Advice on what NV system and Illuminator to go with it is???

Jamie

Hi folks.

I've decided i've had enough of experimenting with diy night vision systems, camcorders and illuminators.... (All be it I've been too lazy to get around to using some of it, but had reasonable success with what i have used.....)

I'm just going to shell out on a commercial NV system with a decent Illuminator.

Despite being linked i'm after seperate opinions, best Illuminator, best NV system.

As for the Illuminator, I'd more or less made my mind up, going with the Night-Master 800IR.

However, i've noticed that Night-Hunter produce a similar illuminator, that is known as Wolf Eyes. Am I right in thinking it's made under their name.... :blush:

Anyhow, so, I'm after anyone out there who has knowledge/experience with both, and what you would rate as the better option of the 2?? Or a link to reviews???

Secondly, (and apologies if i'm asking what's already been covered), however, i'm after a night-vision system that can be switched from one rifle to the other. Basically, something like the

Nite-Site system.

However, I think that while Nite Site were the dogs. They seem to have not only gone stagnant, but have become greedy... (Maybe i'm wrong, but what other companies still use old lead acid batteries with lithium "upgrades" at an outrageous extra cost??) :rolleyes:

Anyway,......It would appear that the Nite-Hunter Sniper Cam can be used as a "spotter" unit on it's own to, but can also obviously be attached to most scopes. A big bonus in a confined grain barn, shooting rats....

Now to be fair, (to me) the Sniper Cam system appears to be the best all round unit, partly due to its versatility, in being able to be also used as a spotter cam.

Again, I would appreciate some constructive comments on whether the Nite-Hunter outfit is the best for money out there at this current time. And if not, what would be a good alternative, with the ability to be used as a spotter to.

atb

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I'd go with the nightmaster 800, Ive got 2 one I use with my bresser spotter and the other I use combined with an archer for foxing.

For rabbits Ive been using a pulsar challenger coupled with a N1000ap laser great out to around 50yds but struggles after that.

Ive ordered a Yukon photon to replace the challenger and I'll use the NM800 with this - if it ever turns up!

Really what ever you choose comes down to budget.

Andy

I have a Wolf eyes and use it with a 14 for spotting my mate has a nm you can not really tell them apart. The 500ir from nite-hunter is also very powerful and the bloke was good to deal with I sometimes use the 500 with my longbow

Hi Jamie,

I'd go with the nightmaster 800, Ive got 2 one I use with my bresser spotter and the other I use combined with an archer for foxing.

For rabbits Ive been using a pulsar challenger coupled with a N1000ap laser great out to around 50yds but struggles after that.

Ive ordered a Yukon photon to replace the challenger and I'll use the NM800 with this - if it ever turns up!

Andy

Thanks for the replies.

I like the Photon, and it looks to be a great bit of kit, but maybe abit too rifle specific??. And after calling a few main dealers, it seems there's a huge waiting time. But saying that, i can see one sitting on a .22wmr in my cabinet in 12 months plus when things settle down though....

Hi Jamie,

Andy

Thanks for the replies.

I like the Photon, and it looks to be a great bit of kit, but maybe abit too rifle specific??. And after calling a few main dealers, it seems there's a huge waiting time. But saying that, i can see one sitting on a .22wmr in my cabinet in 12 months plus when things settle down though....

I have a Wolf eyes and use it with a 14 for spotting my mate has a nm you can not really tell them apart. The 500ir from nite-hunter is also very powerful and the bloke was good to deal with I sometimes use the 500 with my longbow

I didn't know they had something "better" than the NM800 and Wolf Eyes!?

Do you know how the NH 500ir compares to the NM800 and Wolf Eyes??

I do intend on ringing NH tomorrow, I just wanted a few opinions in the mean time from users.

atb

Jamie

At an open day yesterday held by Thomas Jacks/Scott's Country. There was some very nice kit there indeed. They had the nm800ir covert illuminator which in the dark room had no "red glow" from the unit whatsoever although they admit the range isn't as good as the usual nm800ir although still more than enough than anyone would wish to shoot at night, the non covert version had very little glow. The photon looks excellent value for the money and they had a the new nm400ir which is about half the size of the nm800ir with a range of 250-300 yards so still plenty but mabey not the best for spotting at longer ranges? Thermal is the way forward for spotting although very pricey. Have you looked at the forward mounted pulsar, not sure if you could use that for spotting then attach to scope for the shot, would it hold zero been repeatedly taken on and off though?

I personally wouldn't touch anything from Nite Hunter, he doesn't have the best reputation.

The NS200 has its own illumination and works OK out to 200ish without anything extra.

The best spotter/add-on is probably an Envis or even better a PVS-14 but they are considerably more money.

My favourite is the N750, I know it is a dedicated scope but with a doubler and decent IR I don't think it can be beaten at it's price point

Nh 500 is not for spotting but good on top of a scope

Oh I see. Does the basic Nite Hunter Sniper Cam package come with any "built in/attached" IR at all? For arguments sake, say just buying a Sniper Cam unit for "Spotting"?

If not, does it come with any "mounting system" for say an IR torch for short range spotting to be fitted?

I may not be putting the right stuff in the search bar, but there just doesn't seem to be much in the way of "footage" or pictures of the NH Sniper Cam to get a close-up look???

I personally wouldn't touch anything from Nite Hunter, he doesn't have the best reputation.

The NS200 has its own illumination and works OK out to 200ish without anything extra.

