8 pointer Red, what a result.

shooter79

When i need something a little harder hitting on the reds i get out the old 180grn Sako Hammer Heads for the 30.06 that i keep in reserve just in case, but mainly i use my Hornady reloads.

post-11421-0-27444400-1381960449_thumb.jpg

Ohh very good lol I actually took the name wordsworth from a cartoon its the name of the dog in Jamie and the magic torch lol

Ah,yes...down the helter skelter into Cuckooland...

...we get the occasional reload recipe that seems to be going that way....

How is the dog with NV and Thermal gear?

Great stuff on the neck shots with the big reds.

Gbal

When i need something a little harder hitting on the reds i get out the old 180grn Sako Hammer Heads for the 30.06 that i keep in reserve just in case, but mainly i use my Hornady reloads.

Going to start using a 180 grain bullet mate to deliver a knock out, at the same time need to think about the advice given about the - location and never rule out placing a shot in the boiler room. Every situation is different and you need to be able to adapt on the fly.

Carl

Going to start using a 180 grain bullet mate to deliver a knock out, at the same time need to think about the advice given about the - location and never rule out placing a shot in the boiler room. Every situation is different and you need to be able to adapt on the fly.

Carl

Carl,here are two tales from my formative years:

One student job was as general ' gopher' on a highland deer forest,but it included 'go for' the wounded stags.One visitor shot a stag that ran(a through and through,it transpired).Over the eventual post mortem,the visitor expressed surprise as he had that very year used the same rifle (a Weatherby mag,270 I think) very successfully on rams in Colorado,and it was generating 'well over 3000 ft lbs of energy',whereupon the very disgruntled ghillie muttered much too loudly "Aye,maist of it into the bloody heather".

Taylor,the great african white hunter, once asked a client what would he wish for if charged by an angry elephant,and got the reply "A shot that killed it'.Seems reasonable,but as Taylor pointed out,it isn't-what is needed is a shot that stops the charge,on the spot,lest you are gored/trampled by a 'dead but does not know it yet ' mass.You can then dispatch the downed beast in some safety.And he derived the 'Taylor Knock Out Index' to measure just that,in different loads.

So,the advice about heavy bullets has some back up,as well as first hand experience:

Just as a comparison,

.270 WM 140 W BST :200 yards,energy 2551 ft lb,Taylor KO 15.9

30-06 norma 180 Nosler 200yds energy 2172 ft lb, Taylor KO 18.5

Not all bullets of the same calibre/weight are constructed to be equal of course,but it makes the point that there are very real differences,and is worth looking at,and not just for dangerous pachyderms!

Good hunting

Gbal

• 2 weeks later...

photo1_zpsa32f3d74.jpg

After a boiling session and a touch of washing powder I'm now ready for the peroxide. I didn't need the jig in the end and feel fairly confident with my cutting ability although if you can practice on an old skull I would.

More pictures to follow

• 1 month later...

Archived