Stock finish recommendations?

Chris-NZ

Hi guys-

a little question about what product to use for repainting what is basically an F-Class stock.

I've just put together a 6x47L and the stock the action came with is in a "beautiful" orange tiger stripe :unsure: It will see occasional bunny bashing as well as some F-Class use

I was initially thinking of getting it redone in an automotive two-pot but am worried it'll end up having bits knocked off it easily. Duracoat would seem reasonable but I don't want it in any sort of mil/tactical colour. Something along the lines of a royal blue has more appeal but I'm open to offers.. Another issue is the so-called colour samples on the Duracoat site are useless in deciding. The NZ agent doesn't have the proper colour swatches and I'm just not prepared to order one in the hope it matches my perception of the finished colour.

What do you all think?

thanks

Chris-NZ

Go with the automotive 2 pack Chris.

Paint is paint. Duracoat and Ceracoat are simply paints with different additives. You will find the colour you want far easier at your automotive suppliers. They will all have the same wear value on a stock.

Chris you can always put a nice layer of good clear varnish over the top.

The Swiss matt varnish I use at the moment is ultra hard wearing and as flat as tac duracoat.

edi

Are you putting this on top of duracoat Edi?

Do you have a link?

Mr Google Translate always helps out there Edi. My highschool Hochdeutsch is worse than useless on tech stuff. Looks a good product.

Thinking about it, you are probably right Dave. I can baby it a wee bit and it's def not going to get the treatment my hunting rifles sometimes can't avoid. Having said that, your two stocks Edi seem to be standing up to the field conditions. The first one only has a few scratches, mainly where the cleaning rod clips the cheekpiece.

One of my Clubmates has a buddy who does high grade spraying for basically a few beers. Sounds like I need to slip some liquid his way.

Chris our normal stocks are not clear varnished, only the cammo jobs as one has much thinner layers of each colour.

I think the worst is when hunting the hills and rubbing the rifle off some rocks, no paint withstands that. At least a duracoated product

can be duracoated again fairly simply.

edi

Archived