remy recrown

hi guys i got a vssf mark 2 remy 22.250 a few month back,it shoots 50 grain soft points half inch or under at 100 yards but noslers or v.max well over a inch,ive got it for fox so want to use the balistic tips but i am not happy with its accuracy,ive been told to recrown it as the standard remy crown is just standard,what are your views or has any body else had the same problem,ps ive used the soft points on fox and they do work but wasn't happy as they were going straight through them and not realy expanding,cheers simon.....

If its holding half an inch with a particular type, there is nothing wrong with the crown. You simply need to find a bullet it likes. a lot of Remmys dont like 55 grain bullets. Stick to 50,s or even 40,s. It will have a 1 in 14" twist so will shoot the lightweights.

hi guys i got a vssf mark 2 remy 22.250 a few month back,it shoots 50 grain soft points half inch or under at 100 yards but noslers or v.max well over a inch,ive got it for fox so want to use the balistic tips but i am not happy with its accuracy,ive been told to recrown it as the standard remy crown is just standard,what are your views or has any body else had the same problem,ps ive used the soft points on fox and they do work but wasn't happy as they were going straight through them and not realy expanding,cheers simon.....

Back in the day,pre polypropylene,soft points took a lot of foxes-some may expand better than others on UK foxes,though-worth trying a few,as the right soft point is very effective-it's more that younger shooter don't try them so much.Crown seems ok-if it shoots something well. Norma were popular,but scarce now.

Gbal

ye cheers guys,i have been on a few sites that folk say there remys don't shoot balistic tip bullets,as said the soft points shoot awsum in it,in fact ive had four 22.250,s and never have i had one that can constantly shoot under half inch with H380 and a cheap soft point,thanks for the advise,just a silly question realy if it got recrown'd with a target crown as ive been told is there a chance then the balistic tips could work,also if i sent the soft points faster could they explode easier, i say all this as i have shot a lot of foxes with the soft points and even though i am picking them some times they can run 30 yard from where they are shot and if its in rushes can be hard work,also the shots are placed good enough to stop them in there tracks realy,cheers simon

ye cheers guys,i have been on a few sites that folk say there remys don't shoot balistic tip bullets,as said the soft points shoot awsum in it,in fact ive had four 22.250,s and never have i had one that can constantly shoot under half inch with H380 and a cheap soft point,thanks for the advise,just a silly question realy if it got recrown'd with a target crown as ive been told is there a chance then the balistic tips could work,also if i sent the soft points faster could they explode easier, i say all this as i have shot a lot of foxes with the soft points and even though i am picking them some times they can run 30 yard from where they are shot and if its in rushes can be hard work,also the shots are placed good enough to stop them in there tracks realy,cheers simon

the only soft points i shot in mine where the sako game head factory ammo before i started reloading. they didnt shoot as well at the factory 50 grain bt ammo but did really make a mess all the same. try some blizkings simon you will be happy with them

the only soft points i shot in mine where the sako game head factory ammo before i started reloading. they didnt shoot as well at the factory 50 grain bt ammo but did really make a mess all the same. try some blizkings simon you will be happy with them

i zeroed with 50 grain blitzkings the other week and shot a fox at around 100 yard,the impact and result was bang on pal to be honest,but when i checked the zero a few week later one night no matter how hard i tried i could'nt get to me a decent group at 100 yard with them to be confident on say a 250 yard fox,so this put me off them,probably what doesn't help is i have shot 6ppc at fox for the last 15 years and may be i have been spoilt with how they shoot as on paper when i do a quick check it usualy is a nice little clover leaf,but when you go out that night at least you are very confident,thanks pal any way may be its just me wanting target accuracy for just a fox atb simon....

i zeroed with 50 grain blitzkings the other week and shot a fox at around 100 yard,the impact and result was bang on pal to be honest,but when i checked the zero a few week later one night no matter how hard i tried i could'nt get to me a decent group at 100 yard with them to be confident on say a 250 yard fox,so this put me off them,probably what doesn't help is i have shot 6ppc at fox for the last 15 years and may be i have been spoilt with how they shoot as on paper when i do a quick check it usualy is a nice little clover leaf,but when you go out that night at least you are very confident,thanks pal any way may be its just me wanting target accuracy for just a fox atb simon....

mates just sold his 22/250 remington and he use to have a cracking 52 amax load for his

ye i cant get hold of the 52 amax yet,i have herd the 700,s like that load pal,also its the SXSP that i use at the moment,being truth full ive had around 25 foxes with that bullet and only 4 or 5 look they have been hit with a 22.250 the others mainly have just gone through them,ime not some bloke on a blow up fox crusade just want expansion fox humane reasons and ricochets thats all for the safe factor,the ppc,s i use just pop on impact with noslers and v.max,when shooting at night its good to know,cheers simon.....

ye cheers guys,do you think if you change a powder, can it make a barrel that does't like a bullet may be shoot it better,

There are three main variables here-barrel,bullet and powder load. To say that a barrel does not like a bullet,you would really need to shoot that bull let in that barrel with a variety of powder weights (around the usual good load weight),and then do the same with a few different powders.If you didn't get any acceptable groups,then that barrel doesn't like that bullet.(really you would have to vary seating depth too,a fourth variable,perhaps less important.)

