glue in an action to a benchrest stock

jonathan.308

Hi all.

Does anybody know what type of adhesive you use when you glue in an action to a benchrest stock. Can't remember who, but somebody told me that there was one where you could get it back out if you needed by putting an iron on the action to heat up the action and take it back out. but I cannot remember the name of it and where can you can get it from, any help will be very grateful.

Thank you Jonathan.

You don't want the action falling out when under mechanical stress when shooting for example. You want the connection to be as stiff as possible, you might also like to have a good heat transfer through the glue into the action.

My take: use a resin that can be loaded quite high with aluminium powder but has low temp spec in the data sheet. Say a air curing laminating resin that might have a temp stability of 60 deg C max. You might have a chance of getting the action out again when heating with a small blow torch or paint stripper hot air gun.

You might loose the stock if it doesn't work.

edi

Hi all.

Does anybody know what type of adhesive you use when you glue in an action to a benchrest stock. Can't remember who, but somebody told me that there was one where you could get it back out if you needed by putting an iron on the action to heat up the action and take it back out. but I cannot remember the name of it and where can you can get it from, any help will be very grateful.

Thank you Jonathan.

Jonathan,

I like to do what I call a 'semi-glue in' Bed the action in the normal way with Devcon, Marinetex, Loctite or what have you. Flip it out then glue it back in with a smear of Araldite. When you want to remove it (though you shouldn't really need to unless changing stocks) just heat the action by standing a domestic iron on the scope rail. It will soon soften the Araldite but leave the main bedding untouched.

Hi Vince

Araldite sounds good, do no the pater number on the tub or tube ? as just google it and Plenty of places sell it but there are a lot of different types of Araldite Adhesive, Four example Araldite-2015, Araldite-2022 and so no. And don't want to make a mistake and get the wrong one.

Cheers Vince Jonathan.

Hi Vince

Araldite sounds good, do no the pater number on the tub or tube ? as just google it and Plenty of places sell it but there are a lot of different types of Araldite Adhesive, Four example Araldite-2015, Araldite-2022 and so no. And don't want to make a mistake and get the wrong one.

Cheers Vince Jonathan.

Jonathan, just ordinary Araldite - you can buy it at Halfords etc. Use the slow set one in the blue tubes - the red is quick set.

Archived