Bedding a Barnard P Action in a Laminated Wood Stock

Bianchi

Hi,

Recently joined UKV and am about to embark on my first F-Class rifle build project. Hope to shoot Open class with a straight .284 soon after launching my "career" with a 6.5x47 Lapua. After tinkering around with my newly arrived Barnard P action & trigger, thought that it would be worthwhile to ask around regarding the various methods to install and bed this action in a laminated wood stock.

After using the search function, I was able to review some newly bedded stocks and noted that some only utilize two of the available three action screws. Is this common practice or is the jury out on this one? Furthermore, is use of the available slot for a recoil lug still mandatory if all three action screws would be used?

Another thought was to manufacture and install a male recoil lug (as commonly used for Anschütz target rifles) for the available slot, but as a single unit on a large (flat) diameter base (milled off on the sides) prior to bedding the action. It could also be large enough to guide the pillars for one or both of the adjacent action screws.

There must be a load of experience lurking out there. Look forward to picking up a few crumbs :) .

Thanks and "Hold Centre".

Fully bedded shafts and rogering spud? This is getting good!

On three screw actions most people just nip up the centre screw as it is easier to stress the action with 3 points of contact than 2.

In terms of a recoil lug, then I would look at fabricating an integral pillar/ lug. Whatever you end up doing make sure you only have one recoil bearing surface otherwise the action harmonics will be inconsistent from shot to shot.

Ive built a few rifles using P Actions - you've four choices really;

• fabricate a lug to fit in the milled slot at the base of the action, which is fixed in place by the 4mm allen screw in the slot.

• buy the Barnard V block assembly and fit this into the stock

• Use a remington type (sandwich) lug between action and barrel

• you can also use a spigot in the centre (I think) action screw hole as it has a slightly larger hole to accept this

Fabricating the lug isn't a major job so long as you've got access to milling machine - I made a round lug with a slight taper which worked very well on a couple of rifles.

The V Block is simple to fit, relatively cheap and also works well.

Rem style lug - again a simple fix that works, some people don't like sandwich lugs, but if fitted correctly and if you dont intend to use it as a switch barrel (youd be better with a pinned lug system) then again it works.

Spigot also recommended by Barnard but I haven't tried this

Bedding - fix the pillars (if you dont use V Block) to the action then bed as one unit, that way pillars will be perfect fit as will the bedding and there will be no tortional strain when using all three action bolts.

Barnard designed the action to have three action securing bolts so use em - tighten with good quality inch / lb torque wrench all same and there wont be any issues.

Thats my 2p worth...

We use a lot of Barnard P actions in rifle builds, we tend to use a central recoil spigot, fitted to the centre screw hole, in a bedding block, it makes the job much easier and works very well. We have bedding blocks avail on the shelf if you need one.

Built a lot of accurate rifles doing it this way

The bedding block makes it quite flexible, one can change barrels or even an action if needs be without a big fuss.

I fitted a few of Mik's P bed blocks, in composite stocks though.

edi

• 2 weeks later...

We use a lot of Barnard P actions in rifle builds, we tend to use a central recoil spigot, fitted to the centre screw hole, in a bedding block, it makes the job much easier and works very well. We have bedding blocks avail on the shelf if you need one.

Built a lot of accurate rifles doing it this way

Hi Mik,

Is there a V-block for the SM action?

Archived