foxing

pork chop

just got back from a little outing and missed another fox .out of the last four i've shot at only one was bagged,it's not me or the gun (well may be i have a big part in it) shot it yesterday and put in some 1/2" and 3/4" groups @ 200 yrd and one of the best 600yrd groups i've ever shot.the one i just missed was only 100yrd away but i was the wrong side of little rise in the field i could see his head so took the shot and hit the ground about 30 yrd in front of me.so it's just a run of bad luck,any one else going through it :wacko:

kinda sorta!! Goes in phases I find. Missed 2 in the week. Cant explain part of it (see my accuracy prob post) but the rest is me. I have tried 2 headshots instead of waiting. Most of my cock ups come from neither bad shooting or faulty kit but poor decision making. It'll pass Im sure

What are you shooting from truck bipod sticks?

first one i was resting on a post pulled the shot one of those you know you missed as soon as you pulled the trigger,second one off bipod about 250 yrd face on never touched it i just laid there with my mouth open wondering what had happed.checked zero after that and bang on.yesterday was just bad luck

head shots-all you miss is the head!

yes did'nt wound anything ,thats the only good thing that came out of it.hate wounding thankfully that is a rare event

second one could of been line of sight vs trajectory.

Reason I asked is I had a bad shot, follow up was bang on, worked out probable cause later as fidgety lamper. The kids are fairly good at the job and we learned from it.

One other shot that required a 300 yd follow up was pilot error I thought a small fox was further away than it was.

Fidgety lamper that's a new one!

Surely only the man squeezing the trigger can be to blame for a miss...

I am on a roll, but more than likely have just jinked myself.

Abolter sums it up spot on "most cock ups come from neither bad shooting or faulty kit but poor decision making"

Bide your time, pass up on the shot if your not comfortable there is always next time. Must admit that using nv sure gives you a massive upper hand in the decision making, under the lamp sometimes all you've got is a few vital seconds before Charlie is looking for a sharp exit.

Its all good fun Porkchop, and you'll have plenty fun trying to catch up with the missed ones! But you carn't beat a good challenge.

Happy hunting Lads.

+1 for poor decision making. I've lost many a fox due to being either too hasty or too cautious. And shedloads of pigeons due to getting the flask out because there were none coming - and then they swarm in. It happens to all of us.

Stick to target shooting and leave the foxing

to the big boys mate. We dont have this problem when i shoot...... The lamper

Oh dear. Aren't we Mr personality. Bet your lamps a Logun. (Can't find any Smiley's on this thing so consider my tongue poking out).

To add a bit more to the lamping bit, I find lamping more satisfying than just pulling the trigger. I think the driving and lamping and spotting what you lamp and anticipating it's movement can be a lot harder than shooting the beastie.

Pork chop and 204 rem "chesterfields" dream team......

You's should have a shoot off at dawn to decide who gets what job on your next foxing expedition, that's if your still speaking ladies!?

:lol: we prefer to be called the A team

we all miss pal,in the day nice and calm we can all shoot nice groups at 100 or 200 yard and a lot more, but at night its a different story judging distance etc,wind even the lamper expecting you to just hit every thing you see, its not easy if you ask me and i have shot foxes for 25 years, at least you admit defeat quite a lot won't ha ha, i just think at night take your time more and don't just shoot out as far as in the day, that seems to help,cheers simon......

Fidgety lamper....... yeah, know what you mean ;) It's happened a couple of times over the years with my mate ..... Fox back in the bushes or undergrowth.... I've got a clear view of it in the 'scope and just waiting for the right moment to get a clean shot but because he can't see it or the eye shine he thinks it's moved and moves the light to try and pick it up again. Fox loses the spell of the lamp and clears offski. <_< Merde.

Either that or the driver thinks it's gone and has moved the truck.

Part of life's rich pageant.

Fizz

B)

that what makes it fun.the long shots the misses the ones that run at you then you find the gun empty.then falling out over that missed one and who,s fault it was.stepping back over a four foot fence of to find it,s six foot the other side and landing on your arse,falling down the rabbit hole and having your gun stuck put the ground like a spear that's just a couple,remember those rem.who wants to kill every fox you see not me that's for sure.long may it continue

shooting 1/4" groups in a calm and patient manner off a bipod and bags with all the time in the world counts for diddly squat in the field.

practice how you expect to shoot

missed opportunity is not the same as missed shot.

if your confidence is knocked bring them in closer or do some confidence building exercises like shooting at varying distance targets from a daylight simulated lamping session

when I said fidgety lamper I mean 13 year old sat out of the door/window shining the lamp over the roof moving at the wrong time just unlucky. Bar having hydraulic leg to put down for the shot I can't see a fool proof cure regardless who's holding the lamp.

I did test the theory I tend to zero of the bonnet with bipod and rear bag its more realistic than prone. So I left the dog in the cab it opened the groups up with what you would call pulled otherwise. It may happen more often than we think but unless it results in a miss or wounded fox its not noticed.

On a slightly different note due to a road block I took a cross country detour over my permission. So as you do had a quick look round with the lamp. Bold as you like a fox trotted through the pens typical no gun. mind you the look on the traffic management bloke's face nearly made up for it when I came through.

when I said fidgety lamper I mean 13 year old sat out of the door/window shining the lamp over the roof moving at the wrong time just unlucky. Bar having hydraulic leg to put down for the shot I can't see a fool proof cure regardless who's holding the lamp.

I did test the theory I tend to zero of the bonnet with bipod and rear bag its more realistic than prone. So I left the dog in the cab it opened the groups up with what you would call pulled otherwise. It may happen more often than we think but unless it results in a miss or wounded fox its not noticed.

On a slightly different note due to a road block I took a cross country detour over my permission. So as you do had a quick look round with the lamp. Bold as you like a fox trotted through the pens typical no gun. mind you the look on the traffic management bloke's face nearly made up for it when I came through.

if you have a fidgety lamper simply use a gun mounted lamp with a small lithium battery strapped to your stock or in a AIM but bag,for the shot,let the 13 year old spot the fox .THEN ONLY YOU TO BLAME WHEN YOU MISS.......

if you have a fidgety lamper simply use a gun mounted lamp with a small lithium battery strapped to your stock or in a AIM but bag,for the shot,let the 13 year old spot the fox .THEN ONLY YOU TO BLAME WHEN YOU MISS.......

I think you missed my point, we are both sat in the pickup, I drive and shoot from a rest mounted on the door. My lamper be son or daughter sits' in the passenger seat or more often than not on the window opening shining the lamp over the roof to my side. A shift of any kind can move the truck enough to cause a miss or worse. Hence the test with the dog in the cab, she moved around to try mark what I was shooting at and it was enough to ruin good groups. The cure would be to get out and use sticks, My kids can sometimes see the fox better than me so I won't be changing the team any time soon.

The thing is if as a lot do you drive round as team of two or three, say rifle in the back lamper in the passenger seat and of course your driver. What if just as you squeeze the trigger the driver moves for a better view. Does that move the vehicle? It does mine. Rather than try make excuses I'm pointing out a problem that may have cost you a fox.

I agree that reaching to point the lamp over the roof is a pain.....

Rather than cut a hole in the roof of my motor, I put on a roof rack bar and mounted a T handle Lightforce 170 to it using one of the hinged mounting brackets that come with the sucker bar version.

I just added a couple of longer bolts with wing nuts and a piece of ply to form a clamp. The hinge means you can fold it out of the way to get out of the door and with the roof bar I can use it both sides of the motor as necessary.

I think I paid around £25 for the hinged bracket.... they are sold separately but you might have to hunt around or order one in specially.

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

Archived