AE 7.62

Sapper811

As i am eagerly awaiting delivery on an AE at the end of September i thought i may ask for any advice from the Ai users here

Rifle is coming with a plain 20 inch barrel in 7.62

Any advice on breaking in along with any good load data welcome.

Thanks

Great choice. My AE started this spring with a 24" barrel, but quickly got shortened to 20" - a great improvement in balance for positional work.

Mine shoots 1/3 moa with Lapua Brass (2.010" trim), Fed 210m, 45.6 gr of Varget, with either 155 scenar or A-Max at 2.850" (20 thou jump for scenars). Berger 155 VLD's shoot even better loaded around 75 thou off at 2.865". All my shooting requires use of the magazine and the max reliable COAL for AICS mag loading is about 2.875" - hence the jump on the Begers. These all now shoot around 2775 fps, 75 fps slower than when it was 24" - definatley worth the chop!

Interestingly I found my 7.62x51 AE reaches max pressure (& velocity) on loads a lot earlier (about 1.5 gr Varget) than any of my .308 TRG's did, which did surprise me. So be careful when working up a new load...

Hope that helps a bit.

Loads of conflicting info on breaking a barrel in on the net. I personally shot one round and cleaned for ten rounds then gave it a good clean every time I took it out. So far this year I haven't cleaned it with no drop in accuracy so far. When I do clean it I get hardly any copper out so I can't be doing it any harm.

Lapua brass, 155 scenars, varget and cci primers works well with mine as does N150 but I'm using a standard 26 inch barrel. All loaded to mag feed.

Good luck and enjoy.

Loads of conflicting info on breaking a barrel in on the net. I personally shot one round and cleaned for ten rounds then gave it a good clean every time I took it out. So far this year I haven't cleaned it with no drop in accuracy so far. When I do clean it I get hardly any copper out so I can't be doing it any harm.

Lapua brass, 155 scenars, varget and cci primers works well with mine as does N150 but I'm using a standard 26 inch barrel. All loaded to mag feed.

Good luck and enjoy.

As a matter of interest - what copper solvent do you use?

As a matter of interest - what copper solvent do you use?

Hoppe's 9 as a powder solvent and Butchs Bore Shine for the copper, I have used tetra copper solvent in the past.

I get the feeling your about to tell me they are not copper solvents and I'm kidding myself!!!

I have just binned my AI/AE 7,62x51 barrel after several thousand rounds of reloads with a stout load of N540, Fed 210M primers, Lap brass and 170 Lockbase or 155 Scenars. The 170 Lockbase was my preference. It shot incredibly well with Danish AMA as well.

The barrel was superb and I do miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived