Wylde by Wylde

Alan17hmr

I bought a nearly new Remy VSSF in17 fireball for a good price 18 months back as a Bucket list project

Time eventually showed me it was knackered with 8 inch of rifling missing in the middle of the barrel

Bugger

After a chat with Dave Wylde he advised me of a way forward

Blueprint the action, border barrel in 223 Wylde, bedding, trigger,decent mount, bolt fluted, knob, etc, etc

I haven't had chance to put a round through it yet, but I think it may well shoot a bit good

I didn't want a posh stock as I liked the one on it, it feel friendly to hold

Very many Thank You's to Dave Wylde for turning a knacker into a cracker

Ps

Loads of powder in at Countryman of Derby, just picked mine up

Alan xxxh

post-10979-0-80987100-1376917858_thumb.jpg

post-10979-0-22098100-1376917878_thumb.jpg

post-10979-0-94683100-1376917897_thumb.jpg

I have one of his rifles at the moment and can honestly say it is 'expletive' unbelievably good. Its an addictive rifle to shoot it is so damn consistent. Its actually that good im thinking of buying one which for those that know me is an unusual proposition.

If he will do me a mag fed repeater in 260 in less than 6 months?

What's the wildcat Dave??

Not sure if you are asking Dave Wylde or me?

Its not a wildcat Chris, its just pure coincidence that 223 Wylde is spelt exactly the same way as my last name [ which is quite a rare spelling of it ]

Bill Wylde came up with the .223 Wylde chamber in 1994.

It is merely a 5.56 NATO chamber with a .224 throat rather than a .227, which is what the military chamberings have.

It came about because the US Army team was going to shoot some matches in Canada using Canadian SS109 ball ammo.

He got a reamer made up with the tighter throat, and purely by luck came up with a chamber that seated an 80gn SMK at 2.465"...which just so happened to be the ideal length more or less.

So will this chambering give the 5.56 velocity then? As I've noticed that 5.56 seems to give far higher velocity's with the same bullets(according to reloading data).

I would think,yes,as the Wylde seems to be 'just' a longer throat,not a bigger chamber/case.What does 'the same velocity' refer to? And sorry,if i've misunderstood...

There are of course some variations in the powder loadings (both amount and burning rate etc) of different "5.56"-or any other cartridge-which change velocity,with the same bullet (though bullet design,not just weight,is another factor influencing retained velocity.

Chamber differences-as here-or "tight neck''eg have a small effect,but minor compared to powder and projectile characteristics.,and are generally precision/accuracy oriented-rather than velocity,or occasionally functioning (eg military,with variable spec ammo).

cf differences/not between 5.56 and 223 rem,7.62 and 308win-in general terms,they are pretty close!

Gbal

It's just the load data I have for various powders gives 2 sets of data for 223&5.56. The 5.56 loads with the same bullets are run at apparently far higher pressures and can add anything up to a grain or so more powder. If you see what I mean?

I guess what I'm saying is with this chambering can you load using 556 load data and pressures to attain these higher velocity's quoted in the published load data?

It's just the load data I have for various powders gives 2 sets of data for 223&5.56. The 5.56 loads with the same bullets are run at apparently far higher pressures and can add anything up to a grain or so more powder. If you see what I mean?

I guess what I'm saying is with this chambering can you load using 556 load data and pressures to attain these higher velocity's quoted in the published load data?

Ok Danny- I see the point-I think you need expert advice on this from those who use this (223 Wylde).

In general terms,I am very reluctant to go beyond published powder data-unless there is very very good updated data.For most applications,I just don't think another 100 fps is worth the extra barrel wear,let alone other potential costs.

And there are some complications too,with 5.56/223-case capacity for some 5.56 brass can differ from SAAMI 223 capacity-to be fair, there is no internal uniformity across all brass-so some makes/batches might be compressed,especially with heavy loads,and that means more presssure-to me,the queston remains-do I need it,are we talking about eg a 16 inch (rather than 17 inch) wind drift at 400 yards,and am I even shooting at that distance,and is another windage click the easier option?

Being able to take the 80g SMK would be much more interesting,mainly for extended range shooting-better BC usually has more to offer than sheer velocity.When more velocity is essential,the 22/250,or 22BR would come into play.Interesting,though.

However,others with more experience of the 5.56/223 heavy loadings,and 223 Wylde,will be better able to advise.

That will include getting the fired case out too,as well as the bullet,as man op can't quite match US gas guns,usually.

Gbal

Here's 1 example from the ramshot wildbore load data max charge in 223 will attain 2863fps with 75 grain hpbt hornady. And the max charge (which is 1.7 grains heavier) will attain 3039 with the same bullet. That is quite significant in my opinion.

Here's 1 example from the ramshot wildbore load data max charge in 223 will attain 2863fps with 75 grain hpbt hornady. And the max charge (which is 1.7 grains heavier) will attain 3039 with the same bullet. That is quite significant in my opinion.

Thanks-it's clearly faster,but then pressure is way up too ,8K? (as you mentioned). I imagine both are statistically 'significant',but not sure that I'd make the trade.Be interesting to get the the informed view(s) on this,and the chronographs-I doubt that pressure will be so readily measureable...

Gbal

There are no real differences between any of the .223 chambers.

All case body dimensions are roughly the same and any variances are to be found in the throat diameter and length and leade angle.

That said, they all perform the same and get the same velocities, so to say one chamber is better than another is a little incorrect.

I've got reamers in .223 Rem, .223 Wylde, .223 AR Match, 5.56 NATO and another from Accuracy Speaks that I use regularly.

I have seen "pressure" with all of them and also seen "no pressure" with all of them.

There's too many variables.

A decent chamber with a good finish and brass that is light with plenty of capacity are a far better way to go.

I've always used Winchester or LC (both weigh around 92gns) and have launched 80 JLK's in the past at 2955 fps!

All the non 5.56 chambers have a throat at bullet diameter of .224 and they can all group equally and shoot at the same velocities.

It's really not worth getting too hung up about

Here's a good comparison

http://ar15barrels.com/data/223-556.pdf

Archived