Knife Sharpening

I just use a good old india oil stone freehand, I have one for work being a joiner I am well used to sharpening tools, I find the edge uncomparable with anything else, nothing like a lovely sharp knife you just have to lightly press the knife to cut through tissue. Also those new fine grade diamond water stones are very good but for me the oil stone just has the edge (no pun intended :lol: )

i will never sharpen my knife again, as this is what happens when you are not paying attention :lol:

Picture.jpg

ATB

Colin :D

I thought that was all part of the claim for white finger you were putting in against the Coal Board Col :D

I,ve used the Lansky system for a good few years.It has four angle settings, allowing for scalpel blades, up to bone breaking blades [all different angles] Its simple, and its safe [get one Col :lol: ] that bandage will stop thee picking thi snout :D

lansky to get the profile then kitchen devil ceramic rollers for the razor razor razor edge

google a search for a sharpner in south africa thats all the rage called warthog, I gues if you dont thin down the search by including things like sharpen etc you will get lots of pictures of warthog or camborne girls

I have tried it and its the muts....... the tests doglicles

I pre shape my knives on a diamond water cooled belt grinder to

about 25 deg, then I use a sintered ceramic AL2O3 rod to edge

the cutting edge to somewhere 28-35 deg, by hand.

The best edge I get is by running over a very smooth

sintered Silicon Carbide rod. This method will roughly give a

two angle edge. Best would be a radius though going from

a flat angle to a steeper angle towards the edge. This

cannot be achieved by cheap sharpening devices.

That's why all good knives are hand sharpened.

edi

I pre shape my knives on a diamond water cooled belt grinder to

about 25 deg, then I use a sintered ceramic AL2O3 rod to edge

the cutting edge to somewhere 28-35 deg, by hand.

The best edge I get is by running over a very smooth

sintered Silicon Carbide rod. This method will roughly give a

two angle edge. Best would be a radius though going from

a flat angle to a steeper angle towards the edge. This

cannot be achieved by cheap sharpening devices.

That's why all good knives are hand sharpened.

edi

The sharpener I use looks cheap, but I tell you what it works, works better than anything ive used. The guy who makes these (German) has tried all manner of materials he was telling me and this has been the final result, it is simple but man does it work. It will do everything from axes to table knives.

I use a proper whetstone running in water with a rest and holder, it puts a shaving edge on in seconds and removes only a minute amount of metal , then polish on a diamond impregnated leather wheel at the other end. Its made by a firm called Tormek and is the dogs doodahs, but as edi says not cheap.

I think Cols been to cornwall and they branded him :lol:

Redfox

lansky to get the profile then kitchen devil ceramic rollers for the razor razor razor edge

google a search for a sharpner in south africa thats all the rage called warthog, I gues if you dont thin down the search by including things like sharpen etc you will get lots of pictures of warthog or camborne girls

I have tried it and its the muts....... the tests doglicles

Whats wrong with Camborne girls, you Truro boys are too fussy :lol:

Kal I didn't quite get how that thing is used.

Red running on a soft wheel or leather impregnated creates

just this radius that I mentioned. One just has to be carefull that

the last tenth of a mill doesn't get too steep an angle.

We found that a knife cuts very well with the last tenth to be

at up to 50 deg. This obviously takes a tiny bit of rasor sharpness away

but makes the cutting edge very stable and long lasting.

Silent the blades we make don't bur while sharpening, makes things easier.

Therefore other problems.

edi

edi

eyez confoooozed ed ???

Silent, those ceramic blades we make don't bur while grinding, but

easily chip, all gear must run smooth. A bit like crystal grinding.

Compared to steel we have little tensile strenght but is much much harder

than steel. Took us two years to find a method. Steel would be easy to

sharpen if only the bloody bur wouldn't occur, as we all know.

edi

Kal I didn't quite get how that thing is used.

Red running on a soft wheel or leather impregnated creates

just this radius that I mentioned. One just has to be carefull that

the last tenth of a mill doesn't get too steep an angle.

We found that a knife cuts very well with the last tenth to be

at up to 50 deg. This obviously takes a tiny bit of rasor sharpness away

but makes the cutting edge very stable and long lasting.

edi

The plastic is set at the right angle, all you need do is stroke (with zero pressure) the blade and it puts a lasting edge on it. I didnt bleieve it so took a gamble but it is just amazing, ive for a Gerber pack Axe that was burred, this thing takes away the burrs and replaces the edge, not as new of course.

All my knives stay like razors (good steel of course) as a result of this sharpener. :lol:

The plastic is set at the right angle, all you need do is stroke (with zero pressure) the blade and it puts a lasting edge on it. I didnt bleieve it so took a gamble but it is just amazing, ive for a Gerber pack Axe that was burred, this thing takes away the burrs and replaces the edge, not as new of course.

All my knives stay like razors (good steel of course) as a result of this sharpener. :lol:

More than one way to skin a cat eh.

edi

Guest varmartin

You buggers are far to fussy ......I use the kitchen step :lol:

Joking aside.....I have a Fallkniven DC4 just for putting an edge on in the field if needed. ( i cant sharpen worth a shite )

I have a good friend who uses Japanese water stones up to 10,000 grit then a leather to finish......scary sharp :D

you can tell when a blade is sharp..that`s when you cannot see the edge. !

Martin

Whats wrong with Camborne girls, you Truro boys are too fussy :lol:

Some of us Truro boys are fussy and it paid off, my wife and Silent's encourage us to go shooting they know all about loading and what rifle is what and then at the end of the day they will gut, skin, pluck, fillet and cook for us ;) Tis a good life in Cornwall pard ;):lol::lol:

Some of us Truro boys are fussy and it paid off, my wife and Silent's encourage us to go shooting they know all about loading and what rifle is what and then at the end of the day they will gut, skin, pluck, fillet and cook for us ;) Tis a good life in Cornwall pard :lol:;):lol:

its true ,these boys are so lucly!!!!!!!!,now take my wife ! please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:;):lol:

Some of us Truro boys are fussy and it paid off, my wife and Silent's encourage us to go shooting they know all about loading and what rifle is what and then at the end of the day they will gut, skin, pluck, fillet and cook for us ;) Tis a good life in Cornwall pard :lol::lol::lol:

Well being a Camborne man I was never as lucky, ( ended up marrying a bleddy Yorkshire woman ), but I did used to avail myself of the pleasures that the trainee nurses up Treliske would give, they was always ready to learn about anatomy and biology as I remember :lol: For whats it worth I've always used a oilstone and a steel, sharp as makes no difference.

Well being a Camborne man I was never as lucky, ( ended up marrying a bleddy Yorkshire woman ), but I did used to avail myself of the pleasures that the trainee nurses up Treliske would give, they was always ready to learn about anatomy and biology as I remember :lol: For whats it worth I've always used a oilstone and a steel, sharp as makes no difference.

You would have a job with them nurses now pard, there is no nursing homes there now :lol: Them were the days :lol: I was lucky enough to live with in spitting distance of em' :lol: And I used to be a postman up there too :lol:;)

Archived