silk purse from a sows ear

triggersqueezer

i bought some hornady brass cheap as part of a deal and i'm sat here just uniforming the primer pockets and the flash holes don't exactly look central on many of them.i started out thinking of using them for mcqueens to save my lapua brass.i thought sub 400 yds they should be ok by the time i have done the bizz on them.do any of you guys bother with cheap brass or am i wasting my time here?

mike

If you got the brass for a good price and are happy to spend time on preparation then I don't think it will be wasted.

I usually give my Lapua a good 'going over' by way of prep in any case.....dinged necks, neck tension too tight so goes through an expander mandrel, chamfering after any trimming , flash holes usually show no burrs but a uniformer will typically take a very small shaving around the outer edge of the flash-hole so its clearly squaring things up.

I always use Lapua except for my 6MM SLR where I use Winchester brass ...it all needs prep to get it up to scratch.

Never used Hornady but it is probably perfectly OK.

Judge by results.

proper helpfull henry thankyou.going to give them a try.

id try a small amount first to see if ok . then sort out others IF they perform to your satisfactory .. cheers tim..

Archived