Acceptable accuracy for CSR

maxxis35

Working up a round for my AUG today and I got some 5 shot groups a little larger than an inch, some where bigger as my rest isn't the best and I,m still getting used to the trigger, I even had some 3 shots out of the 5 around thumb nail sized, what kind of accuracy are you straight pull users happy with to compete in CSR comps.

I used 25.4 grains of Varget and 69 grain Sierra match kings, my forward rest is too spongy so the groups opened up a bit on some tests, did a 10 shot spread which wasn't so good, but was under 3 inch, may need a little tweaking,will try a load at mag length, looks promising for my first load work with it.

I used 25.4 grains of Varget and 69 grain Sierra match kings, my forward rest is too spongy so the groups opened up a bit on some tests, did a 10 shot spread which wasn't so good, but was under 3 inch, may need a little tweaking,will try a load at mag length, looks promising for my first load work with it.

One problem of course is that it is not easy to set bullet jump/not into the rifling. As you can' t easily get any measure,like the Stoney Point,into the beast.So it's back to the old smokey bullet,and look for the rifling scratch marks,and reduce seating depth.Not exactly precise......

Has to be less than mag max,of course but that is crude,and does not take into account ogive shapes for different bullet(s),and a few thou are often critical.....

Gbal

Had the same problem with my AR rifles, used to have the loads virtually mag length, got my best results with that method,stuck with the formula today as it showed promise sometimes 3 of the 5 shots where touching then a couple of fliers, pilot error, will try again soon with a little more experimentation, will get it sorted, AUG imo under rated.

All my experience with the Steyr AUG as made my the Aussies , has been positive , as to it being under rated , its a case of NIH ( not invented here ) , by the Yanks , and of course BS phoebia of Oh no , you cannot shoot it LH ,

The NZ Army short list , was mirrored by Aussie , ie the M16A2 or the AUG , we where using the L1A1 ( SLR ) as std rifle , and the M16A1 in the role of SMG , ie lead scort & section commander in the infantry sect .

before a decision was made , I got to shoot both the M16A2 & the AUG , and I was inpressed by the AUG , and very un-impressed with the M16A2 .

Saw vids the Aussies made , ie freeze/sand , mud , and salt water corrision etc , under extremes the M16 just would not fire at all , and the AUG at least fired as a straight pull repeater , due to the gas port on both being damaged by the level of rust & corrision of the gas port & parts .

Of all the 5.56x45mm rifles I have seen , the 2 that I would want the most are the AUG & the SIG 550 .

I have seen the AUGs literally thrown onto & off the back of MOGs ( trucks ) , and left rolling about in the bottom of the M113 APCs for weeks and still go bang .

Accuracy is around 1-2 inches at 100m , most will put all their 5 shots into a area covered by a 1 inche square patch , the type we had to stick over the holes on the tgts , and thats with mil ammo , not match .

One thing we had problems with was we where use to heavily oiling our SLRs & M16s , and the AUG really liked to run basically dry in comparision .

Contray to internet opinion , they simply worked well , and IF you heard tales of them melting or of them falling apart its just un informed BS , usually driven by some who , 1 ) Knows NOTHING or 2 ) Some one who knows NOTHING & lusts for some thing else , just because they cannot have IT .

The 2 problems I have heard of , are the butt plate falling OFF even when correctly assembled & problems with the weapon not being able to be unloaded safely due to design , ie problems with the extractor , not extracting the round .

The 1st dates to the NZ OCS ( officer school ) , been using the AUG for a couple of yrs , and then got pogued to OCS to fill out their sections , just as numbers .

And was surprised to see them all with a load of black plastic tape alround the butt plates , I asked why ? , they said , they keep falling OFF even when correctly installed , I said , OK , ie Yeah right it does , IT does If you are a idiot , Opps , I forgot they are Officers .

So for those who donot understand the above ,

1 ) The butt plate does NOT fall of when the rifle is assembled correctly .

2 ) As long as the sling pin has not slipped out due to in correct assembly , the rifle will still fire OK .

3 ) Refer to #1 .

As to the clearing the rifle , due to extraction problems , NO problem as far as Kiwis where concerned .

ONLY when we went to Aus on exercise , did the SNCOs pull the kiwi SNCOs aside , and ASK , how we handled all the ADs , accidental discharges , due to the weapon being hard to clear , I thought they where joking , BUt said we donot have any issues with the clearing of the AUG , YES the ejection port is smaller than say the SLR ( which you could stick your finger in due to size of port & larger calibre ) .

They said they had lots of problems , with rifles firing after being cleared by NCOs .

They said we ( Kiwis ) would have to use THEIR clearance drill , which was a unload , lock parts to rear & dismount / remove the barrel , and hold the m both on top of shoulder to be cleared by the BLIND NCOs .

As crazy as it was , thats what we did , WHY , does the AUG have a faulty extractor , and at times leaves a live round in the chamber , even when the soldier has done the correct drills , NO .

There is NO extractor problem , design or other wise , so whats the problem ,

Soldiers lying & NCOs lying to cover their own slopy drills , & the head shed for beleaving them .

So just lazy drills and supervision , it is harder to see into the port , BUT if you are the NCO clearing the rifles , do your bloody job , get at the right angel to see into the port & carry a small touch if needed .

So in short , donot always beleive the internet or others that are un-informed & tell you BS .

Later Chris

Thankyou for that post, I really do rate this rifle a lot, and I believe what you have said has gone some way to fuel it's unpopularity, that and the endless options on offer with the AR platform,call me easily pleased but I think the cocking effort isn't as bad as I've been led to believe, and the trigger as it stands is better than expected and far better than the STD unit I had on my AR, the only thing I wished it had on the UK legal rifle is the quick release barrel button as I'm unsure of pull through cleaning effectiveness.

I used the AUG daily a few years ago until it was replaced with the awful HKG36. It was an accurate carbine, more than capable of sub MOA groups at 100 yards, and hitting moving Fig12s in the inner ring at 200. Very user friendly no but pad or extraction issues. This was with Winchester 55 grain soft point. I had one as my sub calibre weapon on my Sniper course and could pass the classification shoot with it. Those with HKs did not! I always thought that an AUG in 308 would be unbeatable. It is a shame that the G36 is not better. I used to be sold on HK especially the G3K but that was replaced by the equally awful 417.

Rant over!

If you can shoot 2 MOA all day long in a CSR match, you'll go home as the winner

Don't get hung up on the barrel release button, it's a military rifle with a chrome bore.

Cleaning won't make much difference to the accuracy

• 1 month later...

RE ; the quick change barrel , ie the spring loaded locking button , and slight twist/turn to unlock the barrel , when we wanted the most accuracy , and for comps etc , most shooters would leave the QD barrel in place in the housing/receiver , and clean it in place .

But even if you popped the barrel out to clean it , as its easier to clean that way , due to the design of the barrel , has two bearing surfaces , at either end , and we felt IF the POI did change , it was very small , on the order of only 1/2 moa shift at the max , and sometimes no shift .

In ways I feel the AUG is very modular , ie QD barrels , change out super fast , use to get 12 , 16 , 20 & 24 inche tubes , then you had 40mm M203PIs as well , and it would be the perfect host for say a short 12 inche , 300 BLK suppressed barrel .

Later Chris

Archived