I am away to buy a set of Swarovski bino's and was looking for recommendations on what model is best. Most of my land is open ground, so looking for good clarity at long range. So out of these models what would you recommend ?.

SLC 8x30 WB

SLC 7x42 B

SLC 10x42 WB

SLC 7x50 B

SLC 8x50 B

SLC 10x50 WB

SLC 8x56 B

SLC 15x56 WB

Thanks

Adam

SLC 7x42B. I have used these for 14yrs now and they are still the best, I have others and have had different ones but stick with these every time. The military , particularly the Navy reckon 7 power is the best all round, particularly they are easy to hold and keep steady and with this quality of bino the 42 objectives give a clear image in all lights, with 7 power as well you get good depth of field too ( the amount of what you see through them that is in focus), with higher mag less and less of the image is in focus and you are forever re focussing, so the military have it right, as you would expect.

Redfox

good clarity at long range.

7 power is too little magnification in my opinion...and although redfox is right that 7x42 is the Brit mil magnification, bear in mind that, as with all things military, it is a compromise; one of the things you get made to memorise along the way is 'uses of the binocular' ...on the list is 'aid to night vision' (if you've never looked through your binos at night you won't realise that you actually can see better than with the naked eye!). To my mind, a 6mm exit pupil isn't top of the list for long range viewing requirements :unsure:

Depends on how concerned you are with dusk (rather than night!) performance. On the hill (on foot) I ended up with 10x42, having started off with 8x. With 8x I just wasn't seeing what the stalkers were seeing. Magnification was the issue, and 10x sorted it. ..but with 10x42 you'll lose resolution about 10-15mins before a similar but lower powered bino at dusk. Depends how important that is. If it is, (42mm is a weight saving compromise over 50mm...you trade a little bit of dusk performance for a lighter bino) go 10x50

If you're vehicle borne, or static, I'd go for all the magnification you can get. 15x56 sounds like a cool number :blink:

Thanks for the replys,

My use will be 100% stalking, mostly around the edges of wood/feilds etc etc 99% of wich is at dawn/dusk.

Am i right in saying that for more light gathering (ie dawn dusk conditions) you go for a bigger objective lens ?.

I was under the impression that a big magnification makes it hard to hold steady ?.

Thanks

Adam

Guest dead-eyed-duck

I've got a pair of Swaro 10 x 42 EL that I bought primarily for foxing at night.

Brilliant, but....... they are heavy.

I've been trying to convince myself that I have the money for a pair of 8 x 32 that I reckon would be the ideal compromise between performance and weight.

I've been trying to find out what practical difference there is between 8 x 32EL and 8 x 30SLC's

Don

I`d choose the 10x42`s

A good all rounder suitable for the hill and a not bad if you ever do get into woodland

It is possible to have too much magnification which becomes useless in low light as brown dog has touched on

I've got a pair of Swaro 10 x 42 EL that I bought primarily for foxing at night.

Brilliant, but....... they are heavy.

I've been trying to convince myself that I have the money for a pair of 8 x 32 that I reckon would be the ideal compromise between performance and weight.

I've been trying to find out what practical difference there is between 8 x 32EL and 8 x 30SLC's

Don

As i understand it the difference is the weight. The slc being lighter.

Adam

Guest dead-eyed-duck
As i understand it the difference is the weight. The slc being lighter.

Adam

This puzzles me because the EL's are much more expensive and heavier than the SLC's - so how can the SLC's offer the same performance at a lighter weight and lower price than the EL's?

I would have thought that the EL's have more lenses - hence the better performance and heavier weight (and price!) than the SLC's.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated before I part with my hard earned dosh.

Don

THe ELs as wsm says are lighter and to get the same performance as the SLC they cost more. As i said before with higher mag it is much harder to hold steady and the amount of what you see that is clearly in focus is greatly reduced, unlike in a rifle scope you do not need the 50mm objective as the level of magnification is less. On the hill I use a lightweight pair os 8x20 and a swarovski telescope with 20 -60 mag, the binos dont get any where near that for seeing. 10 power for 99% of stalking is too high and that is what Adams stated use was.

Redfox

Guys i really appreciate all the info, Just dont want to get this desicion wrong :blink: .

So would i be safe with an 8 x 50 for light gathering at dusk ?. :unsure:

Ads

I have the 7x42 and some time when stalking at first light you can see deer but just aint got enough to see what they are especially if their in thick woodland, it dosent matter so much in the evening as your loosing light and you probably wouldnt see it through the scope,

I lent me mates 8x50 to compare and you really can see the difference , there is the wieght and size factor but I could live with it.

