COAL in Rem

tisme

Hi

A friend has just bought a Rem 700 .308. last night we measured the COAL so we could make some ammo up with the idea that we would start at 20 thou off the lands. The trouble is this made the coal 2.917 and the 155 grain a max would have been only just in the case.

Is this normal?

Ta

Hi

A friend has just bought a Rem 700 .308. last night we measured the COAL so we could make some ammo up with the idea that we would start at 20 thou off the lands. The trouble is this made the coal 2.917 and the 155 grain a max would have been only just in the case.

Is this normal?

Ta

To answer the question you asked - yes, it is normal. The major manufacturers have to accept that the owner could use any bullet in a 308 from 123gn to 230 gn. and thus the rifle is throated to suit.

It's one of the compromises you have to accept when shooting a factory rifle. Might be a good idea to look at bullets designed to be 'jump-tolerant' if you want to develop an accurate load for it. The Berger Hybrids or their 175/185 Tactical OTM, for instance. I've jumped those as far as 150 thou' and they still go in the centre of the target!

Hello

I had probs after getting serious about the COAL

I went to the lenth of a standard 308 and played with powder weights

Just got my 308 shooting into the same hole at 100 yards

The recipe I have put on reloading Tuesday 3:9:13

Alan

Archived