.308 Speedmaster

henryo

I looked at SGC rifles and although they have some good design features I was not so impressed with the build quality. This is why I went for the LMT. This of course may have just been the couple I looked at! Mark is the expert on this kind of thing but I am using federal nickel plated brass in mine, have an extension on the charging handle and use fairly slow loads. I suspect I could do with different ejector springs.

I think it unlikely that I would be able to get another barrel but I expect some enterprising chap could knock one up in another calibre if required.

It's basically a larger framed AR15. Problems that do occur even with LMTs, AR10s, DPMS 308s and SGC .308 Speedmasters is that there is no common standard for the .308 variants so parts interchangeability is not always easy. Not a problem if your rifle does everything you want it to do well straight out of the box, unfortunately it's rarely the case so you might want to change the odd part or two. The interchangeability of parts would be one issue I would want to be clear on before shelling out over £3k. Barrels can be change quite easily if standard barrel extensions are used, but what is standard is the problem. In .260 these would make great semi-precision guns but they won't replace a bolt gun, their only attraction in 'big' calibres is the semi-auto function and unfortunately these have been castrated.

Archived