Sako TRG 22 trigger problems

Nick T

Gents,

Have any of you guys experienced problems adjusting the trigger pull weight and/or trigger removal?

I've followed the manual instructions to the letter to adjust the weight but the pull remains at the 3lb factory setting no matter what I try. I tried to remove the mechanism, again to the letter, & can not get the 5mm hex key into the bolt to loosen it up. It looks as if part of the mechanism is just blocking the access to the bolt.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Just managed to remove trigger mechanism by pulling the trigger to the rear to get the hex key into the bolt - just! Found a small amount of swarf/filings/crud in the mech so flushed with petrol. Trigger pull pressure very little improvement!

Nick, if you have one of the Jordanian rifles I believe they were loctited, my Jordanian. 338 was very tight, my civi .308 was a breeze.

To remove the trigger you need the bolt out and the safety forward as I recall you then remove the large Allen bolt between the trigger and the safety that attaches the trigger to the action. The blade is adjustable fore and aft so yours may be far enough forward to cover the bolt from what you describe.

If yours is loctited then you will need to be brave on leverage or if you can get in with the tip of a soldering iron you can heat the adjuster and soften the Loctite or just heat the end of your Allen key. Bearing in mind the trigger guard is plastic of course.....

NB. When you start adjusting reduce both the first stage AND second stage pull not just the second. If you get pulls too close together you can lock the unit up. If you are getting the adjustment screws to turn ignore the above rambling and look at the first stage vs second stage pulls it may be why you are feeling no change in overall pull.

I hate to say this but it sounds like you're adjusting the wrong Allen screw. The one for adjusting the second stage is just in front of the trigger. You don't need to remove the trigger to adjust it, albeit you have to remove it to adjust the first stage. If I've read your post incorrectly I apologise.

I take TC's point about possible lock-ups and I avoided this by adjusting 1 quarter of a turn at a time, firing a few rounds in between.

Many thanks guys.

TC, you're spot on about the Loctite, virtually every nut & bolt is heavily loctited into position on the rifle, I had to drill out (extremely carefully) one of the attachment screws for the front sling attachment - good tip using heat for Loctite - I live & learn. As you say the trigger when pulled to the rear allowed me to fully access the housing removal bolt.

Brillo, looks like you're right mate (I think RTFI applies to me in this case!) I wrongly assumed the smaller screw (same hex key) to be the 2nd stage adjustment & not, as it appears, a locking device for the 1st stage.

All the best

UPDATE-

Looks like back to square 1 on the trigger pull. The owners/maintenance manual describes & shows the trigger as the pre 2013 model which bears little resemblance to the trigger fitted to my TRG. Even Sako's website still shows the older manual. Best keep on looking

The image shows the 2 screws the front of which appears to be the locking screw. I've spoken to the importer who tells me that Sako have said these models are not adjustable for trigger pull due to numerous incidents where people have reduced the pull too far so as to damage the unit.

Rifle is a 2013 model

regards

post-11589-0-77478100-1375260272.jpg

The image shows the 2 screws the front of which appears to be the locking screw. I've spoken to the importer who tells me that Sako have said these models are not adjustable for trigger pull due to numerous incidents where people have reduced the pull too far so as to damage the unit.

Rifle is a 2013 model

regards

Who is telling you the trigger is not adjustable? Sounds BS to me.

From the current website spec.

TRIGGER MECHANISM Double stage trigger, pull adjustable 1 to 2.5kg (2 to 5 lbs)

Rifle is a 2013 model

regards

Nick. Thanks, but there's something up with your image. It's tiny. Regards JCS

Gents:

JCS, my missus always says that to me! but having tried again to upload a larger image - failed! so hopefully the link below shows what I mean - see thread No.42 from:

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/178332-sako-trg-2013-upgrades.html

TC & Tom, I agree sounds BS to me also. I have the exact manual from the web you posted & where it shows on page 12 the 1st stage adjustment with 1.5mm hex key inserted into the front of the trigger there is no such screw on mine, which is why I suspect the image is of the pre 2013 triggers (also the safety lever is a lot different).

Hopefully I'm just being thick again!

Thanks

Archived