new mounts ??

Guest varmartin

Ian...I second your Question....what is wrong with them ?

I think they are good mounts, as long as the correct mounting bar is used to turn them in and set them up correctly.

I guess a lot of people including manufactures feel the scope tube is going to be used as a turning devise, and for good reason !

I would also like to read other peoples views on them too.

Martin, I believe you quoted from the NF user manual about turn in mount systems although it isnt clear if you use them or not?

Personally, I prefer a one piece base that I bed to the action (before I make the decision to bed I sit the rail on top and tighten the leading (forward) mounting screw - if there is any gap when I try and insert a feeler guage on either side or at the back, I will use a small amount of bedding material to fill this void so there is 100% contact bettween action and rail - with no twist or bend when the rail is torqued to 15 inch pounds.

Now I prefer to use this method as it guarantee's (almost) a stable and twist free platform for the rings and concequently the scope.

I have used this method on all my rifles bar one - the scope on that rifle has ring marks.

I m not saying you cannot remove some of the misalignment with standard two piece bases and a lapping bar on the rings, but I personally havent found the need to use a lapping bar on any of my ringsets using the one piece base and bed method.

I am also unaware of where I can get decent quality lapping bars easilly over here to good tolerances especially in the larger 34mm size.

I know there is a lapping kit available stateside but they are size specific and upwards of $260 per bar...... ;)

I could make one of course, but I am not sure if I have the ability to turn to +/- .0005" over 6 - 10 inches with my lathe, no problem for 2 - 3 inches mind ;)

Guest varmartin

Hi Ronin...

Your right I did Quote from the NF users manual.

I do use turn in mounts on my 6br Rem 700 with a leupold scope . I also bedded them to the action to stop any future movement under recoil.

I was going to fit the NXS to this rifle until I read the users manual which put me off a bit !!!

I have not experienced any problems with this set up yet but decided to search for an alternative system when I install my Nightforce scope.

I am as yet undecided as to which rout to take. I may get some more high turn in style mounts if they will not damage the scopes tube or miss align it.

I am also unaware of where I can get decent quality lapping bars easilly over here to good tolerances especially in the larger 34mm size.

I know there is a lapping kit available stateside but they are size specific and upwards of $260 per bar...... :unsure:

I could make one of course, but I am not sure if I have the ability to turn to +/- .0005" over 6 - 10 inches with my lathe, no problem for 2 - 3 inches mind ;)

Hi Ronin

I found this, dont know if you fancy going dutch, i'll only need to use it once <_<<_< On some Badger Ord. rings http://www.kokopelliproducts.com Unless anyone else on here has one they want to hire out :D:D

Cheers Steve

Steve

these are the very kits I was referring to although I was a bit liberal with the prices.

If I was going to invest in something like that I would be looking at getting 30mm and 34mm accurizing kits, if you are interested in dutch on your size bar?

Steve

these are the very kits I was referring to although I was a bit liberal with the prices.

If I was going to invest in something like that I would be looking at getting 30mm and 34mm accurizing kits, if you are interested in dutch on your size bar?

Hi Ronin

PM sent dude

Cheers Steve

I bought a pair of these Millet Angle Lock rings as i had never used windage adjustable rings before.

The quality seems ok but setting them up is a nightmare so i've taken them off for fear of wrecking the scope. I dont have a lapping bar to do the job right and as i wanted rings that would retain zero for when i changed scopes, these were a bad buy.

angleloc1a.jpg

I think i may give these NEAR.MFG rings a try instead.

products08a.jpg

I have a rail from them and the quality is second to none. For the time being i'm using Burris Zee rings and the fact that the scope sits in plastic inserts like Optilocks is a good thing methinks...

Archived