March 5-40x56 FFP (for F class and tactical comps)

bob roberts

Hi all, I am presently planning a 6.5x47 multipurpose rifle and would greatly value your input regarding the scope. It’s a multi calibre DTA rifle so I can add larger calibres, when I am ready for them. :)

I’ve been planning this for a while and have looked through nearly all the top end rifle scopes on the market, the ones that impressed me most are Zeiss and March.

I’m planning on using the rifle for F class (open), McQueen comps (just for fun), bench rest (factory), tactical comps and eventually large game hunting in Alaska.

I think the March would be ideally suited, but is 40x enough for F class and benchrest? I think the lower mag would be ideal for the other comps and hunting.

03.jpg

It seems like enough. But I thought it best to ask. :)

March 5-40x56 FFP illuminated:

5x40-moa-rets.jpg

Ben.

I was shooting with Gary at Bisley last Sunday and he had one mounted on his F class rifle.

The scopes optics was spot on and the reticules dot did not seem overly large at 1000 yards on our F class target.

At 40 power the dot is around the size of an NP 2DD or may be just a smidge bigger but perfectly usable.

For McQueens and tactical it will be perfect.

I'm not sure possibly it would be the best choice for bench rest but for a bit of fun it would be fine.

Cheers

Dave

Hi all, I am presently planning a 6.5x47 multipurpose rifle and would greatly value your input regarding the scope. It’s a multi calibre DTA rifle so I can add larger calibres, when I am ready for them. :)

I’ve been planning this for a while and have looked through nearly all the top end rifle scopes on the market, the ones that impressed me most are Zeiss and March.

I’m planning on using the rifle for F class (open), McQueen comps (just for fun), bench rest (factory), tactical comps and eventually large game hunting in Alaska.

I think the March would be ideally suited, but is 40x enough for F class and benchrest? I think the lower mag would be ideal for the other comps and hunting.

03.jpg

It seems like enough. But I thought it best to ask. :)

March 5-40x56 FFP illuminated:

5x40-moa-rets.jpg

Ben.

Ben,

40 power is more than adequate for F Class and benchrest - I use an 8-32 for both disciplines.

Hi Ben are you going for a Covert or the SRS model?

If the covert, remember how short it is when you are choosing the scope.

the March 2.5x25 fits great on the covert

If its the SRS the you have loads of choice.

Ewen

Hi, I’m going for the SRS model. I’ve already spoken to Tim about it and he has sent me a quote. :)

Ben,

40 power is more than adequate for F Class and benchrest - I use an 8-32 for both disciplines.

Thanks Vince. :)

At 40x it was possible to see the bullet holes / patches with John’s March (10x60x52) at 600 yards. Do you think 40x is enough to do the same at 1000 yards?

It’s probably not very useful, but I quite like the idea of knowing my score and necessary wind correction before the target goes down to be marked. ^_^:)

40 power is more than adequate for F Class.

Like Vince the most I use is 32x

Thanks Vince. :)

At 40x it was possible to see the bullet holes / patches with John’s March (10x60x52) at 600 yards. Do you think 40x is enough to do the same at 1000 yards?

It’s probably not very useful, but I quite like the idea of knowing my score and necessary wind correction before the target goes down to be marked. ^_^:)

There is no advantage in seeing bullet-holes at 1000 yards in benchrest - it will only slow down your rate of fire - the idea is to get five shots off as quick as you can - 15 secs. No time to stare at the target! Same at 600 as well really.

For F Class, obviously each shot is marked with a spotter.

There is no advantage in seeing bullet-holes at 1000 yards in benchrest - it will only slow down your rate of fire - the idea is to get five shots off as quick as you can - 15 secs. No time to stare at the target! Same at 600 as well really.

For F Class, obviously each shot is marked with a spotter.

I know, but it was awfully nice too! ^_^

Especially after a Quigley comp. :blush:

This fellow is using the 80x model at 1000 yards, the sight picture looks similar to what I saw through the other one when looking at the 600 yard target at 40x zoom.

:)

For McQueens and tactical it will be perfect.

Dave

Thank you. My only worry now is that I’ll not have many excuses whilst I learn. :blush:

I can just imagine my shooting chums saying things like:

that’s a 1 …..

in exceedingly high definition … :P

spent all afternoon loading that on a Sartorius lab scales - that made sense :huh:

Well at least with it being a ffp scope you can measure just how wrong your wind call was :rolleyes:

Etc :blush:

Never mind though, I’m sure it will all be jolly good fun. :)

Hi Bob,

have you shot the DTA yet?

i am considering a rifle of the same spec,SRS A1 with monopod etc,

was wondering what they are like to shoot?

same ball park price wise as a fully tricked AI. any one got any views? :)

Hi Bob,

have you shot the DTA yet?

i am considering a rifle of the same spec,SRS A1 with monopod etc,

was wondering what they are like to shoot?

same ball park price wise as a fully tricked AI. any one got any views? :)

Not yet, there is a fellow at my club that has one but I’ve not had the chance to ask him. :blush:

He always does very well with it in .338, usually just a few points behind the F open competitors with 7mm. :)

I’m going to see if I can have a go of one of Ewen’s ones shortly.

I’ve not looked at an AI, the main selling point to me is that I should be able to do quite a few disciplines with it, but with only one March scope.

Putting comparable optics on:

1000y bench rest rifle 7mm,

600y bench rest 6.5x47,

100y bench rest 22br,

Short range / light weight tactical 6.5x47,

Long range tactical .338,

Would be a rather big ask, in the short term! :blush:

The Walther barrels are a lot come a barrel change, but one of them did get a 1.21 group and hit the fly three times on the fly shoot! ^_^:)

Remember import duties when comparing to AI. The DTA is going to cost quite a bit more. :(

Archived