An unexpected shoot.

achosenman

I got a phone call yesterday from a chicken farmer. I didn't know him from Adam, but he was given my number by a friend of a friend.

He was a local business and said he had a fox problem. He was getting hit late evening into the dark hours. A local shooter had tried along with a gamekeeper.

Since I was available that afternoon I went for a visit and talked to the owner and walked the boundaries. It's a 45 acre site with restricted arcs of fire due houses roads etc. I printed out a Google Earth image of the site and found a spot that gave me an elevated view over 90% of the area and good arcs of fire from the roof of the truck. Incidentally the police had viewed the site and told him it was safe to shoot from the chicken house area. IMO that was the least safe, and the rising ground did not mitigate the houses and roads in the immediate background...go figure.

Anyway I sat up at 1600 and within two minutes of getting on site saw a fox in the long grass alongside the chicken house. Unfortunately this is not his land so even if the houses in the background had not been there, it was a no shoot. I watched it stalking his chickens and decided that that if it looked like it was going to strike, I would fire a shot into a safe backstop to scare it. After about 20 minutes I tried the fox call, the effect was immediate and dramatic. The fox turned and fled the scene flat out without stopping...so much for that plan. A few minutes later I saw her mate as he made his way along the boundary fence in the long grass towards where she had fled across the farm, I ignored the caller and waited. He obliged and presented himself face on head down showing the top of his shoulders at 178m, job done scratch one fox. The owner was very pleased and thought he had one more fox to go. I saw nothing else until it got dark, then they started to come. They didn't stop, I did. I had to pack up after two hours due prior commitments'.

20131119_2028361_zpsb1ad383e.jpg

The owner was very pleased not to mention astounded. He expected to pay me but I thought slowly slowly catchy monkey, so I declined.

This morning I got a phone call and was asked if I would do him a favour and visit his other sites and can I shoot the rats?...is pope catholic, do bears sh@t in the woods?

Happy days.

ATB

I'm going back this Friday.

The call that spooked the vixen was a very early Mini Colibri.

I've noticed that over the last few year or so that it either brings them running or sends them packing. I've decided to try another caller, but looking at the prices I'm hesitant to just shell out for something that not up the task. Most seem attuned to the US market.

Any suggestion's?

ATB

well done-how do you know it was a vixen you spooked?

Tbh I'm only guessing it was a vixen from her manner and size etc. She seemed more alert and aware of her surroundings. Watching her in the long grass you could see her thinking about the problem of how to get at the chickens. I've found dogs seem to have a one track mind and are easily outwitted. In my experience if I come across a difficult fox, it inevitably turns out to be a vixen.

Whats your set up rifle, scope, lamp or NV?

I use a 223 built on a Stiller Tac 30 action smithed by Neil McKillop.

I spot with a thermal HD38 and use an A grade Archer Gen3 on the back of a 6-24 Zeiss to finish the job.

ATB

Simon. How is the Superformance ?

David

Hi David it's without doubt the best factory load for my rifle I have tried. I thought that if it didn't work at least I would have some fire formed cases. I needn't have worried. During testing it gives .5MOA which will do for Charlie easily. It won't beat a hand load but that's not to be expected. The longest shots taken the other night were 288m and 249m on both vixens. Everything dropped DRT.

Thanks for the great deal.

ATB

PS thanks a lot mate for showing me your HW100. Having seen that I had to have one...you cost me many beer tokens. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived