Is it always best to steer clear of cheap old rifles??

I think £300 is the max as want a cheap little .22lr as well and £150 seems to get something in that dept.

Factor in £100 for the cabinet, £50 for FAC application £ 40 for NGO membership, and another £50-£75 for ammo to get started.

Luckily I have the scopes covered already as that would have meant another £200

So all in all approx £550 to get set up with two rifles and everything else. In theory that is.

I must say a big thanks to everyone on here, I have picked up more info and advice in 24 hours and 5 posts on here than the hours I have spent trawling through pages on the net.

Experience first hand simply cannot be beaten for advice.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Brno Hornets, the Fox was a total POS compared to the early 465s.

I mistakenly bought a Fox and dumped it in rapid fashion. The bolt slop was unbelievable.

My gunsmith had an early 465 and this was a planet better than the Fox

Chris-NZ

those two should get you started nicely,everybody starts some where,have you any shooting experience not trying to put you off just thinking it may be better cutting your teeth on the 22lr first,have you got the right land for the 223,only reason i ask is when i started on the fac road my firearms officer at the time made me work my way up to a 223 over several years,my son on the other hand got his 17 hmr and a 223 by the time he was 18.now ive typed all that not sure what im trying to say :D

good luck have fun it can be a rocky road and an expensive one too if you let it

They look pretty good but would need a thorough checking over.

Funnily enough, that was my exact pairing as my first rifles.

I bought a 12 year old Brno .22 with scope, bipod and mod for £150 from Greenfields in Salisbury and a new cz 527 for about £420 which my boss bought me.

Both will be a great intro and whatever you do, do not sell that first .22 because you'll miss it forever ;)

I sold mine for a fancier stainless one and although probably as accurate, it just isn't the same as the old one lol

I had thought about that but most rifles do seem to be older

Brno fox

Cz527

Seen something I hadn't seen called a weirach hw60

All under £300

Any one see any benefits either for the .222 or the .223 or is ther no real difference.

These are another cracking gun pronounced vinerack my mate has one (been trying to buy it for years).

Try to get something thats threaded as it will cost you £60+ to get it done if not.

If you haven't done the paperwork put a mod down for each even if you only get one and use it on both rifles. you can use that "slot" to do a one for one later.

I've not really shot since aged 13, got back into since retiring from football as my knee has had it

Took my son to a local air rifle club (he's 8 and has a little crosman ratcatcher as its all he can hold) since then I have caughte bug again and rather than be the adult supervisor I shoot there myself

Just picked up a coupe of permissions totalling 45-50 acres covered in rabbits and with the odd fox that have previously had firearms used on them, from what I was told the guy previously used a .22lr and 22-250.

I am a reasonable shot and will be getting some practice in with my old man who shoots an RPA interceptor 6mm Br at 500 yards and he has just had a .243 AI arrive from - with a tikka action, my brother also shoots the same rifle as my dad as he had one first,he is on here as caerhays sniper, hence my name.

dout very much you'll get granted a 223 on 40/50 acres even more so with your first fac,can your dad get you a letter for some of his permissions like i said it can be a rocky road but you will get there.have a word with your firearms officer and get your fac application put in then just sit back as it can take awhile

I have the forms all filled out so may hang fire until I have a few more permissions,

Have approached a farmer who is the old mans mate from way back who has about 250 acres

So my amended form would have .22lr and moderator and a .223 and a moderator

My brother does all the reloading

Don't know what gear they have between them

I don't mind purchasing ammo as will only be throwing less than a hundred rounds down the centre fire maximum

Scouring the websites now for the right type of gun

I use guntrader and gunstar

Any others to check??

Are there any factory rounds people recommend in .22lr or .222 or .223

.. another cracking gun pronounced vinerack .

To be pedantic and nit-picking, spelling is Weirauch and it's pronounced "vi-rauk'.

An equally abused Austrian make is Voere which is correctly pronounced "FUR-ah"

Chris-NZ

Back to cheap .22LRs, I scored a nice old BSA Supersport Five for ~120 quid. Stock needed refinishing but easy.

BSA-Refinished_zps598889cc.jpg

She's a shooter too.

