Gun Cabinet advice

Avian

I'm looking for a cabinet to store rifles with scopes and am looking at the Brattonsound units.

I live in Powys and on the Dyfed-Powys Police web site they have a document:

Guidance For Security of Firearms / Shotguns

http://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/sites/default/files/documents/what_we_do/firearms_licensing/securityguidance-en_0.pdf

In this it says

c) When intended for rifles or shotguns, the cabinets should be fitted with two 5
lever mortice or two high security close shackle padlocks with hardened staples
conforming to BS3621, either means having differing keys.
I take this to mean that the cabinet needs to have two locks with two different keys. The model I am looking at just has one key looking at teh image of it online.
As this document is guidance do I have to have a cabinet with two locks, and if not will it be a hassle when I have an inspection when I apply for my FAC?

If it's like my Brattonsound then it's a double throw lock which is essentially two separate locks but with one two sided key for convenience.

Lincolnshire police guidelines recommend the same two locks thing. Mine was approved without question. My FLO even commented that, "I'd bought a good one".

I'm looking for a cabinet to store rifles with scopes and am looking at the Brattonsound units.

I live in Powys and on the Dyfed-Powys Police web site they have a document:

Guidance For Security of Firearms / Shotguns

http://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/sites/default/files/documents/what_we_do/firearms_licensing/securityguidance-en_0.pdf

In this it says

c) When intended for rifles or shotguns, the cabinets should be fitted with two 5

lever mortice or two high security close shackle padlocks with hardened staples

conforming to BS3621, either means having differing keys.

I take this to mean that the cabinet needs to have two locks with two different keys. The model I am looking at just has one key looking at teh image of it online.

As this document is guidance do I have to have a cabinet with two locks, and if not will it be a hassle when I have an inspection when I apply for my FAC?

The only opinion that really matters at this stage is your FIrearms Licencing Dept,so just ask them-have the Brattonsound details to hand (they do shotgun ones too)...you can't really be sure from a photo....if FL say its ok,fine-if not,best best to find out before you buy anything-guidlines,yes...but FL have discretion depending on all the relevant security details,and they do have to inspect your security,so sooner clarified the better.Brattonsound are major manufacturers-unlikey that a model sold as FAC compliant will not be-shotgun may be different.Ask...FL are not out to be awkward,and good security is in your interests too,of course..

Gbal

Just FYI, this is mine

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/4-5-rifle-vault-premier.html

It even states Police and MOD approved.

Yes that is the

The only opinion that really matters at this stage is your FIrearms Licencing Dept,so just ask them-have the Brattonsound details to hand (they do shotgun ones too)...you can't really be sure from a photo....if FL say its ok,fine-if not,best best to find out before you buy anything-guidlines,yes...but FL have discretion depending on all the relevant security details,and they do have to inspect your security,so sooner clarified the better.Brattonsound are major manufacturers-unlikey that a model sold as FAC compliant will not be-shotgun may be different.Ask...FL are not out to be awkward,and good security is in your interests too,of course..

Gbal

Thanks that sounds like a very good idea.

same one I am looking at

Just FYI, this is mine

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/4-5-rifle-vault-premier.html

It even states Police and MOD approved.

Yes that is the same one I am looking at

Gbal

Thanks that sounds like a very good idea.

I use the Brattonsound Sentinel Plus RL7 which has extra depth so it can accommodate the rifle and scope. Storing with the scope on increases the width of the rifle and reduces the store capacity.

+1 on this- especially if you have heavy/big rifles wwith big scopes...get extra deep, and a couple of more spaces than you minimally need-it makes getting them out so much easier and bump free...

Gbal

Hello

Pretty please get a good one that's more than big enough for now then add a couple of extra guns

The nine gun extra large is the one I ended up with

Now I have two

Brattonsound seems to be the way forward

Alan xxx

Hello

Pretty please get a good one that's more than big enough for now then add a couple of extra guns

The nine gun extra large is the one I ended up with

Now I have two

Brattonsound seems to be the way forward

Alan xxx

Thanks for the advice Alan.

I'm looking at the Sentinel Plus RL7 model. I intend to have three rifles, for my son and I, maybe later we get one more but I don't see having more than 4 so this should suit well

there is no legal obligation to any specification for firearm storage just that its contents is not accessable by anyone but the license holder

any comercial gun safe should be accepted should it have 1 lock, 2 locks or a keypad

Ian

there is no legal obligation to any specification for firearm storage just that its contents is not accessable by anyone but the license holder

any comercial gun safe should be accepted should it have 1 lock, 2 locks or a keypad

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I realise that, I just don't want to get into a situation at my inspection of having to debate about things with the inspecting officer.

As with a lot of the documents produced by the police and government ministries the Dyfed and Powys document is GUIDANCE, and they try to make out that that is what is needed by law, or at least make it look that way.

I'm going to send them details of teh model I want to get and then get it in writing with them that the specification for that is OK with them before buying it. I think that is teh best way to save any hassle.

There have been many problems in the past caused by Forces making up their own 'rules' . It's best for everyone in the long run to challenge spurious practices. If you are a BASC member, they will always back you up.

Yes I can imagine. What I do not understand is why on earth there is not a centralise body within the police for this as that way it would at least be consistent over the country.

I was going to join BASC next week as I think they do a good job from what I have read about them and would be helpful in this sort of situation.

Yes I can imagine. What I do not understand is why on earth there is not a centralise body within the police for this as that way it would at least be consistent over the country.

I was going to join BASC next week as I think they do a good job from what I have read about them and would be helpful in this sort of situation.

BASC is a good back up-and advice source-and has lobbied for progress,as Shuggy says.Send in your proposed cabinet details,and there will probably be no problem at all-some shooters ,even on here,forget that not all applicants are as sensible,or indeed civil,as they might be.Discretion too,works both ways-often in the individual applicant's favour.

BASC is a good back up-and advice source-and has lobbied for progress,as Shuggy says.Send in your proposed cabinet details,and there will probably be no problem at all-some shooters ,even on here,forget that not all applicants are as sensible,or indeed civil,as they might be.Discretion too,works both ways-often in the individual applicant's favour.

I don't anticipate there being a problem with the cabinet in question and have emailed the force with the details and asked them if they can clarify if it would be Ok before I go ahead and purchase it.

Archived