8 pointer Red, what a result.

shooter79

photo1_zps623d0615.jpg

Finally a week of leave and the chance to get out on a week day. Dropped this 8 pointer monster this morning. The rut is well and truly underway. Big thanks to Exeter lad on here for his guns, they certainly helped with the drag. Dressed out hanging minus head and lower legs he weighed 271lbs (123kg) (19 stone)

Regards

Carl

Niceone Carl, good size to. I bet he was about 200lb or so coming from that area. I have a nice hardwood sheild here to fit that if you want one, but beware most women don't like heads indoors trust me, my 11 pointer is in the garden getting sun bleached :mad: . That AI is on form mate.

Jim

AE mk3 on the ball again with a neck shot. People say its not a stalking rifle but it performs again and again.

If its your choice of delivery system,that's fine.Very few rifles are totally unsuitable as 'stalking' rifles,though if substantial walking and carrying are involved-as on Highland hills-then the shooter has to have the stamina to carry his choice-which was the main reason the 'classic' lighter stalking rifle evolved.Given that,confidence is important,but ultimately it is the cartridge that does the job,and the rifle is secondary (given it is accurate enough etc,which most are).Thankfully,the AI has no legitimate civilian application for it's original design,but there is no performance reason not to enjoy it as a stalking rifle.It works,very well for those that can handle it.

Gbal

That looks a nice easy drag! What bullet? Ive loaded some 125 sst's for my ae ae, not developed the load but still shooting sub moa 5 shot group, was hoping to drop some fallow with them but struggling to get out in daylight

Niceone Carl, good size to. I bet he was about 200lb or so coming from that area. I have a nice hardwood sheild here to fit that if you want one, but beware most women don't like heads indoors trust me, my 11 pointer is in the garden getting sun bleached :mad: . That AI is on form mate.

Jim

Jim

He was 271 lbs dressed out with skin on minus the head and lower legs, not sure how that rates for down here in the south west. Can you send me a pic of the shield please, i may be interested. When are due up the SM next? Wife won't get a choice on this one, its going up, enough said. I've just taken all the skin off, any ideas on removing the brain cavity, this is my first attempt and i want to get it right.

Carl

Jim

Jim

He was 271 lbs dressed out with skin on minus the head and lower legs, not sure how that rates for down here in the south west. Can you send me a pic of the shield please, i may be interested. When are due up the SM next? Wife won't get a choice on this one, its going up, enough said. I've just taken all the skin off, any ideas on removing the brain cavity, this is my first attempt and i want to get it right.

Carl

Have I got the truck sticker for you!

690d4c81-a530-4544-aa60-2e8eda1f57d7_zps

Got any left?

re truck sticker.

They were giving these away at the recent Sika Show I attended here in NZ. I know Jim their rep and have a reel coming so I'll ask. Don't get your hopes up though.

Here's its brother:

sticker2_zps1bf99b83.jpg

re truck sticker.

They were giving these away at the recent Sika Show I attended here in NZ. I know Jim their rep and have a reel coming so I'll ask. Don't get your hopes up though.

Here's its brother:

sticker2_zps1bf99b83.jpg

Seen these-and similar-on t shirts, too (in USA)

Gbal

That looks a nice easy drag! What bullet? Ive loaded some 125 sst's for my ae ae, not developed the load but still shooting sub moa 5 shot group, was hoping to drop some fallow with them but struggling to get out in daylight

Drag was a slight issue, lucky i had Exeter Lad on here to help me. Reference the bullet/calibre i used some cheap factory 150 Winchester soft points in .308 Winchester only because i wanted to clear them out, normally i reload my own. I shot this beast in the neck as he was looking at me from the prone position and although the bullet landed spot on it seems to have done minimal damage this time as he ran on around 400 yards and bled out looking at the whites of his eyes. I wonder if i had placed a shot in the boiler room would he of ran on? This stag was the biggest i've ever shot but now wonder if i should revise my choice of reloads for the larger animals? I may give the SST's a go next time round.

