IT Help needed

1967spud

im thinking of putting my website on a deicated server

are there any members on here who have any impartial or advice they can shed on this daunting process or better still suggested hosting

Yes. Don't pick the cheapest!

I don't know if you've got a budget in mind, but to give you an idea, I spend about £135 ex-VAT a month for my server which hosts 2 or 3 active sites and a few other holding pages and dormant ones.

I've been through the nightmares of going with providers and all the problems it brings when something goes wrong.

If your business relies on your website being up, you need to use a good reliable hosting company which offers you the option of someone on the other end of a phone (or very fast email response) to help sort out any issues.

Hope that helps!

thats where i get stuck i think davey

that im going to go either a physical dedicated server

any help would be appreciated as i am out of my depth here

defintly not a vps

I have contact who hosts my wife's beauty site.

http://ryangittings.co.uk

Great lad, very honest, and very quick to respond to ALL issues.

I can put you in touch if you like.

Carl.

yes pelase carl

Based on cost alone I would avoid physically hosting yourself as it is not just a matter of buying a couple of servers and a firewall, you will be looking after infrastructure, backups, security, updates and so on, regardless of how IT switched on you are for a single or even 2-3 sites it is really not worth the hassle. Next stage is hosting yourself but in a data center, that is not without it's issues. I would suggest going for using a third party hosted dedicated server somewhere in the UK that offers 24/7 support and as close to a 100% SLA as you can find.

This means security and upgrades are not your problem, nor is backups, power management and fail over and all the other things you need to consider. You can get some good packages for around the GBP150/month mark. You can pay a lot less but it gets you poor service and up-time.

thanks dave thats more otr less what i was looking to spend

From a security point of view if you host it yourself you need to know what you are doing with regards firewalls etc

I have used this company form many many years for a number of websites of mine and have found them to be very good, good uptime, very good support and pricing is good

www.ehosting.com

securoty wise im sorted ill stay with site lock

thabnks for that link ill take a butchers

I would certainly suggest asking as many people as possible in a similar arena for positive references.

All of our web and eCommerce sites are hosted by Eukhost and the Viking hosts her forum on them as well. We have used them for 3 years now without any issues. She deals with all of the upkeep and technical liaison stuff and will get an instant response on chat when needed and she tells me the Techs are spot on. It is also handy to know they will deal promptly with issues, throttle back connections and kill IP blocks if necessary when you are in the middle of dDOS attack which we have seen in the past.

They are UK hosted as well.

I'm just about the graduate (if i pass these exams ha) from leeds uni doing computer science, if i can be of any help. Ran various dedicated servers, on lots of different platforms.

Just putting it out there though.. i wouldn't discard using vps systems though.. Amazon web services host some of the worlds largest websites.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions / give you a hand with setup

I'm just about the graduate (if i pass these exams ha) from leeds uni doing computer science, if i can be of any help. Ran various dedicated servers, on lots of different platforms.

Just putting it out there though.. i wouldn't discard using vps systems though.. Amazon web services host some of the worlds largest websites.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions / give you a hand with setup

Just about to finish the same course in Bournemouth Uni through the military. Put Mark in touch with a friend who hosts my wife's site.

Archived