Tikka 595 to 7mm WSM?

I am thinking of getting a 7mm WSM, only problem is i'm a left hander. Had a thought that i could possibly build one on a Tikka 595 action, but not sure if the mag would work or if the bolt face could be taken out to accept the magnum cartridge.

Anyone got any thoughts on this or suggest alternatives. Buying new is of course an alternative, but order times are extensive.

Cheers

I wouldn't think it would be cost affective or indeed possible with a 595. Can't remember if they even made a l/h 595. You wouldn't get a mag for a wsm for a 595. I would be looking at different things. Maybe a 7mm rem mag or a 280 AI or a .284 rifles would be easier to find for donors. I don't think you would be giving up that much to a 7mm wsm.

rgds sean

May be a T3 action would be a better bet being long enough to seat bullets properly. Mark has a couple of mags

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/18832-2x-tikka-t3-3-shot-short-magnum-mags/

I'm not sure how much effort it is to open up the bolt face. I know by the time you have found a smith to do that and chambered a barrel your looking at a few months wait.

Probably worth it though.

I would have thought the Tikka short action would be ok for the 7mm WSM as its max overall length is 2.860" where as the .308 is only just over a 1mm shorter at 2.810". Just dont know if the action will take the extra diameter of the magnum case.

I'm not a gunsmith but I can't see why the T3 can't take a .555 diameter case and bolt face opened to .535

I'm sure one of the smiths will chip in shortly.

If you have to find a action and open the bolt face, cost wise your probably £3-400 shy of a custom action. Worth thinking about.

If you planning to 160grn and up your case will be pretty cramped with a coal of 2.860

The cartridge port on a 595 is thin. I dont have a measurement handy, but an AICS magazine wont go inside it to feed. Imagine how full an AICS mag is with a wsm case in it. They will fit, but its full. You would have to open up the port.

Second problem. If you open up the bolt face, the sako extractor will sit too far into the bolt face and wont allow the case to sit in the bolt head. You would have to weld up the extractor slot and refit the extractor.

Buy a custom action, it will be cheaper.

I guess this will be the same then for the 7mm Rem Short Ultra Mag ?

Just the same.

I went through all of this about 5months back Farmboy.

I went for a Borden alpine magnum which is designed for wsm/saum.

Paddy at Dane& co had some in stock, not sure leftys though or get one of Baldies nice actions.

Tried to go to 7mmWSM with a Remmy action. Ended up with a Stiller action and Bergara barrel expertly and speedily built by Steve Kershaw. Absolutely thrilled with it - just taken a follower buck at 318yds!. Thats a long way for me!!.

Don't try to economise: get a good action and a better gunsmith. I initially failed with the second part with someone who (not my words) 'couldn't put a chain on a bike'!.

Why compromise when you can have a true custom action, with the correct bolt face, correct action length and port, and left hand ?

No point in fannying about with a Tikka when you can get it right first time.

This is true, but what of the cost? I do not have thousands to spend.

Since you mentioned it ,why not the 7mm rem short ultra mag - I am pretty sure Remington would do a 700 series rifle for it,maybe LH,and it would not cost 'thousands'. It might well also be well up to scratch for most purposes the cartridge could sensibly be used for ,unless you have in mind extreme fclass etc-but you can't do that cheaply,and be competitive. Some standard rem 700s in modest 308 have shot .6 moa in 1000 yard competitions,and another did pretty well ithe recent egg shoot.Just a thought,balancing unknown use with costs!

Gbal

Most if not all factory Left Handed rifles in magnum calibres will be special order. Therefore time will be the only cost for the likes of a Tikka T3 in 7mmWSM.

By the time you consider any re-barrel let alone work to the action you are looking at >£650.

I would say either a Baldie Valkyrie custom or wait it out for the T3. I would certain drop the ideas of a 595 action.

Well! just found out that theTikka T3 is not available in a 7mm wsm at all in any shape or form, and remington no longer make a rifle in the 7mm short action ultra mag. So its back to the drawing bord. Could I take a Tikka .270 wsm and re barrel to 7mm wsm? or should i look at another caliber all togethter?

Specs: I want and accurate, fast chambering, magnum round, capable of pushing a 175grn bullet to 3000fps.

Fast chambering as i want to take it abroad for driven hunting - and fast and flat to be able to use it for longer range kills on deer. Wanted to stay away from military rounds as they are no good in France

I did not want to spend too much on this rifle as it is not my main squeeze, I already have a Sako 30-06 that i use for most things and a .17 Fireball for the rest.

Well! just found out that theTikka T3 is not available in a 7mm wsm at all in any shape or form, and remington no longer make a rifle in the 7mm short action ultra mag. So its back to the drawing bord. Could I take a Tikka .270 wsm and re barrel to 7mm wsm? or should i look at another caliber all togethter?

Specs: I want and accurate, fast chambering, magnum round, capable of pushing a 175grn bullet to 3000fps.

Fast chambering as i want to take it abroad for driven hunting - and fast and flat to be able to use it for longer range kills on deer. Wanted to stay away from military rounds as they are no good in France

I did not want to spend too much on this rifle as it is not my main squeeze, I already have a Sako 30-06 that i use for most things and a .17 Fireball for the rest.

I doubt that you

will get anything noticeably smoother chambering than your Sako 30-06,especially asyou don't want to spend too much.

Why not use the 30-06 anyway-there arefactory loadings that will give 180 grain at 2900(Hornady BTSP LM inerlock,and any number of 180s at 2700/2750,or say 200 at 2625(norma oryx),220s at 2400(rem ccore lokt,fed sierra sprn).

You might spend a little on a suitable fast short range scope,and use a more than adequate cartridge in a rifle you know?

Of course you would need to check current French regulations about ex military cartridges,for visiting sportsmen.

gbal

I doubt that you

will get anything noticeably smoother chambering than your Sako 30-06,especially asyou don't want to spend too much.

Why not use the 30-06 anyway-there arefactory loadings that will give 180 grain at 2900(Hornady BTSP LM inerlock,and any number of 180s at 2700/2750,or say 200 at 2625(norma oryx),220s at 2400(rem ccore lokt,fed sierra sprn).

You might spend a little on a suitable fast short range scope,and use a more than adequate cartridge in a rifle you know?

Of course you would need to check current French regulations about ex military cartridges,for visiting sportsmen.

gbal

My 30-06 is a nice action, but it is still a no no in France and is not a good set up for driven. It is sat in a heavy laminated thumb hole stock and i dont want to be changing the setup on a rifle. + i want a 7mm magnum

My 30-06 is a nice action, but it is still a no no in France and is not a good set up for driven. It is sat in a heavy laminated thumb hole stock and i dont want to be changing the setup on a rifle. + i want a 7mm magnum

8mm Rem mag 175 at 3100

7mmSTW

7mmWeatherby Mag 175 3070

7 rem mag 175 2860

300 win mag 180 2960

you have some chanc of getting some of these in a factory rifle perfectly capable as a sporter.If you find the 30-06 ok,you should noy

t find the mag action too troublesome,you won't need or get many chances where the reloading time is realistically increased by an extra half inch of cartridge,given the recoil etc,anyhow.

I think I have seen the 300 BAR used in France if you put firepower above all else.

Just maybe,you are trying to get two uses that are not really that compatible,in LH and modest price,to boot,though it's unusual not to have some options.

35 whelen 180 at 2700,factory bolt options (30-06 necked up)

gbal

Archived