Sako TRG-22 Barrel Options

Brillo

As I have mentioned on other posts my TRG struggles after 900 yards. An option I have discussed with 'Smith' of good repute is to re-barrel the rifle to a 30" tube and keep the original barrel in store to ensure it has a good resale value if ever I decide to sell the gun.

This strikes me as a relatively low cost option for shooting a .308 successfully at 1000 yards rather than invest in another F/TR rifle as I like the ergonomics of the TRG and I personally like the action and trigger.

The reason I mention this on here is to ask if anyone has done this on a TRG-22 and if so what was it like? Was it a successful modification and did it shoot well? If not, why not?

Might be worth checking the weight implication of a longer thus heavier barrel fitted to a TRG action and stock. All up weight limit for f-tr is 8.25kg including rifle, scope and bipod.

Sounds like a good plan though

Alan

As I have mentioned on other posts my TRG struggles after 900 yards. An option I have discussed with 'Smith' of good repute is to re-barrel the rifle to a 30" tube and keep the original barrel in store to ensure it has a good resale value if ever I decide to sell the gun.

This strikes me as a relatively low cost option for shooting a .308 successfully at 1000 yards rather than invest in another F/TR rifle as I like the ergonomics of the TRG and I personally like the action and trigger.

The reason I mention this on here is to ask if anyone has done this on a TRG-22 and if so what was it like? Was it a successful modification and did it shoot well? If not, why not?

I would have thought the performance in 308 at 1000 y would be very much as any other target grade rifle in 308 with a 30 inch barrel-ie a little more velocity,which is certainly needed.Not much else to try,anyhow,except seriously heavy,high BC,bullets.

Gbal

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brillo,

I own a TRG in 308 . I shoot monthly at Bisley with it, I shoot 600/900 and 1000, my most recent score Oct 2013 900yds 50.6v (168g MK Vit N150 Lapua case) My TRG has no long range issues , its had around 3500 rounds through it.

You may find Your barrel needs a real good scrub, Sako say the barrel is Squaddie proof for 10000 rounds.

Hi There Bisleyboy. Welcome to the forum.

I think it is a matter of expectations and comparison with other scores/shooters/rifles. I can achieve average scores of 59 but I don't see it getting much higher than mid - high 60s with the 26" barrel. It isn't possible to get any more than about 1300fps at the target so the wind effect is greater than it would be if the bullet was at Mach 1.2. The longer barrels have the edge against me because those I'm shooting with have, on average, a MV of 2950 to 3020 fps. There is no way I'll get that out of my 26" tube.

I am currently developing loads with 185 grain bullets at 2600 - 2650 fps and these show promise but the felt recoils is not pleasant.

I shall be at Bisley again on 24th November. Might see you there to compare notes.

Bisleyboy-welcome to the forum. I'm not sure that 168 g are the best for 8/9/1000 yards,but they are quite pleasant to shoot.

Brillo '185@2650..felt recoil is not pleasant.' Agreed,in a normal weight rifle.

To be competitive with eg 6.5 (142@2950) the 308 needs 220 g @ 2650,and shoulder life is presumably much reduced!

Gbal

Archived