Sightron scopes

mo3

Excellent given their cost but not up to S& B clarity....also the parallax wheel very stiff.....minor but can't see why it should be so.

In short, yes they are, they are most comparable to the likes of Nightforce, but at less then half the cost but with equally as good quality and glass.

Am using one on my 7mm shehane it seems to be as good as most out there and a fair price as well.

It will never be on the level of a march but find it as good as my s/b. burris. zeiss, etc

V

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I've got two one on my 308 and one on my 204 the parallax was stif so sent it back a good year after buying it and had it returned fixed dead on time I own a lupe mk4 and S&b PM II 5-25x56 they both cost a Lott more and ill buy Sightron from now on I've shot the 308 out to 1100yards and its great the 204 on rabbits out to 416yards and its rec is fine unoth not to cover the rabbit my mate Swasky ain't as good and now his just bought some very expensive binoculars and there not as good as my cheap £77 Sightron ones!!

Hi I've got two one on my 308 and one on my 204 the parallax was stif so sent it back a good year after buying it and had it returned fixed dead on time I own a lupe mk4 and S&b PM II 5-25x56 they both cost a Lott more and ill buy Sightron from now on I've shot the 308 out to 1100yards and its great the 204 on rabbits out to 416yards and its rec is fine unoth not to cover the rabbit my mate Swasky ain't as good and now his just bought some very expensive binoculars and there not as good as my cheap £77 Sightron ones!!

+one

Says it all

v

I'm really interested in the new S-TAC 2.5-17.5X56 IRMOA with MOA-3 IR ret as a cross over tactical/stalking scope. Unfortunately due to the weather I cannot attend the show, but would really appreciate peoples feedback on this scope if you see it up there or even better own one!

Many Thanks,

Tiff

I'm really interested in the new S-TAC 2.5-17.5X56 IRMOA with MOA-3 IR ret as a cross over tactical/stalking scope. Unfortunately due to the weather I cannot attend the show, but would really appreciate peoples feedback on this scope if you see it up there or even better own one!

Many Thanks,

Tiff

I had a quick look at these yesterday and they seem very good for the price point. I'm a big fan of Sightron and would very much like to try one of these myself and was tempted by the show price...

I'm no expert, but I had a play with the new Sightron S111SS 6-24x50 LRFFP/MOA. ridiculous amount of letters after it, but hay ho....

However, it was very nice. Nice and clear, and I loved the fine ret! The px wasn't stiff on the one I had....

10% off if you bought from the show, but I'd bet you could get the price down to near the 10% off price if there are numerous stockist, and you shopped around.

I was very impressed with what he stated was a no quibble lifetime guarantee, regardless of how many owners!!

I also had a quick look at the Vortex scopes. Very nice to, and it would be interesting to know what one was the best all-rounder, "like for like" . Anyone out there tried both and have anything to report??

I forgot to ask Vortex if their scopes had the same guarantee?

atb

Jamie

I just wish Vortex would venture into the target market with a more powerful version. They probably will - eventually - as did S & B.

Meanwhile, Sightron continue to offer excellent value for money but I'm not talented enough to say if the are as good or better optically than other top-end scopes but, for 1000 yard F Class and benchrest my 8-32 is more than adequate and its reasonable weight is good for a comp. gun.

If I can see the circles on the target nice and clear, that's plenty good enough for me.

Jamie,there is a good review of the Sightron S111 and Vortex Viper PST,both 6-24x50,in (googled)

Shooting Review-affordable tactical scopes. (both were around $900,and a US optics (3x price) was also included for comparison....essentially,only very minor diffs-personal preference-between the S and V,and both "adequate" at least-as Vince says...you pay an awful lot more for 'more than adequate'-whatever that means! I realise these are not the current or only models,but there it is-very similar,"like for like".

Gbal

PS-all the letters after the latest mentioned Sightron are informative-long range,first focal plane,mil dot- you don't need to say them every time-seems a good idea to me,at least on the tin.(like 6-24x50 etc!)