This was the first time i've ever had a runner, normally if i shoot them in the neck the - shatters dropping them on the spot but i'm sure it won't be the last time, bullets do strange things on impact!

Carl.

Drag was a slight issue, lucky i had Exeter Lad on here to help me. Reference the bullet/calibre i used some cheap factory 150 Winchester soft points in .308 Winchester only because i wanted to clear them out, normally i reload my own. I shot this beast in the neck as he was looking at me from the prone position and although the bullet landed spot on it seems to have done minimal damage this time as he ran on around 400 yards and bled out looking at the whites of his eyes. I wonder if i had placed a shot in the boiler room would he of ran on? This stag was the biggest i've ever shot but now wonder if i should revise my choice of reloads for the larger animals? I may give the SST's a go next time round.

This was the first time i've ever had a runner, normally if i shoot them in the neck the - shatters dropping them on the spot but i'm sure it won't be the last time, bullets do strange things on impact!

Carl.

Given basic accuracy,the cartridge/bullet is more critical than the delivery system. The 'runner' here is down to the particular bullet and impact details,not the rifle .The rifle basically takes neither credit nor blame,and it is very unlikely any other rifle would have had any different result.A different shot placement,or bullet construction,may have been more immediately effective or not-we just will never know,on a one off. Were the - as 'shattered' as usual on neck shots-if not,that may be the reason.Even the very best bullets can 'vary',but they vary much less than the lesser bullets! The 'variation' of the best constructed bullets is in reality usually other factors-bone deflection,high adrenalin and so on.As you say 'it happens',but happens more with poorer bullets.

Gbal

Given basic accuracy,the cartridge/bullet is more critical than the delivery system. The 'runner' here is down to the particular bullet and impact details,not the rifle .The rifle basically takes neither credit nor blame,and it is very unlikely any other rifle would have had any different result.A different shot placement,or bullet construction,may have been more immediately effective or not-we just will never know,on a one off. Were the - as 'shattered' as usual on neck shots-if not,that may be the reason.Even the very best bullets can 'vary',but they vary much less than the lesser bullets! The 'variation' of the best constructed bullets is in reality usually other factors-bone deflection,high adrenalin and so on.As you say 'it happens',but happens more with poorer bullets.

Gbal

Had a chat we a serious Sika shooter friend in Dorset tonight and he believes that because the rut has just started, and the stags are in prime condition, the bullet may of been absorbed by the heavy neck fat in place.

Thoughts?

Was an amazing experience mate!! Thanks... Not many people have this opportunity there are some serious beasts on the land plenty of hinds too for the winter months... I got my eyes on that big 8 maybe 10 pointer though ;) lol.. The drag was emotional but it's all part of it.. Very enjoyable I feel rather privileged to say the least! :)

Well I didn't get out today. Mrs banned me due to no phone signal on my ground.

The one thing I didn't mis was the drag out. I hate malling stinky beasts!

Reference your neck shot though. I am surprised by it running. I would have thought the hydrostatic shock would have put it down. I took a large red this time last year with a 7mm 140gr nosler balistic tip directly from behind and it dropped like a sack of spuds. The bullet held together well.

During the rut its neck would have strenghtened and thickened,a shot from the front has a lot of muscle and tissue to get through to hit the spine the lower on the neck the more tissue to get through and depending on where it hit on the neck the bullet could well miss the vertebra especially as its path through the muscle is random and compounded by using sp bullets which tend to retain more mass,a neck shot from the back is far more likley to have an instant effect as the spine lays close to the skin and as such is not protected by muscle in the same way.

During the rut its neck would have strenghtened and thickened,a shot from the front has a lot of muscle and tissue to get through to hit the spine the lower on the neck the more tissue to get through and depending on where it hit on the neck the bullet could well miss the vertebra especially as its path through the muscle is random and compounded by using sp bullets which tend to retain more mass,a neck shot from the back is far more likley to have an instant effect as the spine lays close to the skin and as such is not protected by muscle in the same way.

well put :D

Archived