It's commonplace to find a different powder can much improve how a barrel shoots a particular bullet,and likewise how a different bullet shoots fine without changing the original powder in that barrel.It's really how all three variables combine that determines groups (+ depth).All this assumes that the bullets and powders and loads are generally suitable ones-otherwise the barrel will be worn out on hopeless 'load development'-generally a bit overdone anyhow.

So yes,changing powder ( or bullet) can produce better groups,but there is no guarantee-if nothing works,it's a bad barrel.

Gbal

There are three main variables here-barrel,bullet and powder load. To say that a barrel does not like a bullet,you would really need to shoot that bull let in that barrel with a variety of powder weights (around the usual good load weight),and then do the same with a few different powders.If you didn't get any acceptable groups,then that barrel doesn't like that bullet.(really you would have to vary seating depth too,a fourth variable,perhaps less important.)

It's commonplace to find a different powder can much improve how a barrel shoots a particular bullet,and likewise how a different bullet shoots fine without changing the original powder in that barrel.It's really how all three variables combine that determines groups (+ depth).All this assumes that the bullets and powders and loads are generally suitable ones-otherwise the barrel will be worn out on hopeless 'load development'-generally a bit overdone anyhow.

So yes,changing powder ( or bullet) can produce better groups,but there is no guarantee-if nothing works,it's a bad barrel.

Gbal

ye cheers pal,but i do half believe if a barrel is suited to a certain bullet no matter what powder you use with in reason that is, that bullet will always shoot good,may be not absolutely spot on but good,i think once you find a bullet that shoots in your gun super the powder just sends it,i could be wrong though just what i have experienced over the years,cheers simon...

ye cheers pal,but i do half believe if a barrel is suited to a certain bullet no matter what powder you use with in reason that is, that bullet will always shoot good,may be not absolutely spot on but good,i think once you find a bullet that shoots in your gun super the powder just sends it,i could be wrong though just what i have experienced over the years,cheers simon...

Simon,as a 6ppc man,check out what bench rest shooters chose-it's not any powder,it's a quite small selection-eg V 133,and that's because these select few send the bullet to the address more accurately than others!They are of course in the 'absolutely spot on'-business-and for 5x5 shots,every competition.

There is absolutely no doubt of course that the 'wrong bullet' may never perform in a given barrel-though this is usually for reasons of twist etc,rather than individual barrel-,though occasionally two 'identical' factory barrels turn out not to be.

And much of this depends on what you accept as good enough-aggregating .3 moa for 25 shots won't get you on the podium at most BR matches,but it won't miss any foxes,and very,very few crows...

If you move up to deer size targets at sub 200 yards,then an inch or so difference won't normally be apparent,over years of experience(and fine tuning seating depth etc offers limited returns for effort).

Gbal

personally 0.2 moa is what I am aiming for, but not thinking of entering any target comps just what to hit the crows.

Well,no harm in having high standards,so long as you are prepared not to quite get there.Most bench rest shooters won't aggregate .2,and they are using top gear,under pretty good conditions-concrete bench,really good rests...hardly field conditions.Slightly better is that you don't need .2moa for crows,and slightly less good is that group size-and critical first shot accuracy-is affected by many other factors,so absolute rifle/ammo performance isn't the be all and end all,welcome though it is.One can,and will,miss for other reasons,but should not miss very often at shortish range,say approx under 250 yards,with a .3 -or even a bit larger-moa rifle.

Gbal

in field conditions I am getting 0.3's at the moment (best groups).

have been reloading for about 7 months now just trying as many combinations as I can before re-barrelling.

Fine-esp if some are 5 shot-though arguably,it does not matter.What does is consistency-what do the groups aggregate,not THE best one-do all the others with that load stay pretty good too?I would not wear out too many barrels in search of a possibly non existent super load,though it can be fun.

Gbal

Fine-esp if some are 5 shot-though arguably,it does not matter.What does is consistency-what do the groups aggregate,not THE best one-do all the others with that load stay pretty good too?I would not wear out too many barrels in search of a possibly non existent super load,though it can be fun.

Gbal

ive spent years wearing out barrels for that none existent super load gbal,ye your right there no matter how much you try it is what it is, but ive had many of afternoons fun doing it as you said, this vssf ive put 300 through it already and shot about 30 foxes with it...ha ha atb simon

that's correct its all about consistency. like I said my best load so far are shooting in the .3's but this is no good enough for me.

constantly trying to improve my shooting is half the fun. ;)

ye pal it can get a bit obsessive,i use three center fire rifles and the one that shoots the worst thats the one i always seem to play with,this doesn't happen often but when i do group after group that all clover leaf i actually get bored then,thats why this 22.250 at the moment dosen't seem to get them touching with ballistic tips and i will achieve it if i have to try every powder and bullet in the country,atb simon

ye pal it can get a bit obsessive,i use three center fire rifles and the one that shoots the worst thats the one i always seem to play with,this doesn't happen often but when i do group after group that all clover leaf i actually get bored then,thats why this 22.250 at the moment dosen't seem to get them touching with ballistic tips and i will achieve it if i have to try every powder and bullet in the country,atb simon

its an addiction mate!

like smoking but without the nicotine.

cost about the same as well. :(

Archived