The best spotter/add-on is probably an Envis or even better a PVS-14 but they are considerably more money.

My favourite is the N750, I know it is a dedicated scope but with a doubler and decent IR I don't think it can be beaten at it's price point

Is that from personal experience? If it is, what happened?

Don't get me wrong, I'm neither pro or anti Nite-Hunter, or Nite-Site.

Or though, I do "personally" think that Nite-Hunter clearly showed that Nite-Site could have provided a lot better product a lot cheaper for very little more money......

I've heard "gossip", and most of it 3rd-4th hand, and so on.... about the owner(s) of Nite Hunter being less than professional in his/their "behaviour". But, I've not heard or read anything negative about their products. In fact, quite to the contrary....

And to be objective, I've not heard anything bad as regards customer support either.

I "personally" think the Nite-Site 200 yards falls far short when you see the price tag! And the claimed range of 200 yards is open to many interpretations. At best, in perfect conditions you may see out to 200 yards. But in reality, I personally wouldn't shoot past 100 yards, as I like to know what is beyond the target for at least another 100+ yards for backstop.

I've heard great things about Nite-Site's customer service. And obviously that is important. But Nite-Site's customer "after" service should be good when you consider their prices.

I just want a good product at a reasonable price, with good after sales service.

atb

Jamie

I have just got back from Scott Countries demo and was impressed by the n750 to a greater extent than the Archer to be honest although in retrospect that could be because of the different illuminator on each unit. Don't get me wrong the Archer seemed a wonderfully solid piece of kit but the image from the n750 and nm800 was absolutely excellent. As I am just dipping my toe into NV I have gone for a photon with NM400 illuminator as I don't expect to shoot farther than 150 yards at night. I thought that although the image quality was better on the n750 the photon was not as far behind as the price difference would suggest. Just have to wait for the delivery now!!

I have just got back from Scott Countries demo and was impressed by the n750 to a greater extent than the Archer to be honest although in retrospect that could be because of the different illuminator on each unit. Don't get me wrong the Archer seemed a wonderfully solid piece of kit but the image from the n750 and nm800 was absolutely excellent. As I am just dipping my toe into NV I have gone for a photon with NM400 illuminator as I don't expect to shoot farther than 150 yards at night. I thought that although the image quality was better on the n750 the photon was not as far behind as the price difference would suggest. Just have to wait for the delivery now!!

Be good to here how you get on with the photon and nm400ir when you receive them. Are you using it for foxing or bunny bashing? As you say for the price they looked excellent when I got a look yesterday. Shame they couldn't organise a night demo toget a true likeness of all the kit they have to offer.

Out of curiosoty how were the demoing the stuff in daylight?

In a blackout room, that was the problem it was all of about 5yards long!

Although got to take the digi and thermal kit outside in daylight.

In a blackout room, that was the problem it was all of about 5yards long! What kind of test is that??

Although got to take the digi and thermal kit outside in daylight.

Should of tested it all at night with no moon at range then tried the various ir kit

That's exactly my point camo, no test whatsoever. Although I would imagine the thermal works just the same night or day? Blackout room was handy to see how much red "glow" each of the different ir illuminators produced though. Is anyone using the covert mn800ir? Opinions/review on it anybody?

Wonder what it would take to organise a propper night demo, somewhere where steel fox targets could be put out to a range of say 250yards. Like many I would want a bloody good go with the kit in field conditions before parting with any cash!

That's exactly my point camo, no test whatsoever. Although I would imagine the thermal works just the same night or day? Blackout room was handy to see how much red "glow" each of the different ir illuminators produced though. Is anyone using the covert mn800ir? Opinions/review on it anybody?

Wonder what it would take to organise a propper night demo, somewhere where steel fox targets could be put out to a range of say 250yards. Like many I would want a bloody good go with the kit in field conditions before parting with any cash!

What did you make of the Drone pro up along the N750??

Be good to here how you get on with the photon and nm400ir when you receive them. Are you using it for foxing or bunny bashing? As you say for the price they looked excellent when I got a look yesterday. Shame they couldn't organise a night demo toget a true likeness of all the kit they have to offer.

Both really, but mainly rabbits I suspect, would have been good to see how they performed at longer ranges. I thought for the price the Photon looked excellent value. When it arrives you are welcome to come and have a peer if you like. I suspect that at the price that lots of folks will have them soon

Hi I would go for nightmaster all the time and I think the Starlight archer is hard to beat. I Did look into the PVS14 as they are said to be clearer and lighter but was concerned about the legalities of getting hold of one.

Hi I would go for nightmaster all the time and I think the Starlight archer is hard to beat. I Did look into the PVS14 as they are said to be clearer and lighter but was concerned about the legalities of getting hold of one.

Thanks for the imput.

As far as IR goes it'll be the NM800.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive just got my Photon this morning, not tried it in the dark yet so I'll let you know.

Cheers

How did you get on with the Photon Andy?

Did you upgrade your ir for it?

atb

Jamie

I'm seeing a few Photons popping up here and there for sale within as little as a week in some cases! It makes you wonder why, when their supposed to be so good?? I appreciate some are just trying to profiteer on the lack of units situation...

Any news on your Photon andybrock?

I've been looking at the "Nite-Eye 500LR", and it seems very good value for money....

£490 including IR, giving illumination out to a stated 500 yards is some claim!

The YouTube clips seem very good. If genuine...

Anybody using one of these at the moment? Are they as good as they claim???

atb

Jamie

Archived