First go at some long range (for me) rabbits

Wiltshire Boy

So I finally made some time on sunday to get out with my .223 (built by Baldie last year) for some proper long range (for me) bunnies, I have previously spent my rifle time on Deer, Foxes and targets (in that order). Conditions were fantastic, not a breath of wind and clear skies.

Got a lift out to where I know there are a lot of Rabbits on some chalk downs and set up on top of one of the downs.

First Rabbit appears, range finder indicates 260 yards so I dial that in and let fly, miss over the top (b*gger) dial down 1/2 a minute, second go, clean head shot. 2nd bunnie at 280 miss again over the top... suddenly the penny drops I zero 1/2 min over duurrrh.

Any way next 3 shots are same sort of range all clean headshots. As the light started to go one rabbit makes an appearance from the far hedge of the field in the bottom of the valley, range finder indicates 378 yards (4.6 mins according to my ballistics calculator). Couldn't get much mag on as was losing the light but had a clear picture at 12x. Bunny was head on grazing in the field, pulled trigger and that was curtains for thumper. To say I was pleased was an understatement. Am so chuffed thought I'd post something, not usually my style but had to share it. Suffice to say I'm absolutely hooked.

After that shot I thought it was a good time to call it a day so packed everything in my drag bag slung it on my back and wandered down to pick up the bunnies and walked back. Arrived back at my car with kit and 5 rabbits absolutely elated if a bit hot! Having rabbit pie for supper tonight.

For info, rifle is a .223 Valkyrie single shot action, border cut rifled barrel, Macmillan A5 adjustable, Jewell trigger.

Load is 55 grn V max 10 thou off, 27.5 grains Varget, lapua brass with federal small rifle primer.

Scope is a Swarovski 6-24x50 with plex ret.

As you can imagine I'm one happy bunny! Excuse the pun.

Cheers

Rich

Sounds ace! There's some lovely sniping downs in that part if the world (I'm from Wylye originally).

Still struggling for my first 300y+ shot. Had an attempt today at a crow and I too missed high. I was pleased with my guess at windage in a 20+ mph crosswind though :) (40" or '4 crow lengths' !!)

well done pal, long range crows,rabbits you cant beat it, the longer the range the better it gets, i would sooner shoot 5 rabbits at range with a rifle than 20 with a shot gun even though i enjoy doing both, cheers simon....

Sounds a nice set up Rich would be nice to see a pic of the rifle, those Border cut barrels are excellent, got one on my 22/250ack, real nice and accurate.

To shoot rabbits at long range and right on target is sooo satisfying, its good when it all comes together. :)

Archived