Early load test from new rifle

Brummy Mark

Sorry to those who may have seen this portion of my post in the rifles section, thought it was best to move it to handloading as that is what its about.

Remington 700 .223

Bartlein heavy varmint 22"

1.725 twist 5R

IsleofAnglesey-20130813-00299_zpsf9b93c5

All at 100yds, wind full, right to left, gust 12mph.

Above 75gr Amax, 22.8gn N140, COAL 2.378" and 40thou out of the lands, happy with this, good speed average 2720fps, virgin brass, no observable signs of pressure, may go with a little more powder ( have now loaded a few rounds with 22.9gn and 23gn to see what happens)

below left to right ,first 3 are 60gr v-max, the first one was best group but real slow , all at 30thou out of lands.

The far right top group is the 60gr Berger match varmints, I really want to get these working, tried them on the lands, 8thou out the lands as this group and 20thou out the lands on previous tests. Speed is up there in the 3070 to 3100fps range but so far not working, may try switching powder from h335. Now loaded some up with N130 I had, couldn't get hold of N133 or N135 locally.

The bottom row are all 75gr Amax ,COAL- touching lands, load going up in .1gn increments only 3 shot groups. As soon as I seated them 40thou out, job was done :) seating 60thou out the group opened up a little.

However I may load up a few more with 22.3gn as I have a feeling the wind and me pulling may have cause that bad group...basically was holding off 1 mildot on the right adjacent target dot

IsleofAnglesey-20130813-00301_zps5829867

So hopefully a small tweak to the 75gr A max will close the group a little... And hoping the powder change will get the Bergers shooting sweet. Its just so damn windy here at the moment, supposed to be back to dry weather and light winds next week - heres hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

hi mark ,

i had problems yesterday with winds 5-8 mph varying . bit annoying . i did manage a 5shot group at200 -1"inch .

out at 600 best group was 3 & quarter"inch only 3 shots tho !

my 5shot group was 6inches wide by 3tall so blaming wind . Good luck with load development ! Have you settled for a load yet ?

My maximum COAL to lands measure with comparator:

75gr Amax BT 22792

80gr Berger vld

Have been using VV N140, however cant seat bullets out enough, so cant get velocity with it,without pressure, very inconsistent, one day have a good combination of group size and primers cratering, then try the same load on a cooler day and no signs of pressure but bad group and speed to slow.

Was looking to switch to N135, however QL suggest the load i need will be very compressed load.

Cant stop feeling this is is due to freebore.

75gr Amax BT 22792

80gr Berger vld

Have been using VV N140, however cant seat bullets out enough, so cant get velocity with it,without pressure, very inconsistent, one day have a good combination of group size and primers cratering, then try the same load on a cooler day and no signs of pressure but bad group and speed to slow.

Was looking to switch to N135, however QL suggest the load i need will be very compressed load.

hi mark, for comparison my 223ackley is 2550, col.. just a thought , could you have a longer throat reamed to suit the long 75 ?? maybe .. cheers tim..

75gr Amax BT 22792

80gr Berger vld

hi mark, for comparison my 223ackley is 2550, col.. just a thought , could you have a longer throat reamed to suit the long 75 ?? maybe .. cheers tim..

75gr Amax BT 22792

80gr Berger vld

forget to say i tried N135 i found it quite dirty leaving sooty marks down the case and neck ! ..tim..

Archived