scopes

accutip

hiya fello shooters im in the market for a new scope i fancy a zeiss 3-12x56 ht a s v or a diavari 6-24x56 or 72 could you please recomend it will be going on my sako 75 varmint in 22.250

If you are lamping foxes then 12x will be fine, however for sniping small targets then I would suggest a minimum of 16 to 20x mag be available. If you are intending to use add on NV then the lore mag range may be better. Personally I would go for 6-24x on a varmint rifle with a relatively fine reticle

If you are lamping foxes then 12x will be fine, however for sniping small targets then I would suggest a minimum of 16 to 20x mag be available. If you are intending to use add on NV then the lore mag range may be better. Personally I would go for 6-24x on a varmint rifle with a relatively fine reticle

hiya fello shooters im in the market for a new scope i fancy a zeiss 3-12x56 ht a s v or a diavari 6-24x56 or 72 could you please recomend it will be going on my sako 75 varmint in 22.250

The 22/250 sako is a capable 400y varmint rifle.A 24x variable would be fine,though a 32 would maybe be better for longer shots.A fine reticule too. But for eg fox at night,this mag is too much,and you need to "see" how the reticule works for you-illuminated is a complication but an option.It's unlikely that you need the last few minutes of light,which to me is where the expensive Euro scopes may have an advantage,at a price.Repeatable and reliable turrets would be a high priority on a 22/2650 varminter,and you may or not like 'varmint' reticules with elevation hatch marks.I like Nightforces(but too heavy),Leupold about right,don't feel I can blame Tascos! Can't see much use for very low mag on 22/250but 12x would do for most uses,if not ideal for long shots at small targets.

Gbal

The 22/250 sako is a capable 400y varmint rifle.A 24x variable would be fine,though a 32 would maybe be better for longer shots.A fine reticule too. But for eg fox at night,this mag is too much,and you need to "see" how the reticule works for you-illuminated is a complication but an option.It's unlikely that you need the last few minutes of light,which to me is where the expensive Euro scopes may have an advantage,at a price.Repeatable and reliable turrets would be a high priority on a 22/2650 varminter,and you may or not like 'varmint' reticules with elevation hatch marks.I like Nightforces(but too heavy),Leupold about right,don't feel I can blame Tascos! Can't see much use for very low mag on 22/250but 12x would do for most uses,if not ideal for long shots at small targets.

Gbal

I agree with Gbal, when shooting foxes i like an uncluttered reticle which you can quickly acquire a fox and rarely use more than 10 power, i think as a 22.250 is more of a point and shoot calibre then this would be my choice.

You won't go far wrong with either.....

I've got Zeiss 6-24x56's with the illuminated 63 reticle (tiny circles instead of the solid dot 43 mildot reticle) and a x72fl 'Hubble" with an illuminated 60 dot reticle. I tend to set them on 12 power and forget about it..... last light is definitely the best of any 'scopes I've ever owned. They're now up to it when spotting with my Swaro 8.5x42's. And I've shot foxes under moonlight with them.

The 63 ret doesn't get in the way when turned on at last light as it can be turned right down to a glimmer but the 60 is a nadge easier to see past although it draws your eye in a bit more.

's me

Fizz

B)

PM SENT.

• 4 weeks later...

I am torn between 2 scopes .... 1 been a zeiss 4-12X50 the other been the swarovski z3 with ballistic turret . I like the look of the swarovski but does it actually work the ballistic turret and how accurate is it . I shoot a .223 rem and use night vision but not as often as I lamp foxes from a vehicle so what would anyone's advice be as to which one to get . The swarovski is a good 400 quid dearer but I can afford that if it does what is intended to do but not if the zeiss would be better

For foxing would a ballistic turret see any use on a flat shooting calibre? Over the years I could count one hand the times I've had the opportunity to range and dial in for a fox while out lamping, having said that my scopes all have target turrets as they are used in daylight for varminting. Illuminated reticule is nice to have though. One thing not to forget is that you carnt crank up magnification if you don't have it in the first place.

So the zeiss is a better choice for me you think but what about the daytime outings they are very rare but I seem to think the swarovski would be of a better choice as I have the option there to use target turrets if I need them ... Like you say about the magnification if you don't have it you can't use it but surely that goes for the turret options too .... So hard as I'm not in a position to afford both it's one or the other

Archived