Magnum or Standard Primers

walkabout

I have been having a bit of trouble getting CCI Small Magnum Rifle Primers 450 for my 6.5x47 and 6-6.5x47.

I have tried some loads with both the 450's and the standard CCI small Rifle 400 with both calibres and different powders.

I have not seen hardly any difference in accuracy or velocity over the chrono.

I understand that the magnum primers maybe a bit thicker cap, so in a small magnum calibre it might help primer piercing but apart from that?

Nearly every good load data for 6.5x47L uses CCI 450's but CCI's data seems to suggest the same flame temp and burn?

Any thoughts on is it really necessary to use magnum primers?

I think some people use magnums because it gives them tighter velocity spreads but you would have to test it for yourself.

The CCI BR4 has the same thick cup as the magnum (but a milder flame) so they might be an alternative.

Rem 7.5 has a thick cup too and is pretty hot (but they don't call it a magnum). Could try those.

I wouldn't use the 400 personally. I feel it's really for lower pressure cartridges and even then I'd probably go for the tougher primers just as an extra safety precaution.

Magnum primers are generally a good idea if you're using ball powders in cold conditions.

Archived