You must be getting old Nemasis and the pimps are going dim :unsure: I agree if the weight isnt an issue go for the 50s. I would also say that the later ones than mine, about 2001-2 have new coatings on which pass more light and will be better.

Redfox

I think i am swaying towards the 8 x 50.

In your opening post you said:

Most of my land is open ground, so looking for good clarity at long range.

I think you're going to have to define 'long range' for us. I understand that you have a dusk requirement, but if you really do mean several 100s of metres; then 7 or 8 power will not be enough. Those are woodland choices (in the wood!); not open ground choices.

Try the swarovski online product comparator and advisor....

In your opening post you said:

I think you're going to have to define 'long range' for us. I understand that you have a dusk requirement, but if you really do mean several 100s of metres; then 7 or 8 power will not be enough. Those are woodland choices (in the wood!); not open ground choices.

Try the swarovski online product comparator and advisor....

You are right, i am sending out mixed messages :P .

Im after some bin's for mostly evening stalks in open ground. By open ground i mean along the edges of woodland and down into deep gulley's. I am looking for the best light gathering i can get.

When i said long ranges i mean out to 500 yards but to be honest light gathering is priority. My stalking is being hindered with the Bins i have as im not managing to spot them when the light is going.

Hope this makes sence ?. :blink::lol:

Ads

I am looking for the best light gathering i can get.

When i said long ranges i mean out to 500 yards but to be honest light gathering is priority.

That'll be 8x56 then :blink:

Try http://www.swarovskioptik.com/index.php?c=...919267&css=

You're looking for the biggest possible exit pupil and highest possible twilight factor.

have been out stalking this morning with a friend on his ground were out befor first light i was using my 8.5x42el's my mate his zeiss b/gat 8x56 as first light approached there was next to no difference between the two the swaro's being lighter

p.s dont know if this matters but the el's must be the most comfortable bino's iv'e ever handled and very easy to use one handed

Currently I'm using 10X42 Leica Geovids which are first class.

However, I still have my old 10X50 SLCs which I use now and again

if I'm out purely watching wildlife. The exit pupil is 5mm but the magnification boosts

the Twilight factor to 22.4

I find they work very well in low light and with the addition of the small 2X converter

I also have a 20X50 spotting scope at hand if I need to stretch it out a bit.

Binos have to be tried by the individual as some suit better than others.

I’ve never found the weight an issue as I use a shoulder harness and I can hold

them just as steady as any of the other models.

What ever you go for I’m sure you will be very happy with them and they will last a lifetime.

Regards

Steve

Ps

I friend of mine left a pair of 8X42 Swarovski’s on the hill at Kerloch, never did find them again so they are most likely still out there somewhere.

You are right, i am sending out mixed messages :D .

Im after some bin's for mostly evening stalks in open ground. By open ground i mean along the edges of woodland and down into deep gulley's. I am looking for the best light gathering i can get.

When i said long ranges i mean out to 500 yards but to be honest light gathering is priority. My stalking is being hindered with the Bins i have as im not managing to spot them when the light is going.

Hope this makes sence ?. :angry::lol:

Ads

What scope do you have on your rifle??? Not being funny but what use will it be if you can see the deer in your bin's, then when you come to ake the shot you can't see as clearly through your scope :angry::D;)

• 1 year later...

i have the 8.5x42el's Swarovski after trying my mates 10x50el but find the 8.5x42el better in some ways,far lighter and just as clear very good for dusk & dawn work ..money well spent ..

Interesting comment Kip, I have exactly the opposite problem which I suppose is in some ways preferable i.e. better scope.

As kip said the kit has to be complimentary for it to work.

My choice would be ? x 42 probably 10 mag, best compromise.

YOU need to view both to decide really.

I have the basic 8x30 swarovski's and most of the time they are superb and do all that i want. But my mate Allan has a pair of the 8.5x42 el's and they are truly amazing. He can see things clearly before me in a morning and after me in the evening. They are the best I have ever tried, light to carry too.

I was saving up for a pair but have decided now to go for the Zeiss Rangefinding Bino's as I do not want to carry two bit's of kit, if I can carry just the one. The less for me to carry and lose the better :lol:

Atb, ft

Guest martin

I tried all of the above when buying mine some 6 ish years ago,and,I went for the 10 x 42 EL's ,and,I think I went with the right ones,they are excellent.Nemasis tried them when he came up,ask him what he thought of them.............Martin.

Archived