Reloading SMLE .303, light loads.

farmer7

Hi folks, as per title I've an old SMLE I'd like to reload with some light loads. Anyone with experience?

I used to reload for it when I was in my late teens using 150gr Speer SP's and H414 which was a very accurate.

I was given the rifle by my great Uncle when I was 17 and killed many a beastie with it, including my first Red and my first fox when I didn't have a more modern rifle!

I havent fired it in some years , maybe 10. As its a bit of an heirloom I'd dont want to wear it out too much(or have it blow up in my face!) I just want to use it for a bit of plinking or an odd rabbit!

Anyway I was thinking of maybe a cast lead bullet to save on barrel wear and a lightish charge. Does anyone else reload these or have any loading info? I've a few powders that need using up so would be good if I could utilise these. Unique, Trail Boss, H4227, 'Lil Gun.

Any loading data or if anyone has cast bullets to sell I'd like to buy some! Also if anyone have any boxer cases available, once fired would be fine.

Any input appreciated! Thanks.

Also I've quite a number of MK VII rounds and Kynoch SP's if anyone wants to trade for components!

P.S. Anyone have a Lee Collet Die for .303 for sale?

I have an SMLE too. I've always used the 174 grain bullet. Try 44.0 grains of BL-C(2), 37 grains of H4895 or 40.0 grains of Viht N140. They work for me.

Hi Brillo I presume the 174 you use is a jacketed bullet? I was hoping to try some cast bullets with gas checks maybe. As for charges I was looking to use a light charge, for maybe 1500-2000fps. As she's in retiral now I thought I'd give her an easier life!

If you do go down that road whatever you do don't put a jacketed round through it without removing all the lead first.

I had a No4 let go and although it was not proven that may of been a factor.

If you do go down that road whatever you do don't put a jacketed round through it without removing all the lead first.

I had a No4 let go and although it was not proven that may of been a factor.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll bear that in mind. What failed on the No.4?

the extractor blew out. I was using up ammo had some lead loads and some FMJ (it was in 7.62) had used the lead ones up then fired some FMJ. Like I said I'm not sure of the exact cause. But I'd not take the chance.

Hi folks, as per title I've an old SMLE I'd like to reload with some light loads. Anyone with experience?

I used to reload for it when I was in my late teens using 150gr Speer SP's and H414 which was a very accurate.

I was given the rifle by my great Uncle when I was 17 and killed many a beastie with it, including my first Red and my first fox when I didn't have a more modern rifle!

I havent fired it in some years , maybe 10. As its a bit of an heirloom I'd dont want to wear it out too much(or have it blow up in my face!) I just want to use it for a bit of plinking or an odd rabbit!

Anyway I was thinking of maybe a cast lead bullet to save on barrel wear and a lightish charge. Does anyone else reload these or have any loading info? I've a few powders that need using up so would be good if I could utilise these. Unique, Trail Boss, H4227, 'Lil Gun.

Any loading data or if anyone has cast bullets to sell I'd like to buy some! Also if anyone have any boxer cases available, once fired would be fine.

Any input appreciated! Thanks.

Also I've quite a number of MK VII rounds and Kynoch SP's if anyone wants to trade for components!

P.S. Anyone have a Lee Collet Die for .303 for sale?

I collect Lee Enfields and have shot many thousands of cast bullets through dozens of rifles over the years. I have used Unique, AA 5744, H-4895 and other powders. There are some preparations needed for cast bullet shooting. If you want to PM me I'd be happy to help you out. With a well fit bullet, loaded properly in a decent rifle, accuracy will be very good indeed.~Andrew

Archived