BSA-22Nov12.jpg

Scored a nice Model1 Brno a few years back and that's a shooter as well:

GoodCombo.jpg

As has been said, it takes some active abuse to wear a .22LR out

Chris-NZ

I have seen various old BSA .22lr's available for less than £100

having read up the supersport 5 seems to be the last produced but these are 50 year old rifles

are any of them any good or is there the odd decent one about??

for the 22 go to your local rfd and buy a few different makes if you can then see which shoots best. same applies for factory CF

I would get a reload sorted you'll get the best out of your gun.

As for reloading being cheaper I beg to differ PPU is cheaper than I can load for. And I use more rounds than I would if I went to buy them.

don't let that put you off a good reload is worth every penny.

Yes on the 22+ mod 222/223+ mod reason for mod is hearing protection.

If the fifty acres is approved already for 222/223 you will be able to shoot there. really depends on the lie of the land if its safe or not study maps google earth walk round if you can show you know where is safe and where isn't it may go a long way to help.

.. another cracking gun pronounced vinerack .

To be pedantic and nit-picking, spelling is Weirauch and it's pronounced "vi-rauk'.

An equally abused Austrian make is Voere which is correctly pronounced "FUR-ah"

Chris-NZ

There's alus one :P be as pedantic as you like but there's no nits ere

I think my Brno is as old or older than me (and in better shape) takes a lot to ruin a 22. I had a BSA sportsman 15 I think tube mag an old martini action one in fact I doubt any have been less than 20 years old. the only dud was an AK47 alike thing

Dead right, those Supersport mags rate with rocking horse do-dos but I scored a spare one amongst my deceased gunsmith's junk.

Gotta win some of 'em..

seems like they do have there uses

the supersport 5 seems to be the slightly younger compared to the

sportsman 5 and sportsman 15 and the 3 shot version

been told to steer clear of the tube feed 15 model though and stick to a mag feed

I've had two under barrel tube fed 22's the bsa and a winchester both would feed whatever I put in. The draw back was taking the mod off to reload. I also had a browning takedown rifle can't remember the name fed from the butt it liked rounded nose bullets if taken apart it took five or six shots to come back to zero.

I now have a Brno No2 and a Ruger 1022 paid £75 for the Brno + £40 to thread it, and £50 for the 1022, The 1022 was a trade in a mate took in covered in insulation tape I cleaned it up shortened and threaded the barrel added a pillar and bedded it. It's now spot on as a truck gun.

There are many 22's out there a friend has a browning T bolt (the first model) that shoots well. Main thing is to look for abuse a few dings in the woodwork is usually honest use.

If buying private take a cleaning rod and jag with you if its not clean ask them to if they say they've no kit offer yours you know to walk away if refused. make sure safety works pull trigger then take safety off it should not fire (mine does due to overzealous smoothing out the ramp to reduce noise) Bump test it. If you can take someone with you if you're not sure.

There are many little used older rifles out there my 1022 when stripped to clean it the anodizing was barely worn.

thanks sonic,

wish i'd registered on here sooner

was very disappointed when i went to sainsburys the only shooting magazine they stocked was the Shooting times, out of the 500 they had in all areas

I've had two under barrel tube fed 22's the bsa and a winchester both would feed whatever I put in. The draw back was taking the mod off to reload. I also had a browning takedown rifle can't remember the name fed from the butt it liked rounded nose bullets if taken apart it took five or six shots to come back to zero.

I now have a Brno No2 and a Ruger 1022 paid £75 for the Brno + £40 to thread it, and £50 for the 1022, The 1022 was a trade in a mate took in covered in insulation tape I cleaned it up shortened and threaded the barrel added a pillar and bedded it. It's now spot on as a truck gun.

There are many 22's out there a friend has a browning T bolt (the first model) that shoots well. Main thing is to look for abuse a few dings in the woodwork is usually honest use.

If buying private take a cleaning rod and jag with you if its not clean ask them to if they say they've no kit offer yours you know to walk away if refused. make sure safety works pull trigger then take safety off it should not fire (mine does due to overzealous smoothing out the ramp to reduce noise) Bump test it. If you can take someone with you if you're not sure.

There are many little used older rifles out there my 1022 when stripped to clean it the anodizing was barely worn.

Sort that pronto if I were you, its not safe to have a gun like that in use.

One other thing to look for in a rimfire is a bulged barrel from it being fired with water or debris in the barrel. Look along the edge of the barrel with frontal light and any bulge should be obvious. They tend to be close to the muzzle though not always

Archived