300BLK , Rem700

ChrisF

Hi Guys ,

Any one have experience running one of these subsonic , looking at wanting to run subsonic only , looking at using 220gr SMK & maybe lead cast 245gr , and also looking at chopping barrel to 12 inches or less , from the original 16.5 .

1st impressions are good , nicely made , BUT a lot heavier than i thought it would be , and alot of flex in the hogue stock at tip of fore end .

Later Chris

I ran a 12" barrel on an AR. It was supposedly a 1 in 8". it didn't like the 220,s but shot the 200 grain lapua subsonics ok. I felt the barrel was too short, making it difficult to make subsonic. I plan another go at some point with a longer barrel.

Bradders on here has built a good few of these on AR,s , he will most likely chime in with some thoughts.

Yeap , this rifle from Rem has a 1-7 twist 5R , so it should be good for subsonic 220-240gr SMK , want to also give cast lead a go as well .

From the little research I have done , it seems quite sentitive to powder choice , especially IF you are using in AR15 semi-auto rifle , maybe less in a bolt gun .

As this rifle is factory from Rem , it should feed/eject OK , as people who have made their own off 223 Rem 700 had ejection issues , due to the case being much shorter than the 223 case .

Rem made mods to the bolt when they made a 221 fireball version of the 700 , so in shor t for the 300 Whisper or the similar 300 BKL to work in the 700 it has to be built using the modied bolt as used on the 221 Fireball .

Another rifle I would like to use for subsonic only is the Ruger bolt action 357Mag rifle , BUT I feel to run right , you need a custom barrel with a tighter twist than is std on the Ruger rifle , so you can use bullets approaching 250grs & a 38spl case etc .

But for people who what a subsonic rig with most of the work DONE , then I think this rifle offers a lot for the money .

Later Chris

Have not got exact info on the actual mods done , but expect the extractor to be slightly different and ejector as well from the std they use on the 223 rifle , will see IF I can take a pic of it in a few days .

as I said before , quite impressed with the quality of the rifle so far , just wish Remington would drill and tap the base holes to the bigger threads used by most that put pit canny rails on them , also wish that Rem would include a base with their rifles , would mean you could shoot the rifle sooner etc .

Later. Chris

• 2 months later...

Easy modifications to make it feed and extract . Same as the ones for 6mmBr.

The 17Fb and I believe the 221fb action has a modified magazine box, again, not difficult, and a twin scalloped feed ramp to facilitate feed from both sides of the mag box.

Whilst the calibre fascinates me in an AR...its just because its an AR . I cant see a use in a bolt gun apart from plinking. The bullets used dont expand so no use for foxes, and I would imagine not deer legal either.

Thats no reason not to try it though. You dont have to have a reason to have fun do you ? :)

I've got a shot out .17 Remmy 700 Bought just for this purpose, Shot one of the aac ones a few years ago and was very impressed!

I,ve still got that length of barrel sat here if you want it ?

I forgot all about that Dave! It's been a very busy time! Remind me again at the end of August when I get back off my honeymoon and we'll sort it out :)

No problem buddy. ;)

Gazza , extraction is no problem at all, its hardly a hot load , and great fun.

Another rifle I would like to use for subsonic only is the Ruger bolt action 357Mag rifle , BUT I feel to run right , you need a custom barrel with a tighter twist than is std on the Ruger rifle , so you can use bullets approaching 250grs & a 38spl case etc .

Later Chris

Sounds interesting. I had planned to treat myself to a subsonic /suppressed take down .357 leaver rifle as a fun galley and plinking rifle. Got the fac slots approved all ready for it too, as well as for the 457 Alaskan Magnum in the picture.

But due to being too busy to get to the 25m range during the week, I lost interest in the project. :blush::(

I think it would have been a lot of fun though. :blush:

P1120895-1024x684.jpg

The thought of using the 457 Alaskan Magnum with one of those nifty Zeiss scopes with the laser range finder built in. ^_^:)

Ben

Quite curious about this calibre............. is it just a case of needing a new bolt, barrel and upper for an AR15 ?

Mark... How much are the dies?

Think I was asking about £70 for them Gary

They're Redding dies

All you would need is a barrel w/extn, unless you wanted a complete upper

Sounds interesting. I had planned to treat myself to a subsonic /suppressed take down .357 leaver rifle as a fun galley and plinking rifle. Got the fac slots approved all ready for it too, as well as for the 457 Alaskan Magnum in the picture.

But due to being too busy to get to the 25m range during the week, I lost interest in the project. :blush::(

I think it would have been a lot of fun though. :blush:

P1120895-1024x684.jpg

The thought of using the 457 Alaskan Magnum with one of those nifty Zeiss scopes with the laser range finder built in. ^_^:)

Ben

Similar thinking :D

I've just bought a Co-pilot in 45-70, waiting on my variation so it can come home to play.

I have a very short barrel .357 Marlin and I had a modular Atec bored out to suit but my first attempts at subsonics were frankly pretty damn noisy, maybe my expectations were more Hollywood than reality as I don't have any experience of subsonics outside of .22lr.

As an indication, just how quiet is a moderated 300 BLK compared to say a moderated .22lr?

Tony

Similar thinking :D

I've just bought a Co-pilot in 45-70, waiting on my variation so it can come home to play.

I have a very short barrel .357 Marlin and I had a modular Atec bored out to suit but my first attempts at subsonics were frankly pretty damn noisy, maybe my expectations were more Hollywood than reality as I don't have any experience of subsonics outside of .22lr.

As an indication, just how quiet is a moderated 300 BLK compared to say a moderated .22lr?

Tony

It's a bit louder when stood next to it.

Probably about the same as an un-suppressed .22 firing subsonics

Archived