What do you wear when shooting

sonic

What do you wear when you go out shooting.

For instance I tend to go for moleskin trousers and tweed coat when I'm likely to meet the public. I have found that people are more likely to be receptive to an explanation of what you're doing and why

Camo for when I need to but leave the jacket off on the way there, going in the shop etc.

What do you wear when you go out shooting.

For instance I tend to go for moleskin trousers and tweed coat when I'm likely to meet the public. I have found that people are more likely to be receptive to an explanation of what you're doing and why

Camo for when I need to but leave the jacket off on the way there, going in the shop etc.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Gbal

depends were I am going. 1st priority is comfort, I don't want to be too hot or cold and certainly don't want to be soaked to the skin either by rain or sweat.

Cammo and the public perception of it has changed some over the last few years, due no doubt to the carp fishing trend to wear it and yes even the fact that it is sold by farm supplies and builders merchants etc. Full DPM? well it really does look more military, so although very cheap its something I avoid mostly. All cammo can be off set in the public eye via a tweed cap or other more traditional shooting clothes being added. Though yes I do wear it its hard enough to get in range of quarry like corvids etc as it is.

Fact is a bright orange or blue gortex rain jacket and a woolly bobble hat will create more derision in many parts, add two walking poles and a rucksack round here and your just about public enemy number one round my parts so it depends very much on location. Some of the local non shooting farmers have quite taken to the shooting type cammo apparel of late I note, perhaps like the shooter there aint much choice now the market has swung that way

I should certainly switch to tweed if I could bung it in the washing machine every few days and if it didn't get heavy and uncomfortable after heavy rain. Indeed its very effective on the moor and fell being first developed as a cammo. Fact is there is a real lack of good non cammo shooting gear that isn't just a dark green block.

Have only had one issue when a bloke dressed mostly in tight fitting black and hi-viz lycra wizzed past me on his bike and made a sly comment to his mate (dressed similary) about Joe 90. I was in my Cabelas mossy oak chesties and a max 4 rivers west eider jacket at the time with a belt of shells round my waist and a gun over my shoulder but if you think I am going back to a wax jacket and rubber thigh boots on the salt marsh you have to be kidding. Personally I think it was a case pot calling the Kettle as there is nowt so daft as a middle aged hetro sexual bloke with a bit of a beer gut dressed in hi viz tight fitting lycra.

Totally dependant on what I'm doing.

If I knew I was meeting 'the public' I'd dress like he public, nothing at all indicating shooting, that would include moleskins, tweeds etc. i.e. look just like 'them' to appear 'just like them' in any discussion.

Shooting on ranges tends to be greens and nautrals, but my waterproofs are Multicam.

Game or stalking depends on where, when and who with.

Terry

A leather hardback shooting coat from Creedmoor Sports with rubber grip pad on the right shoulder.

Les Tam leather sling on the upper arm, Creedmoor Sports shooting mitt, Zeiss shooting glasses, baseball cap, 5.11 trousers and Danner boots.

That's when I shoot HighPower, when I Shoot Civ SR, I wear a combat jacket and canvas sling and fleece cap and a hoodie

Always wear the same things to be consistent

Archived