Jamie,there is a good review of the Sightron S111 and Vortex Viper PST,both 6-24x50,in (googled)

Shooting Review-affordable tactical scopes. (both were around $900,and a US optics (3x price) was also included for comparison....essentially,only very minor diffs-personal preference-between the S and V,and both "adequate" at least-as Vince says...you pay an awful lot more for 'more than adequate'-whatever that means! I realise these are not the current or only models,but there it is-very similar,"like for like".

Gbal

PS-all the letters after the latest mentioned Sightron are informative-long range,first focal plane,mil dot- you don't need to say them every time-seems a good idea to me,at least on the tin.(like 6-24x50 etc!)

Thanks for the replies folks, and apologies for the hijack mo3.

Gbal, that's just the comparison I was looking for! So thank-you :)

atb

Jamie

I recently did compare my 8-32x56 S111 and a mates NF 8-32x56.

We both came to the exact same results.

The NF is better than the sightron. It has a slightly wider field of view, Better contrast, better optics in general.

However, For target shooting in normal conditions the NF isn't worth the extra money over the Sightron! The NF simply isn't worth the extra £800odd.

That being said I have just bought 2 new NF 8-32x56 scopes... mainly because when shooting out to 1200yards in dim condition like its been for the past couple of month the NF is worth the extra to me. I will keep my Sightron on one of my other guns as it really is a good scope for the money.

What does 'more than adequate' mean? Good question. How do we evaluate the quality of lenses? Look at the responses on this thread - 'nice and clear' 'not up to S & B quality' 'as good as most' 'my mate's Swasky ain't as good' 'very nice indeed'.

What do any of these opinions mean in terms of optical quality? Very little - to someone about to spend £800 on a scope!

In the past, when I started writing for shooting magazines, I tried to devise a meaningful test for scope lenses that shooters could equate to. It's possible to buy lens test charts - they are OK but not at extreme ranges though they will show up abysmal optics at short range. But if I tell you it will resolve 50 lines per inch - does that mean anything? But, clarity is not everything. I learned early on that 'bigger' doesn't necessarily mean 'clearer' but, if you can't see it, you can't hit it!

Several other factors come into play - contrast can give the impression of a clearer image and, some lenses are not sharp 'edge to edge' - but does this matter? Not for a target shooter - we are only interested in the centre image.

Then there's light TRANSMISSION - as opposed to that over-used phrase - 'light gathering' - though again this is not so important for target shooters - we shoot in daylight on high contrast targets.

And let's not forget the dreaded chromatic aberation or 'fringing' - this can be present on very expensive glass but, if it does not degrade the image, is it a problem?

The other day, I was shooting at 900 yds in an F Class comp. I was using my 8-32 Nightforce BR. My shooting partner was a novice and was struggling to find the target when setting-up. He was using one of Brian Fox's cheap n cheerful Chinese jobbies. Roll over says I and I'll set you up. I did. I then got back behind the Nightforce. I suddenly realised - I hadn't been struck by a lesser image through his Chinese rubbish! After the shoot, I had another look - so did a few others - Chinese glass is getting better..........

Search under Richard Utting or Sharpshooter UK on you tube should come up with his channel. Nice bloke. Fair reviews, he is also very excitable when it comes to the STAC lol.

And vortex I my port of call from now on. Very good for money. They are bringing out some larger zoom ranges next year im led to believe. Warranty is Lifetime on the product, thats how much they believe In their products. You run over it with your car etc....brand new like for like. Im buying the new Razor HD gen 2 undecided on mag version atm.

CZV

HI all how do they compare with the likes of nf etc thank you Chris

paddy sent me one to play with the 6-24x 56 S3 tac if I remember right nice well made scope...glass was not as good as the weaver tac or the classic extreme I have......these are both jap made

The s3 glass is made in Japan as well, the stac glass is made in the Philippines. Just brought a stac 2.5-17x56 scope and I am VERY IMPRESSED with it, good glass, good movement on the turrets, good build quality EXCELLENT value for money.

Paul

Great scope for the money got 2 and a nf nightforce on my comp guns turret clicks are a little weak and parallax wheel is either on or off nightforce has better glass but marginally but for a lot less money I would take another sightron no probs

Archived