Shooting in the rain

Malyutka

Hi guys,

I wonder what should I be using to protect my rifle in the rain. I was shooting in the raing only once, put a towel on top of scope & rifle, but noticed it got wet very quickly. Thanks in advance for your answers.

I have found that I regularly get stiff bolt lift if the chamber/brass gets wet. Could be that there is reduced grip and the brass is flowing more readily?

Put your rifle slip over the rifle if you get a shower, I carry a large canvas cloth to catch my brass which doubles up as a tent when I have to shoot in rain. I had considered treating it with a water proofer.

During a recent F class league shoot at Diggle in the rain, some shooters use a piece of clear plastic sheet. It has a hole cut in the top so the elevation turret pokes through.

The length is about a scopes length and it touches the ground either side. I use a towel which does me, but can get soaked, so I have a spare.

I saw a picture recently on a shooting equipment website, but I can't remember which one it was. This picture showed someone shooting from under a large plastic sheet that was pinned to the ground on all for corners. The sheet covered the shooter from head to foot and the only thing poking through was the rifle barrel.

It must have taken a while to set up but everything of importance was covered. How easy it would be to complete a score card underneath is a moot point.

I saw a picture recently on a shooting equipment website, but I can't remember which one it was. This picture showed someone shooting from under a large plastic sheet that was pinned to the ground on all for corners. The sheet covered the shooter from head to foot and the only thing poking through was the rifle barrel.

It must have taken a while to set up but everything of importance was covered. How easy it would be to complete a score card underneath is a moot point.

Not really 'on' for partnered comp. shooting - the plastic sheet is a better idea and now that 'bald-headed geordie' has enough for two maybe he will swap half for a bore-guide?

Not really 'on' for partnered comp. shooting - the plastic sheet is a better idea and now that 'bald-headed geordie' has enough for two maybe he will swap half for a bore-guide?

Are you going to Blair Vince? If so I will bring up the plastic sheet and a pair of scissors!!!!

AFAIK, F Class League shoots are run under NRA Rules of Shooting and there are limits on how you may screen yourself and your rifle.

Quoting from the NRA Handbook 2013, which can be downloaded from the NRA website:

210 A competitor may not screen himself or his firearm from the sun or weather, nor allow anyone else to do so (see Para 547). However a piece of soft material or an action cover may be used to cover the action, and adhesive tape may be stuck to the barrel or action. A mirage band may be used. Devices covering the action or acting to reduce the effect of mirage may be draped as the competitor wishes, but may only be attached to themselves and/or the firearm.

So a chammy or towel (I use a microfibre cloth) draped over the rifle is OK. I believe HPS make a soft plastic action cover, also OK. But that's as far as you can go. Plastic shooting tunnels are not permitted.

During F class national league comps some competitors do use a clear plastic sheet to cover the action only. The size is about the length of their scope and drops down nearly touching the ground and some are weighted. So it does not cover the competitor or barrel and if that is considered illegal by the NRA so be it. But no one has raised any issue with the use of clear plastic to date at our competitions, so I will use one if it rains.

Hi Geordie,

If it is windy, what do use to make sure that the plastic cover doesn't fly away? Thank you for your great advice.

The best way to carry the plastic sheet is on a roller - so that weighs it down at one side. If it's raining AND windy - go home!

Hi Geordie,

If it is windy, what do use to make sure that the plastic cover doesn't fly away? Thank you for your great advice.

You can either weight the 'sides' down to stop it flapping or if there is room on the firing point, get 2 Swiss au pairs (approx age 18 of course) to hold your ends down.

The choice is yours! I know which one I will be doing!

Nah .... there's bound to be some NRA rule that forbids that practice. Anyway, unless they're Inuit, they'd freeze to death at Diggle, even without it raining!

Beware this shooter people. One of the best shots its been my privilege to shoot with.

Shot at ORA open today and malyutka got a 150 out of 150. Some shooting...........................

Archived