfire on maggies in the trees..

The question arises on scopes. I want about midrange magnification, some sort of BDC reticle for quick holdover and parallax adj. I really don't feel I need to go OTT for an air rifle but the gun justifies something reasonable.

I was thinking of maybe a Vortex HS 4-16 SF with their version of the BDC. It looks reasonably fine and not too cluttered.

Any other suggestions?

thanks

ChrisNZ

I use an mtc mamba on one of my pcp's. The reticle is great for quick accurate holdovers if used correctly.

Not much time when hunting magpies and crows to start dialling in at airrifle ranges ( 10-90/100 yards max)

Mine is a 40ftlb airwolf.

Thanks guys, I'll check them out.

Can't say I've seen Mambas in NZ

6.5-- Mine's same as yours, a 40ft-lb version. Figured I might as well go the whole hog

I run bisley magnum pellets in mine, cant remember the velocity but it equates to 36ftlb instead of 40.

They are a very accurate rifle!!

Cheers for that info.

Have some five tins of H&N Baracudas I made them throw in with it so will also look for some of the Bisleys.

Ever tried JSB Exact Heavies?

What sort of groups might you expect at say 80yds?? I want to nail maggies and rabbits at 100yds round here if poss

Chris,

I tried baracudas but they did not group that well.

At 40 yards the bis magnums are one single hole, it will definatly put a smile on yer face!

80 yards im not sure as its been a long time scince I shot paper at this distance after I got my drops.

100 yards is achievable but it will have ro be a calm day or you will have to be a master of the wind for even a gentle breeze.

Its less forgiving than a 22 rimfire on kill zones, head and neck shots are sort of needed.

What is the most common zero range for these? I have NO idea.

What --roughly- is the traj of those heavies?

Say if you zeroed at 40yds- what would the midrange traj be and the drop at 75-80yds??

What is the most common zero range for these? I have NO idea.

What --roughly- is the traj of those heavies?

Say if you zeroed at 40yds- what would the midrange traj be and the drop at 75-80yds??

Chris,

I will post my drop chart for my airwolf when I get back to the house.

I zero this rifle at 40 yards as it suits my range of shooting, my other less powered daystate is zerod at 25 yards and its great for shooting around the farmyard.

I would zero in around the average range you want to shoot at.

My 22lr's are zero'd at 60 yards.

Thanks a lot for that.

They're certainly not "flat shooting" when you're used to say a 6x47..

What's the supposed BC on those?

Can't say I've run across quoted G1s when looking round, just weights

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris I would try the 18gn jsbs first as these will fly a bit flatter. I'm using 16gn @960fps out of a rapid. Zero at 55yds its 1" high between 25 and 40yds then drops around 3.75" at 75yds. At 100yds the drop is 13.5". For me fac air shines upto 80yds in ideal conditions. Chairgunner quotes a bc of 0.031, through my gun I reckon its closer to 0.026.

Cheers for that.

I'm NOT impressed with the NZ agent- he said "4-6 weeks" delivery when I paid the exorbitant price. It's now def six weeks gone, and last week he told me Daystate were close to getting the export approval. Sounds like typical retailer's BS to me..

If it weren't for the potential warranty /parts back-up, I would have imported one directly but you could get hung out to dry if it crapped itself.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that, I'll give the iPhone version a go.

By co-incidence, I took delivery of it yesterday, a mere ten weeks after paying the full inflated price in advance.. I now have to track down the filling gear so hope the main airgun retailer in Auckland has a turnkey solution. Got a good condition dive tank at a reasonable price but had to lean on the local testing/filling outfit to take it up to 240bar- their policy is nothing over 200bar. Initially said "Can't do it/ it's illegal.." but gave in when I persisted.

I'm going to toss on an old AO scope as a temporary measure but think I'll get a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16 mildot scope when I'm in the US later this year. About 40% cheaper than here

Archived