Building a rilfe in a AI AX stock

ANDY T

Hi

I am looking to build a tactical rifle using the AI AX stock what would you say is best action,barrel, and trigger that would go with the AX stock.

This rifle will be used in the three position shooting with max barrel length of 20" cal will be 308 or 260 cal

20" .260 ? Really ? May as well stick to a .308 at that length, a 260 needs the tube length to make the most of it

While it is true that both would give more fps from a longer barrel,if it's to be used in '3 position' shooting to max 600 yards,the loss won't be critical-many 300 metre CISM rifles were quite short barreled(my SM was 20")and 308 was very popular,though probably 6BR is prefered now.Enough flatness AND reduced recoil matter rather more than absolute velocity.As ever,the use should be the main variable in choice-tha's not to say 308 is better than 260-though if shooting for score,the 308 will clip more score rings,that the 260 would just miss-that becomes a factor-one that gave the 30BR a priviledged position in 300 yards score shooting-every point counts! It (30BR)has no advantage over the 6BR if score isn't important-et alone if long distance is the game. Otherwise,260 probably edges 308 these days as a tactical etc round (consider the popularity of the 260's near ballistic twin,the 6.5x47L).Close call all round-just depends on specific uses.

Gbal

My friend has just wiped the floor with everything else at the Imperial CSR meeting. He took 12 medals home....with a 20" barrelled AX in .260.

Any rem my , or remmy clone action will fit the stock Andy.

20" .260 ? Really ? May as well stick to a .308 at that length, a 260 needs the tube length to make the most of it

Yes really

One of my club member Ady has just won this years bisley particles shoot taking 6 golds and 3 or 4 slivers. He took the overall trophy for best shoot and i believe he got the 7 best score of all thine, so yes 260cal

My friend has just wiped the floor with everything else at the Imperial CSR meeting. He took 12 medals home....with a 20" barrelled AX in .260.

Any rem my , or remmy clone action will fit the stock Andy.

Hi

Do you know how AI bond the action to the chassis. What is the model remmy action they are using on the 308 AX stocks.

Andy

Hi

Do you know how AI bond the action to the chassis. What is the model remmy action they are using on the 308 AX stocks.

Andy

Andy,

AI make an AX rifle utilising their own action. They also produce an AX chassis for use with any remmington 700 or custom remmington 700 foot print action.

The chap you are referring to who won the imperial was using a true AI Ax. Circa £5k new.

Hope that clears it up a little.

I have both here if you wanted side by side photo comparison.

One is for a build, the real AX is my own..

Hi

Andy

The closest you an get to an AI action without it being an AI is to use a Badger M2008 action which I believe is based off the AI. I've just bought Danpd's AX and had it rebarrelled to .260 (26"). So far with minimal load work up it's been impressive to say the least.

Yes really

One of my club member Ady has just won this years bisley particles shoot taking 6 golds and 3 or 4 slivers. He took the overall trophy for best shoot and i believe he got the 7 best score of all thine, so yes 260cal

Actually Ady was beaten by 13pts for overall top score by an AR15 in .223 shooting 62gn surplus ball ammo.

It's not always what you shoot, it's how you shoot it ;)

IF it was me , and you are talking of a Chassis stock , then it would be a Defiance action , as they have integral lug & rail , & bottom cut to take the double/stack & feed AW magazine ( and not the AICS mags ) .

Later Chris

Archived