AI Barrel

Ronin

To the guys with an AI rifle (AE of any MK, AW and AX)

Would you remove your bolt and tell me what you see at the rear of the barrel

Those with multi barrels may find this easier..

Just wondering what you see.

Looking at description maybe as follows:

"See rear of chamber and end of barrel tenon, tenon flat - no recess visible, rear of chamber has 5mm or so chamfer"

Tell me what you see....

How many barrels do you want to know about Andy? I'm doing Sporting Services threading work now. Are you wondering why some have the snow groove and some just have the chamfer?

a hole :D

I can have a look at a spare 308 barrel I have at the weekend.....I can also find the age of that one out. Interesting question if there is any difference between Border and LW barrels in that respect.

I pulled the barrel on my AX yesterday to measure up the action and barrel tenon as I'm shortly going to be replacing the 308 barrel with a new custom in 6.5 mm

When I pulled the barrel I saw a cylindrical groove cut in a larger diameter around the chamber - couldn't work out what its purpose was.

Snow groove - maybe, but not sure - thought it was initially a mistake.....

I pulled the barrel on my AX yesterday to measure up the action and barrel tenon as I'm shortly going to be replacing the 308 barrel with a new custom in 6.5 mm

When I pulled the barrel I saw a cylindrical groove cut in a larger diameter around the chamber - couldn't work out what its purpose was.

Snow groove - maybe, but not sure - thought it was initially a mistake.....

Just to show my ignorance, but willingness to learn, what is a snow groove?

The groove that you see on AI factory barrels (pre-2004) was referred to as either a ice groove, dirt groove or snow groove. It was an area that dirt, ice or snow would be forced into instead of the barrel at the request of a military customer many years ago. This feature is no longer standard on AI barrels, (unless military customers request it), but some retail distributors who offer customized barrels in different calibres etc. have copied that feature into todays production of their barrels.

The groove that you see on AI factory barrels (pre-2004) was referred to as either a ice groove, dirt groove or snow groove. It was an area that dirt, ice or snow would be forced into instead of the barrel at the request of a military customer many years ago. This feature is no longer standard on AI barrels, (unless military customers request it), but some retail distributors who offer customized barrels in different calibres etc. have copied that feature into todays production of their barrels.

The lady knows her stuff ;)

Archived